Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Why the heck are there so many problems with these SSD & USB drives? I think Allen & Heath should do a better job in spec’ing the hardware used, especially since the functionality and the usability of this port is relaying upon 3rd party manufacturers and products. Either A&H needs to offer their own product solution or get a better product manager to get it right.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@drobare Hi Dwayne, at the time of development mechanical HDD devices were the defacto medium for recording, since then the USB flash medium has become the ubiquitous format. Unfortunately there are some incompatibilities with Qu-Drive and more modern Flash USB chipsets plus other drive management protocols such as drive TRIM and Garbage management which effect performance of these devices, which are not a problem with mechanical HDD’s. In addition to this flash USB device manufacturers change and technologies change all the time so we cannot guarantee devices will always be compatible. It would be very difficult for us to offer our own branded solution as different customers have different requirements and these devices would be cost-inhibitive to most of our customers compared to widely available devices. This is why we have the compatibility information and ask our customers to help us source this. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. Thanks. Harry.

Profile photo of tatygoncalves
    tatygoncalves
    Participant

Here in Brazil it was difficult to find the Sandisk Extreme, tested many others. Only with him got the good result without error with multitrack recording.

David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi all, this is to notify the Integral Solid State Drive 128GB has now been removed from the verified devices list following compatibility failures in the field.
    Thanks. Harry.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Part of the issue of course is that manufactures change the internals of devices without any external warning…

Grr

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

A few questions please…

I have the QU-16 Chrome Edition…

I just want to buy storage something that works…

1. There is mention of the Scandisk Extreme CFast Reader. I am to understand this works as expected, and all you need to do is buy the media? How many min/hours would teh 128GB be able to contain? I’m sure having multiples of the media would make this a pretty good solution.

2. As far as flash drives are concerned… Any of the ones tested by A&H should work fine?

Regards,

Dwayne

David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi Dwyane,

1. A&H haven’t tested the SanDisk Extreme CFast Readers, but we’ve had a positive report from a fellow user.
    You need the Card Reader + compatible CFast Memory Card.

The opening post to the thread contains links to all the information you require including the Understanding Qu-Drive and USB Devices knowledge base article

This says: “The maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 GB. Qu-Drive audio data rate per track is 8.24 MB / minute (144 KB / second). This would allow a maximum recording time of roughly 8 hours. For 18 tracks you would need 72 GB drive capacity for the maximum recording time”

So 128GB would give you roughly 15.5 hours recording time for 18 tracks, bearing in mind that you will have to stop and restart recording after the first 8 hours…

2. in theory, yes, but we always advise caution as Bob says, USB device manufacturers may change chipset at any time and without warning, that why we’re asking to community to let us know when they find one that doesn’t work any more.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Harry.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

I have to say Ive tried a few sticks and an external drive. Compared to the reliability of my Linux machines and their standard mobo USB2/USB3 ports the QU-SB is sadly lacking – you have good o/s under the hood – there really isnt a reason for the USB to be so flakey when EVERY single one of my linux and windows machines CAN read and write to my usb sticks – yet the QU-SB often cant even see the disk – without getting into the o/s its hard for me to determine what is going on…

Ive seeen A&H make a lot of excuses – but Im a linux developer and have been a software developer for over 27 years. Ive worked on linux for much of that time. Ive worked down at kernel level on anti-virus. Im at a loss as to why it is the QU range is so picky. I understand stick performance differs – but there is no reason why the QU range should not be able to see, mount, repartition and make a filesystem at the very minimum.

Its disappointing guys. I can only assume the chips you are using for the USB are the issue. They just arent up to grade – and thats a real shame. A&H are better than that…

Anyway. With regard to reliable performance USB sticks the Sandisk Extreme USB3 64GB (SDCZ80-064G) has been absolutely solid for me – in fact its the only stick that has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ80-064G-X46-Extreme-Flash-Drive/dp/B007YXA5SI

Im buying more of these to use with the system. They just work.

Regards,
    Barry

Profile photo of Einstein
    Einstein
    Participant

Sandisk Extreme 3.0 is without a dude the best drive for recording.
    Two weeks ago, I recorded 3 metal acts during a festival here in Medellin and it works!!

Profile photo of BBEgo
    BBEgo
    Participant

Multitrack recording encounters occasional skipping with the WD My Passport Ultra.

I wonder if a higher quality cable would help it perform better. Might be that it comes down to the QU-16 not being able to get enough juice to it.

Profile photo of dtrt
    dtrt
    Participant

I used a Transcend Jetflash 730 16 GB. Works in general, but recording stereo seems to have some hicks.
    Question to A&H: A test program for the recording would be perfect. Simulating writing at needed speed and read and compare. I can look for test on a PC but would not guarantee that I got the same result with an Qu-24.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Problems have nothing to do with write speed but with realtime behaviour of the underlying flash storage. Sticks listed to not record stereo may still have a high read/write speed, but they need some internal time after some amount of blocks written which locks communication completely for some 100mSec (saw values above 600mSec). This is negligible for data but is rather fatal during audio streaming.
    Mechanical disks in contrast suffer from mechanical shake, fragmentation and bad block management.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

At the end, nothing works on Qu-Audio with my QU-SB
    I ordered the SANDISK EXTREME 3.0 – 32 GB
    I tested all USB-Sticks I had at home
    I tested all Hard-Disks I had at home
    Think I will send it back to the music-Shop.

First Time I use Allen & Heath — and —- BIG SHIT!

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Thank you BArry, for the tip. U owe me 32 bucks, because it sucks.
    How do you did it, that It works????????????????????????

Profile photo of Karl
    Karl
    Participant

Try this 32GB USB Stick from PNY. I use it on my QU-32 and it is working without any Errors. Also the 64Gigabyte Stick from the same Producer.
    Here is the Link: https://www.pny.eu/consumer/explore-all-products/usb-flash-drives/387-attache-4-3-0-32gb

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.