QU 32 Squelch control

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU 32 Squelch control

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kpjax
    kpjax
    Participant

Hello, new tech here. I’ve been running the sound at our church (lttb.org) for years. We just replaced our old analog peavey board. We got a new QU 32 a few months ago. Recently my wireless (technical pro wm1641) mic’s have been having a humming issue. I got a mic replaced, now another mic is having an issue. the system only hums when the wireless mic’s are on. I had the main unit worked on by a local company to try and get it to go away w/ no luck). Again, it’s only when the mic’s get turned on. I wanted to try and remove some squelch from the channels but I can’t seem to find what the squelch may be called. I’m an IT guy by trade (for the past 20 years). I’m the only one willing to do the sound so I’ve learned stuff over the past 10 years w/ the old board and now the new. But I can’t for the life of me find the squelch on this board. Maybe the squelch is just called something else on this board?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

On a mixer this is generally called a “(noise) gate”.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I would be also trying to solve the hum problem at the source. Ground loops? Placement of receivers next to high current items or devices with power transformers in close proximity? Look for that. Even with a gate operating you’re still going to have the hum when the mic is on. If it’s that bad then it will be distracting.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, fixing the issue at the source is always preferred. If its mounted inside a rack, I’d probably start checking with the unit removed from the rack (for the reasons George already stated).
    If the humm persists, I’d vote for a bad capacitor within the unit’s power supply.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It may be because of the squelch in the receiver that you only hear the hum when the mic is on, it will be muting itself when it doesn’t see a signal from the transmitter. Turn off the squelch in the receiver and see if you get the hum all the time.

Chris

Profile photo of ABAG Soundboard
    ABAG Soundboard
    Participant

Thanks for the response. The WM1641 just sits on a shelf, so it’s not in a rack. The XLR cables are 3′ long and aren’t looped (just straight out from the mixer). I just had the unit serviced locally and some capacitor was jacked up so they removed it and replaced it. But it still hums.. maybe another capacitor on the board? There are no transformers near the sound board other than the one a few hundred feet a way on a power pole by the street. I’m going to move the unit away from the other wireless systems We have about 5 wireless mic’s and in ear monitor systems all in that area but they’ve been fine. This just started out of nowhere it’s just this one mice set. I’ll check the noise gate, I was adjusting that before but it didn’t make a difference until I reduced the gain but when i reduce that it was so low that even having the volume at 100 for the channel didn’t matter because you couldn’t hear the mic when it was being used.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Plug the bad one onto one of the good ones connector. If it still hums then there is your problem. Get the unit fixed or ditch it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.