Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Ok, shout out to Rodf (page 17) ..or anyone.
    I’m trying this drive out and it is exFAT -similar to but not exactly FAT32.
    I dropped it straight onto the QU for formatting but it has stuck on the ‘reading drive’ stage.
    Should I be doing it differently?
    If this is like a thumb drive that also responded like this this evening, it trashed the existing format and had to be re-formatted on the PC.
    Should I perhaps try FAT32 in that case?
    Thanks

” We bought a couple of 500GB Samsung T5 SSD drives and they have worked without errors recording 1hr30 Multitracks.
    All 5 of this year’s BBC Radio Reith Lectures were done this way.

Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Portable-SSD-T5-500GB/dp/B074MCM721/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=80264380300242&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=samsung+external+usb+drive&qid=1563673474&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Follow up- It looks fine back on the PC and didn’t trash the drive’s format but did remove ‘setup apps that were on it. Could they even apply to the QU?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mixsit

my understanding that only FAT32 works and exfat will not work.
    you might be able to format it as FAT32 but be sure the block size is right for the Qu as I understand some do not work.

If there is a secret article somewhere that accurately explains all of the USB mysteries I would love to see it.

volounteer
    Participant

Got the kingston data travellers Both models and two sizes.
    Did NOT work on Qu. Says incompatible.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Got the kingston data travellers Both models and two sizes.
    Did NOT work on Qu. Says incompatible.

Post a picture of the drives you got.

Did you go straight from the package to the QU to format them?

All the Data Travelers of different models I got about a month ago
    all worked perfect, went straight from the package to the mixer, formatted
    and done.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

They look exactly like the pictures shown in the AH image.
    Smaller tjam ptjer USBs, silverish, big round hole.
    Package says Kingson 16G Data Traveller SE9. And USB 2.0

I also got a 32G and a 32G SE9G2 that I will try. The G2 Says USB 3.0 and also 3.1/3.0/2.0
    Will try those tomorrow.

I went straight to the Qu and it says not recognized.
    Light did blink briefly then the error message. So it knows something was in the slot.
    Wonder what AH thinks would be in a USB receptacle to say not recognized.

Could not format as it says they don’t exist to the Qu32.

I had read about the many others getting those to work so I special ordered them as they were readily available without hunting for something old and obsolete.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I had read about the many others getting those to work so I special ordered them as they were readily available without hunting for something old and obsolete.

I would be amount those who say they do work and I use them all the time. Actually Data Travelers are the only USB drives I use with the exception of the Sans Disk Extreme3 for the few times I have done a multitrack recording.

What firmware version is your board running?

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

OMG… All 6 of mine work perfectly. I based my 1st purchase of the Kingston a few weeks ago on the positive comments here and when it arrived and checked out, I ordered 5 more. They all work… I don’t understand why we all get such different results using the same drives…

volounteer
    Participant

@mike C

1.95 is the firmware as I recall.

I have tried the kingston and before sandisks of several various submodels including an extreme, and other assorted USB brands that were available easily locally off the shelf.

I would be paranoid and say the MD did something so nobody could try a USB in the device except that he could not get any to work and I finally found an old one from Staples that I gave him when it did work. I have been trying to find some more so we could consider using them for playback or recording but we cant find any that are recognized so we can format them in the Qu.

volounteer
    Participant

@debzdoodle

Is a mystery. I have two more of the kingstons to try. different size and one is the G2 variation on the SE9.

I never got any usb 3s to work. The only ones were the old white box Staples usb2 that I found in a drawer at home.

Are some of these formatted other than FAT32 and 32K blocks? That I have not checked yet.
    If it is not that then I have to suspect the firmware version is somehow involved with this problem.

I suspect that if you ever put one of these in a win10 box they would start failing, but I never do that.
    I have one USB I have just for win10 use on the rare occasion I ever turn that PC one.

Could the makers be checking them with win10 and killing them for other PCs to use?
    They can be fixed but it is a pain and needless work.
    Never getting another windoze box. Next time it will be Linux of some flavor.
    Strongly considering changing the win10 to a dualboot with Ubuntu.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

OMG… All 6 of mine work perfectly. I based my 1st purchase of the Kingston a few weeks ago on the positive comments here and when it arrived and checked out, I ordered 5 more. They all work… I don’t understand why we all get such different results using the same drives…

As have all of my Data Travlers since the day I got my QU about five years ago now to the very last bunch I got back in mid December and all of them in between.
    I open up the package, put the USB drive in the mixer, hit format, done.

Mr. Volounteer to double check…..are taking the USB stick out of the factory package and putting directly into the QU mixer and not into any computer first?

Send me the Data Traveler drives that do not work, I’m serious, I’ll even cover postage for that matter I’ll even cover the cost you spent on the drives.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I’ve used a Seagate 1TB Backup Plus (usb3, spinner) for multitrack and stereo recording. I also plug it in to my Window 10 pc to retrieve the files. It also holds the board Show backup. I haven’t reformatted in quite awhile. No problems.

debzdoodle
    Participant

@ Mike C….. Like you I simply opened the new drives one by one and put them directly into the QU Drive – Format and ready to record. No computer in between.
    @ Volunteer – What year is your QU mixer? I am wondering if it varies from batch to batch/ year to year.
    Mine is an older one that I bought new. It has the weird glitch that some of the early models had – causes noise when recording to QU Drive with ST3 fader up.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Oh – one more thing. I am running V1.95.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I put one in the xp to see if it worked.

I have two in packages that will go straight to Qu tomorrow.

We will see.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.