Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For the sake of testing I really would like to try one of your Data Traveler USB drives untouched by anything other than your QU mixer in one of my mixers.

I’m not convinced yet if you actually have a problem with the QU Drive in the mixer but a good test is to take a known drive to work in QU mixers that did not format in yours and try it another QU mixer.

Keep in mind before you can do anything with the QU Drive USB drive the USB needs to be formatted in the mixer and there is only that one menu to do the formatting with.
    You put a drive in the QU drive USB give it a second and then hit the format button, watch the progress bar till it’s done.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@debzdoodle

yes

we have found two that worked

they were both OLD white box USB 2 from Staples with their name on them

all the kingston and other name brands have failed. almost a dozen other assorted ones now.
    I did not try PNY as they often fail on XP when I use them at home so figured the odds were not good enough to use in Qu32

I ordered the kingston DTs from B&H
    16 and 32G SE9 and SE9G2
    now did they have a bad batch?
    did kingston change the file format or block size?

I have not ordered from amazon or any of the minor suppliers that still have the DT SE9

We only use the USB to back the thing up. Never use them to record or playback.
    We playback from a CD player andor a PC. We record to a CD recorder andor a second PC.

The real annoyance is that I want to solve the problem of WHY so many USBs fail on AH gear when they work fine in all the other electronics we all use. AH has to be partly responsible. I have my suspicions but no way to verify them. But are the USB makers doing something different which is not in the spec?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Keep in mind when you put in a fresh new clean USB stick “Data Traveler” and the QU looks at the USB stick, while you are in the format menu it will say “unsupported please format” you then hit the format, it ask you to confirm the format, hit yes and away it goes, after it formats it will do a drive verification and then say OK.

Attached are some pictures I took of formatting some extra drives I had this afternoon, all worked.

Not convinced yet you have a problem with the mixer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Here’s a little video I took while formatting the drives earlier.
    Are you actually doing these steps I show?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Let’s try the video again, not sure how much smaller I can make and still have
    something that will play!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

And again…..

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok time to let You Tube take care of it.

QU formatting Data Traveler drive

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The real annoyance is that I want to solve the problem of WHY so many USBs fail on AH gear when they work fine in all the other electronics we all use. AH has to be partly responsible. I have my suspicions but no way to verify them. But are the USB makers doing something different which is not in the spec?

Not sure why you NEVER took me up on my offer to send one of your drives to test in my QU as a process of elimination.

Had this been the other way around I would have had one in the mail in no time…..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well done Mike
    I have had 6 QUs and down to just 2 now.
    I have done enormous amounts of editing and Data moving between Imac MBP win 7 2x laptops Win 10 laptop.
    And actually to clean a memory sticks, I have just used my QU drive on any one of my QUs to format and then into another laptop to remove the AHQU folder.
    Unless I wanted ExFat or NTFS specifically for a project.
    I have never had any issues except for the occasion cheapo memory stick that I might have found lying in the junk drawer.
    I have had one QU drive that used to sing when I put a memory stick into it but it still worked fine.
    And I do have one old memory that actually hangs up a QU until I power cycle the QU?.

Maybe there is something wrong with Volunteers QU drive?
    Maybe the QU needs to be hard reset?
    Keep up the great postings.
    Cheers

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Well done Mike

Thanks!!!

I will say if you do a lot of recording and file transfering off the drives and file deleting I would do a clean reformat every so often.

Maybe there is something wrong with Volunteers QU drive?

Could always be…….

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I had considered that until the first USB did work.
    That was the really olde one from Staples and was a USB 2 white box unbranded memory stick.

That tells me it does work.

I see signal to the Qu drive like its trying to be ready to write to it.
    I get a blinking light and error messages about the USB memory which indicates the drive is working.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Did not get the messages you noted earlier. Never said unsupported.

I have no idea where the problem is but suspect it is a combination of AH hardware and firmware together with something about the memory sticks.

Remember, I am not the only one having problems. Read the forum here. Read the one at prosoundweb. Read gearslutz.
    AH has problems with USB memory. I am the victim not the culprit.

<< Keep in mind when you put in a fresh new clean USB stick “Data Traveler” and the QU looks at the USB stick, while you are in the format menu it will say “unsupported please format” you then hit the format, it ask you to confirm the format, hit yes and away it goes, after it formats it will do a drive verification and then say OK.

Attached are some pictures I took of formatting some extra drives I had this afternoon, all worked.

Not convinced yet you have a problem with the mixer.>>

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Remember, I am not the only one having problems. Read the forum here. Read the one at prosoundweb. Read gearslutz.
    AH has problems with USB memory. I am the victim not the culprit.

The QU is picky at what USB drives it likes, as are some other digital mixers ***content removed – does not contribute to the thread***
    I’m sure there are other USB drives out there that work fine in the QU but after the Data Traveler series has proven itself that’s what I have continued to use, why re- invent the wheel.

Are you really doing all of the correct steps to actually format the drive like I show in the crude video I posted to YouTube?

You have never really given us the step by step steps you are taking to format a drive other than saying they fail and then eluding to other menus and functions that have nothing to do with formatting a drive.

***content removed – does not contribute to the thread***

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

AH can be picky about recording 18 channels at once,
    but not so picky as to refuse to acknowledge the drive exists and format it for a slow back up.

I am doing everything the manual said to do.

When it gives an error message I stop.
    The time we did format one successfully all the signs leading up to the format were different.

I am not at the point of formatting because it gives various error messages so I do not try to format it.

Are you saying the error messages are wrong and just format anyway. How can we then be sure it will work correctly when we use it. How can we be sure that if we restore the backup someday that it will really work?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Put one your fresh Data Travlers in the QU Drive, while in the format menu, give the mixer a few seconds to look at the drive.

Disregard the warnings and proceed to hit the format button and hit yes to proceed, after it formats give it 30 seconds or so and it will verify the drive and say OK on the screen. Your good to go then.
    Do pull the drive out the first second you see a warning pop up!!

IF you try to format a drive and the progress bar never moves at all after a few minutes, (give it chance) then that drive is not going to format, pull it out and move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.