Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello Alex (And everyone!)
    Just to remind you all that you can refer to the first page of this thread to see and access the list of tested devices, where you can verify your USB devices and see if any incompatibility issues have been found with it.

If you are having further technical issues with your recordings or any other application of the USB interface, please send a message to the support centre (support@allen-heath.com) and we’ll be happy to assist!
    Thank you,
    Rafael

Profile photo of Jacobrownoly
    Jacobrownoly
    Participant

I can also confirm that the Sansdisk extreme 500gb works perfectly. Got on Amazon for £80.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I would like to reply to Jacob’s post #109586 re the SanDisk Extreme 500GB SSD. In my SQ-5, I am not ready to say it “works perfectly”.

The drive model number is SDSSDE61-500G.

My experience with a 24-track recording of a Dante stream at 48k was not perfect. I recorded a performance last night – a 20 minute opener, and 2 halves of a concert roughly 50-minutes each.

The opener seemed to record fine. It was only piano/vocal, and I haven’t listened to the full recording, but I don’t anticipate hearing any problems. The first 50-minute set of the “headliner” seemed to record 24 tracks fine, but when I stopped the recorder at the intermission, there was a message on the recorder screen saying the drive was “busy”. I assumed the drive was “finalizing” the recording, as other recorders do. But the “busy” message lasted for the full length of the intermission and into the start of the 2nd set, and I was not able to record the second half of the concert. During this time, the onscreen “USB Playback Load” meter continued to scroll through indications of a maximum load. There were 0 error messages.

After the 2nd half of the concert, I disconnected and reconnected the SanDisk USB drive, and the drive was again ready to be armed and to record.

I’ve quickly scanned thru the 24 tracks that were recorded, and early indications are that only the first few minutes successfully recorded. I’ll report back again when I’ve had the chance to load all the tracks into a DAW for a closer listen. I’ll also make this post into a service ticket and send it to A&H support, as David suggested at the beginning of this thread.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Photos of the SanDisk drive mentioned in my post above. Sorry for my upload confusion.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I can understand the enthusiasm that some forum members may have if they’ve “discovered” a USB drive that’s compatible. But people – PLEASE!! Curb your enthusiasm!!

For example, on May 25, 2022 someone entered info for an Adata Sata3 drive and claimed it was compatible for stereo and multitrack recording. Then in the comments column, they say “In multi-track recording it has gaps of between 5-10 seconds – tested.” So why answer “yes” in the multitrack recording compatible column?

On June 6, 2022 is an entry for a Kingston Data Traveller SE9 drive, claiming compatibility for multitrack recording. In the comments, the user writes “Works well, but occasionally will drop data.” Sounds like it’s incompatible for multitrack recording, doesn’t it?

So far, I’ve only found one drive for an SQ that SEEMS to be compatible for multitrack recording, and that’s a Verbatim V3 Drive USB3.2 Gen 1 listed on Dec 29, 2021. Are there any others KNOWN to be reliable for multitrack recording on an SQ? Anything tested by A&H?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@irabob

Also the Samsung T5 & T7 SSD drives work great.

🙂

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Thank you Lee. Can you say the T5 and T7 are reliable on the SQ desks? And for multitrack recording? Someone posted in the Compatibility Chart on May 25, 2022 that the T7 worked for QU desks, but no comment I’ve found relates to the SQs. That would be GREAT if those Samsungs worked in the SQ.

However, in one of the pertinent SQ forum threads, some users – or maybe they’re A&H techs – say that a USB SSD drive with a separate power supply is the way to go. Any comment?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@irabob

I can’t comment in regards to the SQ desks but I can confirm that the above SSD drives work great for multi track recording on the QU variants. I would imagine that Samsung drives would work fine with the SQ.

Cheers

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Today, I recorded from my SQ6 in anger for the first time. 16 track multi-rack orchestral performance. I recorded to a bus-powered Samsung SSD (MU-PA1T0B 1GB) for the first half and switched out to an externally powered OWC spinning drive (On-The-Go) at intermission.

Both drives seemed to have captured all the files with no errors. I was a bit disappointed that the labeling of the tracks on the drive was simple TRK01.WAV, TRK05.WAV etc, not named like the tracks were in the record screen and on the front of the desk. Renaming those takes more time after they are imported into a DAW.

More puzzling was that the drives recorded 30 tracks, 14 of them with no files assigned, completely black, as expected. But why did it record the extra blank tracks? The sample rate of the recording was 48k so 32 tracks showed as available in the Multi-track screen but only 16 were assigned via the USB screen in the I/O window. I am guessing this was a mis-set by me but I’d be happy for someone to tell me what I did wrong.

Anyway, it seems that these two media work, at least in any case, on this day.

I had two other recorders working, just in case, so I am not at full-level trust just yet (and I will ALWAYS record a full backup. Always.)

D.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Both the QU & SQ desks will only record 18 tracks to USB via the top mounted QU-drive, which 18 inputs, auxs or mixes you wish to record is entirely upto you, but you can only have 18. On the QU it will only record 18 channels, but you’re saying the SQ recorded 30? Having never used the SQ I cannot confirm that is correct as I am led to believe the QU/SQ-drive work in the same way?

Track names on both systems are listed ‘TRK’ and there is no way of changing that. This is something that you will have to do in your DAW.

Cheers

tourtelot
    Participant

Why then did I show 30 “TRKS” on my drive with only the ones assigned in the I/O USB screen containing actual audio files? I thought the SQ-Drive could record 64 TRKS at 48k. Seems like if I had assigned mics to 30 . . .

D.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

The QU can record 32 tracks via the USB-B input/output on the rear but only 18 tracks via the QU-drive on the top. I suspect the SQ can record 64 via the rear input/output and still only 18 via the SQ-drive on the top. Although it shows 32 tracks you can only assign 18, which inputs/outputs is up to you.

Cheers

tourtelot
    Participant

I just looked at the manual. It seems that I read that the SQ-Drive can record 32-tacks at 96k and 64-tracks at 48k.

I just looked at the I/O screen on my mixer and in the USB out page, channels 17-30 were grey’d out is if patched but nothing seems to have been actually assigned to those outputs. I just assigned a random channel to each output and then un-assigned the same patch. Now those channels are no longer grey’d out and I suspect, will not record empty tracks onto the drive plugged into the top USA port (SQ-Drive) on the desk.

Learning more each day I work with my SQ.

D.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Hi Lee,
    I can confirm by looking at Chapter 13 Page 92 of the SQ Reference Guide v1.5 that the SQ-Drive – the port on the top of the console – can record 32 channels at 48k sample rate or 16 channels at 96k. The USB-B port at the rear of the console “allows 32 inputs and 32 outputs simultaneously at either 96k or 48K”.

Reading further that chapter, here is an issue that Doug Tourtelot mentions in his post:
    In Chapter 13.3 SQ-Drive Multitrack Recording and Playback, under the subheading “Formats and Folders”, a sentence reads, “The name of the recorded SQ channel is stored as the ‘Track Name’ of the file. This would SEEM to indicate that the label you give to an input being recorded SHOULD be the name of the WAV file recorded.

Since this thread doesn’t seem to be noticed by A&H techs, I’m going to send a note to tech support asking for clarification.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@irabob

I can only talk about the limitations of the QU series as I have never used the SQ. But if what you say is true, that is certainly a big improvement.

The QU series can only record 18 channels via the QU-Drive at 48khz and 32 inputs & 32 outputs via the rear USB B input also at 48khz. However you cannot change file names in the desk to suit, thisis something that you have to do in your DAW. Not the end of the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.