Qu-32 – Need Step by step instructions for adding reverb to 1-2 channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-32 – Need Step by step instructions for adding reverb to 1-2 channels

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Hello. I am new to working on a Qu-32 board. All attempts to add reverb to 1 to 2 channels have failed – resulting in massive feedback. I know we probably need to start from scratch on the FX1 but we need step by step instructions on how to proceed. What we are trying to do is soften vocals so they don’t sound raw on recordings or live streaming. Our church is new to live streaming and we want to do the best possible job we can.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

this is not a technique related to a QU
    this is a general mixing technique

so you should learn how to handle audio equipment in general

a good starting point is Youtube there are thousands of videos available with basic mixing desk “How To…”

something like this
    Qu Series Getting Started Guide
    Qu Series FX

Profile photo of stupaak
    stupaak
    Participant

If you are trying to add reverb to a channel using Qu.Select the channel then then hit the FX button.Page thru until you find the FX you want. This is one of many ways to add FX to a channel. Hope this was helpful.

Stupaak

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

In this case it *IS* a Qu problem.
    David needs to know how to do it with the Qu.
    People can know all about audio theory and how to do things but not grok the Qu if they just start using it.
    What was easy with analog desks seems harder to do with digital ones.
    A few are harder, although many other things are much better.

Utoob is totally worthless for many of us. We need to see complete clear accurate written descriptions on paper we can put notes on.

Utoob sound sucks and often the pictures are done poorly so you cannot see what is really being done.
    Plus they are extremely slow and inefficient use of our time. And finding the right one wastes many more hours of time.

Why cant we just get simple written instructions that are so much better?
    Studies have shown people learn better by reading from paper than from reading screens.
    And most folks a lot more better than watching videos.

volounteer
    Participant

@david

How are you adding reverb?
    Look at the block diagram carefully and be sure you do not loop around to cause that feedback.
    You may need to use more channels to do it safely.

Do you need reverb live?
    I would rethink that carefully.

If you want reverb on a recording then add it later with a DAW. [I suggest ‘reverb #9’ 🙂 ]

For livestreaming I would not do anything like that with the audio until you master delivering that video format.
    And the audio on most sites is poor and when played through small speakers on a PC even poorer. Are you sure you need it for livestreaming ??

Not sure what you mean to soften vocals so they dont sound raw.
    To give you the advice I got from others (and rejected!), Teach them to sing so it is not raw:)
    Could you use EQ or compression or something else to un-raw them?

Who says they are raw?
    I helped our MD produce a CD of our choir. He asked for reverb to be added.
    I tried nine variations that varied room size delay, time to decay, yada yada.
    He picked reverb #9 (sounds like a movie title) which HE liked, but I could not tell any difference with it added!

So is this raw really a problem for the audience? Or is it just something you find you dont like.
    Like I told our A1 and MD who keep twiddling faders and knobs to achieve the ‘best’ sound: You might notice it but nobody down there in the audience can tell the difference or cares.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm sometimes it helps when you read instead of trying to start the same discussion over and over.
    Open the reference guide, either on the computer or print it first and go to chapter 10.9. it is called „Working with FX – Adding vocal reverb:“ and it costed me less than one minute to find.
    Steps to reproduce (because someone may not even able to find the documentation online)
    Open a browser of your choice
    Enter http://www.allen-heath.com
    Open Products overview
    Open the QU product overview page
    Select your model and go to that specific product page
    Navigate to documents
    Open or download the reference guide.

volounteer
    Participant

@mfk0815

I saw that. P57 in the Qu32 version.

To be honest, I can see how many people do not find that nearly enough. I sure do not.
    For me, I can sort of see how the send returns work, but how to push all the right buttons
    and jump through the right hoops on the Qu is not nearly as clear as the theory.
    And I am really not inclined to figure it out unless I absolutely had to do that.
    For someone who is new to the Qu I can also see how they could have problems even if they read that fine manual page.

AH documentation is good for engineers but on an absolute scale it is poor.
    It is taking the minimalist approach to the extreme.
    Just because it is (barely) ‘enough’ does not mean that it is good.

It would really help if they had a separate picture of every screen they describe being used for something
    and then linked it back through all the intermediate screens until they showed the button that started the sequence.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You may need to use more channels to do it safely.

What do you mean by that??

The QU’s are set up with pre patched FX sends and FX returns.

To the question……
    For sake of testing don’t worry about changing the FX type that are loaded into the slots at this. After you get it working you can pick and choose from the FX library.

Bringing up FX on a channel or channels is about like selecting a mix to bring up channels in a monitor.

First for safety go to the FX mixes returns and deselect them from the FX sends that will prevent and accidental feedback loop.

Bring up the FX return levels that will send the FX into the main LR mix, maybe around 50% or so.

Now go back to your main input mix layer.

Select the FX1 mix button.

If it’s not up bring up the master fader, that sets the over all input level to the FX1
    processor.

Now just go to the channel that you want to add some reverb to and bring up that
    fader to amount of reverb level you want on that channel.

You will want to set up a mute group for all the FX returns and assign it to a soft key
    so you can easy mute the FX in between songs.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I presumed if he had problems that he was using an external reverb and needed to bring it back on fresh channel strips.

If they are prepatched then what did he do to cause the feedback?
    If he patched into the LR out the only other path is matrix out and that cannot loop around either.

Would adding reverb cause feedback via the mikes not the Qu?
    I would think he knows enough to lower faders if that is the problem.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If they are prepatched then what did he do to cause the feedback?

He brought up the FX send on the FX return of the same FX processor.

I took the original post to be that he had troubles using the internal FX………that I explained how to do along with how to prevent the feedback loop in my earlier post.

SteffenR
    Participant

David needs to know how to do it with the Qu.

that’s why I added the links to the videos
    both cover the topic at some point and provide much more useful information for a beginner

SteffenR
    Participant

AH documentation is good for engineers but on an absolute scale it is poor.

can you leave this kind of discussion to your threads and not hijack another one with complains about the bad documentation
    please…

@david

did we helped in any way?
    still problem?

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

All – I will be trying what was suggested later this week when I can get into the church media booth to give it a try. Access is limited due to sanitizing schedule. I will let you know the results then. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

I am not highjacking anything to point out information relevant to the original question.

You should stop being arrogant, bordering on bullying, and pointing to useless videos instead of answering the question.

@david
    Do let us know what you found out and how you were actually doing reverb.

I would still like to know why you feel a need for reverb especially on livestreams.
    And why you do not add it in a DAW after recording for other uses.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.