Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As I have posted here many times and no one took me up on the offer ***content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to the thread*** I will send you or anyone a formatted Data Travel to try in your QU mixer and you can keep it! I have also requested that you send me your drive that did not work to try in my QU and again no one took me up on that offer.
    Process of elimination is part of trouble shooting.

That offer is still open by the way to anyone.

It’s no secret that the QU as well as some other brands of mixers are picky as to the USB drive they like, then on the other hand my cheap little Soundcraft Ui works with anything you stick in it…even drives that are formatted for the QU, go figure!

I have tried drives that did not work, on my desk right now is a SansDisc Cruzer I tried a couple years ago that did not work, no big deal.
    For that matter I also have tried a Kingston HyperX model that did not work.
    So not all USB drives work in my QU either, no big deal I just stay with what does work.

I have a couple projects next week that are getting a UQ24 and a 16. I’ll let you know
    how the Data Travelers work in those!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

That is a very generous offer that would prove nothing useful.
    I just used the ones that fail on AH on my computers with no problem.
    No need to ship them anywhere with the extra hassle and expense of doing that.

I never have problems with PCs and flash drives, although I did have to dl some drivers to use some flash drives on my 98SE box.
    My XP just works with any drive.

So does my win8 laptop.
    At least after I fixed its self destruct of the usb controller and turned off the options that did that, presumably to be ‘helpful’ or ‘useful’ that only some microcrap programmer could think made sense at all.

I did have problems with win10 somehow destroying certain flash drives so they would not work on XP again.
    But if I only use them on win10 they seem to work. I try never to use win10 if I can avoid it. It will soon be a linux ubuntu box.

If the problem is drivers then AH needs to write some more, as flash drives keep changing all the time.
    If it is a hardware problem they need to do a recall and fix that.
    Best solution would be for them to sell the formatted and GUARANTEED flash drives to save us all the hassle.

We should be able to go to any store and buy whatever drives are on sale that they have on the shelf and expect them to work.
    Having to hunt down special brands models and sizes to merely hope that they might have a chance of working is ridiculous.

Profile photo of kevcarlson
    kevcarlson
    Participant

Thank you Keith.

volounteer
    Participant

@KeithJA&H

***content removed – does not contribute to the thread***

***content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to the thread***
    I noted that they (***USB Drives***) do not work on my Qu. Are you really upset that I point out that there are problems with flash drives on Qu?
    Else I am not sure what your concern is.

It does seem strange that I can buy any flash drive anywhere and it works on my PC.
    Only AH has this problem. Really wish you would tell us why. New drivers always fixed that problem on my 98SE.
    XP just works. PERIOD. Why not the Qu?

It seems like you are trying to protect us from ourselves and causing the problems just like win8 and win10 do when they try to be ‘helpful’.

How about an option to just work. All we need to do is back up the settings. We dont need the extreme speed to record 32 channels.

***content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to the thread***

There is a problem with USBs on Qus and the evidence says it is A&H who is likely responsible. Please fix it or at least tell us why you cant.

Profile photo of r1n9o
    r1n9o
    Participant

I just tested two new drives, and added them to the list:

PNY Elite-X Fit 64GB – Good. Recorded 4 hours (38GB!) of multitrack with no errors.
    Transcend 710S 64GB – Bad. Many errors on multitrack recording, about 2 per minute.

Both went fresh from the package into the Qu-Pac for formatting. I did several recording tests on both, re-formatting before each test. The above results were the same each time. Looks like I’m the first to try the 64GB versions of these. (According to the list, the 32GB versions of both will work.)

I wanted to try these for their form factor; they are physically tiny. I’m glad the PNY Elite-X Fit worked. It’s half the height
    of the Qu-Pac’s volume knob! Doesn’t get in the way, won’t get whacked.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

PNY Elite-X Fit 64GB – Good. Recorded 4 hours (38GB!) of multitrack with no errors.

I’ll be picking up a couple for myself, thanks for testing. I do like their small size.

Profile photo of r1n9o
    r1n9o
    Participant

An addendum to my testing of the Transcend JetFlash 710 64 and PNY Elite-X Fit 64 above:

As mentioned, the Transcend threw many errors on the Qu-Pac in multitrack recording. On a Mac, I tested the drive’s speed. Turns out it’s actually a USB 2.0, not 3.1 as labeled on the package (from amazon). It self-reports to the Mac’s System Info that it’s rated speed is actually 480 Mb/s (aka USB 2.0). (For comparison, the PNY Elite-X Fit 64 is rated 5 Gb/s, aka USB 3.0) I also ran speed benchmarks on both drives, and the PNY was 5-8 times faster, as a USB2 vs. USB3 comparison would be. The Transcend is clearly falsely (or even fraudulently) labeled as a USB 3.1 drive, when it’s actually a USB 2.0.

It’s seems that in the world of USB flash drives, you can never be sure what you’re getting. It would be interesting if other users tested their working and non-working drives.

Profile photo of BizBach
    BizBach
    Participant

Does this list of devices also apply to DLive consoles? (S7000 specifically). It says it’s for Qu mixers but is listed in the DLive forums (?).

Profile photo of BizBach
    BizBach
    Participant

Nevermind, I see they’re supposed to be compatible… Btw, for anyone else looking, these are the only ones that are still readily available out of the “tested by Allen & Heath” USBs. The others are mostly discontinued (or 5400 speed hard drives). It would be nice if some SSDs, maybe OWC and Samsung, were tested or current model large Samsung USBs (much smaller now and 256gb or larger).

Sandisk Extreme 16GB
    Sandisk Extreme 32GB
    Transcend Jetflash 810 32gb
    Transcend JetFlash 710S 32gb

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

@bizbach, unfortunately, even the drive models that have been “tested by Allen & Heath” have proven to not work reliably for all users.

Allen and Heath continue to ignore this thread, and in my many hours on the phone with their tech support staff they’ve been unable to resolve this problem. The bottom line is, you might get lucky with a given USB drive, or you might not; there is no way to know except to try it, and even if you do try it, another drive of the exact same make and model might not work.

volounteer
    Participant

@cafewalter

I have to believe they know WHAT the CAUSE of the problem is even if they cant fix it.

Why they wont just be upfront and tell us is frustrating.
    And makes us waste time trying to find solutions by trial and error.

I suspect that is is because they ‘followed’ the standard instead of 100.00000% CONFORMING to it.
    Dont need to know if that was just very bad engineering or if it was bad management cutting corners to save a pence per device.

@bizbach

supposed to be does not make it so.
    Maybe the odds were very high back when but now your chances of finding a usb memory stick that works is fat slim and none.

Your best bet is to find an old usb2 somewhere and use that.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Still no issues with the Kingston Data Travelers, just set up a new QU24 last
    week and a Data Traveler G4 worked fine in it.

Just by chance I tried a Transcend Jet Flash for recording at a video shoot a couple
    weeks ago and it formatted and worked fine in my QU16.
    My client handed it to me and I said I’ll give it a try, it worked fine for both of the video shoots.
    Transcend Jetflash

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

NO issues for YOU.
    Does not mean it works for anyone else.

Maybe it is whatever changed in the Qu as ours is newer.
    But for sure changes in usb memory and other things they do to them do cause problems for most folks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

NO issues for YOU.
    Does not mean it works for anyone else.

Maybe it is whatever changed in the Qu as ours is newer.
    But for sure changes in usb memory and other things they do to them do cause problems for most folks.

How do you know yours is newer?
    During the all the time you have complained about yours I have been setting up new QU’s in systems.

I have installed new out of the box QU mixers in the past two months, one them just last week and a new SQ mixer that all happily accepted the Kingston Data Travelers.

I’m going to get a couple of the Trancends I found to work, I like them because they do not stick up very far from the mixer surface.

For what it’s worth I just did a firmware update on what I know to be one of the first runs of a QU16 and they worked in that as well.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Because we had just acuired it long after your fix was supposed to be working everywhere.

For sure, ours is different, as are our usb memory sticks.

The problem is finding a compatible pair to back up the machine.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.