Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

Samsung T5 Portable SSD – 500GB – USB3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM). Works great for multitrack recording on my QU-16.
    Link here : Amazon Samsung MU-PA500B/AM

This was recommended on this forum and I can confirm that it works great for multitrack recording. I’m running firmware v1.93. I recorded 2 sets now, each a little over 3 hours. I didn’t see any audio interruptions when listening back. The only issue I did see, was when I do a 2nd multitrack recording without reformatting. I saw 16 channels recorded fine, but 2 of the 18 WAV files were only a a few kilobytes.

So as long as I format the drive immediately before recording, it seems like this can run for hours and hours without issue.

Thanks for the help in this forum. It has been a headache finding the right drive.

Profile photo of kevcarlson
    kevcarlson
    Participant

Is there a way to format a usb stick on a mac in the right format for the QU console? Or something close?
    I have a drive that will show up saying formatting is necessary and the progress bar just freezes and doesn’t format. I thought if I could get it at least close to the right format first it might have an easier time formatting on the console. Any thoughts or experience on this?

The drive I’m using is SanDisk Ultra 32G, USB 3.0. Seems to have mixed reviews on the spreadsheet…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

s there a way to format a usb stick on a mac in the right format for the QU console? Or something close?
    I have a drive that will show up saying formatting is necessary and the progress bar just freezes and doesn’t format. I thought if I could get it at least close to the right format first it might have an easier time formatting on the console. Any thoughts or experience on this?

The drive I’m using is SanDisk Ultra 32G, USB 3.0. Seems to have mixed reviews on the spreadsheet…

The USB drives have to be formatted in the mixer using the format menu.
    As I have posted many times, the Kingston Data Traveler series all work, I have some over fours years old and some I just purchases a couple months ago.

I also have a couple older SansDisk Extreme USB 3 models that work, I have heard that the newer version SansDisk Extreme do not work, I have never tired one of the newer ones.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mike C
    @kevcarlson

I know you posted that but my Kingston did not work on our Qu.

Some documentation indicates you can format it on a PC if you use FAT32 with 32K blocks.
    I presume you would have to put the correct directory structure on it with the proper names spelled as AH is looking for them.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I know you posted that but my Kingston did not work on our Qu.

Some documentation indicates you can format it on a PC if you use FAT32 with 32K blocks.
    I presume you would have to put the correct directory structure on it with the proper names spelled as AH is looking for them.

If I remember right you did not follow through with all the steps.

Kev, get some Kingston Data Travelers

Profile photo of kevcarlson
    kevcarlson
    Participant

Thanks Volounteer,
    That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I figure it’s worth a try. I also may have different luck if I update the console firmware (I’m just assuming it’s out of date).

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

@kevcarlson I wouldn’t get your hopes up. There are many of us on this thread who have tried firmware updates, tried multiple different USB sticks, tried multiple different ways of formatting the drives on Macs and PCs, and still are unable to get the Qu to recognize the USB stick.

As far as I can tell, it is a physical problem with the mixer itself, with some mixers being more prone than others. If you’re reading this thread, you’re one of the unlucky ones. A&H have been completely unresponsive and unable/unwilling to support.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I figure I have used the Kington Data Travelers in about a dozen QU mixers, everything except the QUSB and they have worked every time.

Straight out the package, into the mixer, format it and your set.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I believe you when you say yours worked for you in your Qu.
    My failure rate has been 3 for 3 on our Qu.
    I got one old model that was a white box noname from Staples years ago to work.
    All others including kingston since then have failed. And I have tried a lot of different ones.

The odds may, or may not favor success now, with that flashdrive which worked for you.
    For sure the AH database and comments show that a lot of flashdrives that ‘work’ (or worked previously also fail now.

My research showed that the manufacturers change the chips in the drive and do other things so that even with the exact same brand model submodel size and other factors they can still be different devices and can not be compared 100.00000% meaningfully. I suspect that AH may do that to the Qu too. So while I cannot blame AH for the problem that is uniquely theirs, I have to think that they need to share a lot of the responsibility for the problems so many of us are having.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I believe you when you say yours worked for you in your Qu.

Not only mine but at least 11 other QU’s from various manufacturing time frames.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Either our Qu is different somehow, or the batch of kingston flash drives are different.

The point is while they may give a good chance there is NO GUARANTEE that any drive will work on AH.

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

***content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to the thread***

The simple fact here is: some of us have got Allen-Heath Qu boards whose USB ports *do not work*. This is not because of stupidity; it is not because of inexperience; it is not because of doing things wrong. It is because some of the boards are defective. This is not just my conclusion; it is the conclusion of the A-H tech that I spent hours on the phone with, over multiple days.

Listen, I’m happy for the 20% or 70% or 99.9% of people whose QuDrive ports work. Good on you! I wish I could be one! But your advice on how to make it work *does not work*, for my board.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The simple fact here is: some of us have got Allen-Heath Qu boards whose USB ports *do not work*. This is not because of stupidity; it is not because of inexperience; it is not because of doing things wrong. It is because some of the boards are defective. This is not just my conclusion; it is the conclusion of the A-H tech that I spent hours on the phone with, over multiple days.

Listen, I’m happy for the 20% or 70% or 99.9% of people whose QuDrive ports work. Good on you! I wish I could be one! But your advice on how to make it work *does not work*, for my board.

My frustration comes from mentioning numerous times USB drives that have proved to work on numerous QU boards, said USB drives are available and easy to get with the click of a mouse and yet people complain about their XYZ USB drive not working ect. and all but refusing to try a known working drive.

Yes it would be great if you could put any ole USB stick in a QU, hit format and be done but as we all know that is not the case.

Early on I tried a few different drives that did not work, then from a recommendation or selecting it from the list of posted drives ( I can’t remember) I tried the Data Travelers, bingo we have a winner, they have worked ever sense, the search was over.

You may indeed have a bad USB port on your mixer but until you try a known working USB drive as a test and properly go through the formatting steps how do you know? Did you try a Data Traveler in your mixer?

volounteer
    Participant

@cafewalter

@mikec assumes that if a drive works in his Qu that the ‘same’ drive will work in every Qu.

He believes that if we use the flash drive he says will work and it fails then it is our incompetence not the drive or Qu.

If an AH tech actually admitted they had problems why wont they just publically admit the problem and tell us what they can about it. If they were HONEST people would realize that stuff happens and work around it.

It would be nice if they would pretest flashdrives and preformat them and have their dealers sell them.
    But it they still might not work due to chip differences in different Qu builds then they really need to do a recall and fix the Qus that have problems.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

As a quick response to some of the more recent comments in this thread:

The hardware used for the Qu-Drive connection is the same in every unit. I can see how there may be some confusion here with previous statements we have made regarding the hardware/chipsets used by storage devices though. We discovered these can vary from drive to drive even when the name and details of the drive are identical. So it became impossible for us to guarantee the chipset and therefore the functionality of any device.

Procuring devices with a specific chipset is incredibly difficult and expensive, even when ignoring economies of scale. It would therefore end up being very costly to end users if we were to supply drives – you could easily purchase perhaps 5 or 6 different devices of the same size from your standard retailer for the price of one from us. So that wouldn’t work. The idea behind using ‘direct to USB’ for Qu-Drive, rather than say, building a hard drive into the Qu or using an SD interface, is because USB storage devices are available everywhere and cost very little.

We know not every drive is suitable, that’s why this thread and the form and results spreadsheet exist – because we want to help engineers find a drive that is suitable for use as their Qu-Drive.

If you believe the issue is due to the Qu rather than having an incompatible device. Please contact us using support.allen-heath.com and we’ll be able to check you’ve gone through all the recommended steps. You can also contact your local distributor https://www.allen-heath.com/where-to-buy/, as they will be able to fully test your Qu, including the USB hardware, to ensure it’s all running correctly (and of course fix it if it’s not!).

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.