Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Einstein
    Einstein
    Participant

Hi folks,

Please read the article “About Pen Drive Issues” in my blog https://lixosd.wordpress.com/2020/07/23/about-pen-drive-issues/ where you will know about my experience with a curious 3.1 flash drive show in this message. Thanks for your support

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for sharing.
    Brilliant to hear and YES
    M88 on vocals with QU series sound fantastic!
    And Reaper has always worked exceptionally well for me with QU series!

Profile photo of BizBach
    BizBach
    Participant

The Transcend sticks work (one of the few A&H approved ones that’s still commonly available). BUUUUUT, they only work if you keep clearing them off. After they get somewhat full, and I don’t mean 90%, but maybe even 50-70%, they start skipping like a CD, repeating bits of audio, skipping over bits of audio, etc.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@bizbach

Commonly available where ?

AH actually approved it??
    Or did it just show up on a list that someone says that it worked for them?

Profile photo of masher_uk
    masher_uk
    Participant

Hello, can someone please just give me the make and model of a usb drive that records multi-track reliably. I’ve tried several on the list without success including SanDisk and Transcend, and I suspect Amazon are getting tired of my endless returns! Thank you.

volounteer
    Participant

@masher_uk

MikeC seems to have the best possible chance for success with his preferred drive.
    Search for his answer here.

He did say this in 89226
    Put one your fresh Data Travlers in the QU Drive, while in the format menu, give the mixer a few seconds to look at the drive.

Disregard the warnings and proceed to hit the format button and hit yes to proceed, after it formats give it 30 seconds or so and it will verify the drive and say OK on the screen. Your good to go then.
    Do pull the drive out the first second you see a warning pop up!!

IF you try to format a drive and the progress bar never moves at all after a few minutes, (give it chance) then that drive is not going to format, pull it out and move on.

***content removed – does not contribute to the thread***

masher_uk
    Participant

Thanks to Volounteer for your response. OK so I’ve been experimenting with various drives and here in a nutshell are my findings/conclusions:

1. Most USB thumb drives are OK for recording stereo but useless for multitrack. The only one that records with zero errors is a 1GB Kingston Data Traveller II. Obviously, this low capacity (6 minutes) makes it completely impractical for recording say a gig or rehearsal session. Even much newer, higher capacity USB 3.1 drives, such as the 64GB Kingston Jetflash 710 and 128GB Kingston Data Traveller IV failed to record error free and some, like the 64GB SanDisk Extreme Go, even failed to be recognised by the Qu-SB.

2. However, multitrack recording success has been achieved with an old 500 GB USB2.0 LaCie Desktop Hard Disk (https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Desktop-Hard-500GB-USB2-0/dp/B000WH7P90). This reports an 8 hour capacity and I obtained a continuous 5 hour multitrack recording with zero errors. And yes, I did listen back to all 5 hours.

So in conclusion, thumb drives are a waste of time for multitrack. The difference with desktop devices must be that their internal cache memory facilitates management of the high data throughput. They’re bulky and often require their own mains supply. If anyone can recommend a modern, compact unit that preferably doesn’t require a separate power supply then I’m all ears…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So in conclusion, thumb drives are a waste of time for multitrack. The difference with desktop devices must be that their internal cache memory facilitates management of the high data throughput. They’re bulky and often require their own mains supply. If anyone can recommend a modern, compact unit that preferably doesn’t require a separate power supply then I’m all ears…

A friend of mine has a 200 gig (I’ll get the model form him) thumb drive/external drive that works for all of him multitrack recordings.
    It does not need any external power with a short cable it plugs directly into the USB Q Drive jack.

The Sans Disc Extreme 3 USB drive worked great for multitrack……until Sans Disc changed the hardware in the drive. I was lucky and got a couple of the origianls.

volounteer
    Participant

@masher_uk

Things keep changing. What used to work may now fail.

My experience is that OLD usb2 devices work fine.
    Most NEW ones are not recognized and cannot be used at all.

I do not know of any units that do not nee a separate power supply. But there may be some out there somewhere.

I can understand not recording well.
    But I am still befuddled as to why there are so many that are not even recognized so you could try to format them.

masher_uk
    Participant

Thanks, I look forward to receiving the details…

masher_uk
    Participant

@ volounteer

Yes all drives were reformatted. I specifically purchased a 64GB Kingston DT SE9 because it is USB 2.0 only. Fine for stereo only…

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Exactly!

Thanks for proving what I have been saying.

Just because a brand make model version yada yada worked once does not mean that same packaged device will work now if you buy a new one.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks for proving what I have been saying.

Just because a brand make model version yada yada worked once does not mean that same packaged device will work now if you buy a new one.

But it’s not a one size fits all statement I made. In that statement I was only referring to the Sans Disc Extreme 3.

To date all Kingston Data Traveler series from ones purchased five years ago to just last month have worked in all QU’s old and new and the SQ’s I have used or installed.

I do agree with “Masher” that the Data Travlers are a little slow to keep up with extended length multi track recording, they work perfect for everything else.

Still waiting to hear back on the make and model of the 200 gig drive I mentioned.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Here’s the drive info I was talking about….

Sandisk 250gig Extreme Portable, it connects via a shot patch cable directly to the
    QU Drive jack.

Sandisk 250g drive

For reference this drive has worked in a six year old QU16, two four year old
    QU Pacs and about a six month old QU32.
    The drive it self is about two months old.

masher_uk
    Participant

Ordered, thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.