Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DylanAxup
    DylanAxup
    Participant

Format on Pc, but still wouldn’t format on desk.
    I’ve thrown it in the bin!

Profile photo of DylanAxup
    DylanAxup
    Participant

Spent £97 on a SanDisk 250 GB Extreme 500. works perfectly after formatting

Profile photo of Mono
    Mono
    Participant

I bought the following pendrive:
    Transcend 32GB JetFlash 710 USB 3.0 Flash Drive

It works almost ok, for stereo recordings, not good. It jumps every now and then!!!!!

Profile photo of deepandrare
    deepandrare
    Participant

i see the issue more with the USB-port of the QU-drive itself. the OS does not refresh once a faulty stick was inserted, it freezes. there is working device listener implemented or the port is degrading quickly.
    the USB-stick i used did work for 1,5 years and then all of a sudden quit working. still works on the PC but cannot be formatted in any way to not make the formatting or USB-drive management freeze.
    Sandisk Extreme 64, USB3.0. – has worked for the longest time incl Multitrack Recording. stopped working… what now?

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

Have Allen-Heath made any sort of response to this issue? I mean, as many on this thread have noted: the QuDrive port is essentially useless, if you can’t rely on it; and it is obviously not possible to purchase a device that is known to work (because new devices come out and old ones get obsoleted).

Every modern computer, even cheap ones, can read and write to 99% of USB devices flawlessly. Even hobby Arduino devices have no problem. It’s just not that tricky a technology. I could understand if slower devices crapped out with multitrack recording, but the Qu16 can’t even reliably recognize or format a brand new top of the line USB drive unless it is one of the magic blessed few. Imagine if the mixer failed to recognize all but a few power amps, or all but a few microphones? A&H simply don’t seem to be able to engineer it; maybe they don’t have the right engineers on the task.

A&H are really ducking their responsibility here. They need to either get a working USB port, or stop advertising that their devices support USB. I’m seriously considering returning this board, even though I like it in all other regards.

Hello, A&H, are you listening? I’d *like* to like your products…

Profile photo of Lollorollo
    Lollorollo
    Participant

I’m totally agree with you.

I tried some USB sticks untill I get mad and just gave up any chance to make a recording with my Qu-16. Now I just bought a Trascend JetFlash 810 wich appears in the list with “OK” in mtk and stereo recording and, guess what? Total trash! Jumps and Drops every 30 seconds. I wont even try it with the Sq-5 I use at work.

Why A&H doesn’t admit that MTK with this method is just impossible? People who counts on that feature like me, has already waste their money. Why should we waste our time too in useless tries?

It’s an honesty matter now

I have had consistent success stereo recording with the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 (16gb and 32 gb). One tip/trick – format the drive in the device every single time. Also – make sure your firmware is updated, they are trying to stabilize the issue with updates. FYI – my first SanDisk drive was DOA and SanDisk replaced it for free. Make sure your drive isn’t defective overall.

Profile photo of BBEgo
    BBEgo
    Participant

I have an amazing 256gB flash drive that records in multitrack on my QU-16 beautifully.
    It is the SanDisk SDCZ880-256G-G46 Extreme PRO 256GB USB 3.1

Screw all the others. This one crushes it.

I run sound for my band, and I have my iPad mounted to my mic stand when we’re performing live using QU-Pad.
    I start and stop my multitrack recordings via iPad without even having to touch the mixer. It’s fantastic, and now the only problem with our recordings is the playing! LOL 😁

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

We have had virtually no problems with multi-track recording using a USB3 Seagate Backup Plus Portable 1TB spinning drive. Only a single glitch after hour long recordings once a week for over 6 months (of course, because of Murphy’s Law, it happened during dialog in a play. had to fix the glitch by using bad sound recorded to a camcorder). I also don’t format at each session. After the glitch, I reformatted and no glitches after 4, hour long sessions. It seems the USB interface in the QU’s works best with spinning disk drives for recording. Just get one with a long enough cable to tuck the drive under the board if you’re worried about space.

Profile photo of God Lee
    God Lee
    Participant

Is there any one drive that someone would recommend / has had a positive experience with thus far??

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

With drives I stopped messing around with sticks after a huge waste of money (~£200 in sticks that dont work).

I now use external SSD – and given the prices now – I dont know why we bother with sticks any more.

Sandisk Extreme 500 250GB SSD
    Model: SDSSDEXT-250G

Cant recommend this enough – cost me about £85 on amazon, I think they might be around £90/95 at the mo. Bloody solid.

Only niggle – QU-SB mis-reports time remaining – it cant seem to cope with a device that can deal with more than 8 hours recording time – just rubbish and short-sighted programming which doesnt affect anything other than a stupid display telling you how much time is remaining. As its quite hard to fill a 250GB even at a festival weekend it doesnt matter.

Hope this helps,
    Barry

Profile photo of Alexander
    Alexander
    Participant

I have a Sandisk Extreme Go 64GB USB 3.1 and it does not work at all with my QU-PAC, no chance.
    I bought a “SanDisk SDSSDEXT-500G-G25 500GB Extreme 500” (Portable SSD) which works nicely so far.

Only niggle – QU-SB mis-reports time remaining – it cant seem to cope with a device that can deal with more than 8 hours recording time – just rubbish and short-sighted programming which doesnt affect anything other than a stupid display telling you how much time is remaining.

My QU-PAC formats the drive using a FAT32 file system which can not store files larger than 4GB, at 24bit/48kHz this means 8h17min. I don’t know what happens if the size of a track reaches 4GB, I suspect the recording just stops.

Profile photo of Dancing Brook
    Dancing Brook
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if these could be partitioned so the extra space could be used for something else.
    I’ve been consistently using a pair of SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB thumb drives without any problems.

I always reformat before starting a new recording, just to be cautious. Wish I had time to mess with them more, to see if I really need to.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

Respectfully to the non-Allen&Heath folks who have answered: you’re missing my point.

The bottom line here is that for any single USB device, it might be working for some people and not for others, and it might be working this week and not next.

That is not how USB devices work in a computer. When was the last time you plugged a USB storage device of *any* kind into a computer made in the last three years and had it not be recognized, or fail to format?

A&H are asking us to expect mediocrity. I am really shocked at their unwillingness to respond to this issue.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

No you arent alone. If you look back across the last couple of years of threads you will see me moan about it.

As a software engineer with experience of SoC (System on a chip) and embedded linux devices I have seen similar problems caused in the device drivers through clock issues. Unless the hardware is just crap there will be a fault in the driver. I suspect they are not taking standard linux USB drivers – which there may be good reasons for but yes you are not alone in thinking that every single usb device you plug into pretty much anything now is recognised and usable.

The problem is it requires someone to actually care – and I dont think they care about this issue enough – which is a real shame – very costly – and very frustrating….

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.