QU 32 MIX DESK WITH ROLAND 60HD VISION MIX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 32 MIX DESK WITH ROLAND 60HD VISION MIX

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SOUND
    SOUND
    Participant

Hi We have recently installed the QU32 mix desk with the Roland vision mixer, using QSC line arrays and Crestron control panels and 2 x large vision monitors and Canon Video cameras. These are in a college hall and the system is used for special occasions and assemblies. However with the current issue regarding assemblies I have been asked to look at being able to send picture and sound to classrooms via our network system.
    I have been looking at Lumens LC 200 as the sender for sound and vision. Being a new user of the QU32 mix desk I am looking at using the ALT OUT left and right mono jack sockets to a 3,5mm TRS jack which plugs into the Lumens unit. What is not clear in the manual, do you patch this through the PAFL eg, ALT OUT, set up, I/O patch, surface and then PAFL which gives me control of output to Lumens unit.Thanks, love the QU32 so do my students

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I assume you want to feed the main program audio from the mixer into the video system.
    The ALT OUT would work to do that using a cable with two 1/4 inch TS (mono) plugs on one end that adapts to a single 3.5mm TRS plug on the other end.

I just did a quick look up on the LC200 unit and you would want to set the input you use to line level mode.

I would not use the PAFL patch for the ALT OUT feed. If you want the main program out of the mixer feeding the video system select the L R patch for the ALT OUT.
    Another option for a main mix to video feed would be to use a matrix mix to feed the video.
    In the matrix set up menu lets say matrix 1 2 select the LR main mix bring up that level to 0db.
    In the ALT OUT IO patch screen select MTX 1 2.
    On your mixers upper layer the one with the blue lights, the matrix mix 1 2 master fader will need to be brought up, start at the unity position.
    Bring up the ALT OUT knob on the top surface to about 75% and test your audio level on the video.

The matrix out to feed the video gives you a few options, you have more independent control of the level, you can select the audio feed to be pre fade from the main LR output and you can apply independent EQ and compression processing to the audio going to the video.

If you want to take it another step further you could create an independent mix to feed the video system by using an open mix on the board and assigning that mix to the ALT OUT.
    Depending on your needs you can select an independent mix to be either pre or post channel fade and channel processing.

How close would the LC200 unit be located to the mixer?
    Depending on the video system grounding you may need to use an isolation transformer in the audio line between the mixer and LC200.

You could use the balanced XLR outputs to feed the LC200 but you can not directly take a balanced line from an XLR output wired on a straight through cable into a TRS stereo input. You would need to convert the balanced line to unbalanced and for a mono video feed connect the unbalanced + to both the 3.5mm tip and ring and the shield to the sleeve.
    For an XLR to 3.5 mono you could try taking XLR pin 2 wired to the 3.5mm tip and ring and the XLR pin 1 to the 3.5mm sleeve. You would loose some signal level connected that way but that may not be an issue for you video system.
    Even using an XLR output you may still need isolation between the mixer and video systems. In the case using an XLR output a transformer could convert balanced to unbalanced and give you the isolation at the same time.

To start off just use the ALT OUT and the patch adapter cable and see how it sounds.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

The 2Trk plugs already come directly from the L/R Master fader. No need for any patching within the mixer settings. However they are balanced outputs and the Lumens requires an unbalanced input. This is easily rectified with something like the Art Cleanbox Matching Transformer It has balanced XLR in and an 1/8″ unbalanced stereo mini out for recording.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The 2Trk plugs already come directly from the L/R Master fader. No need for any patching within the mixer settings. However they are balanced outputs and the Lumens requires an unbalanced input. This is easily rectified with something like the Art Cleanbox Matching Transformer It has balanced XLR in and an 1/8″ unbalanced stereo mini out for recording.

The 2Trk outs being directly tied to the main LR outputs only there is no independent level adjustment for the feed to the video in question.
    Using the 2trk outputs or the ALT outs 1/4 inch jacks with a 1/4inch mono TS plug would not require any other equipment to go from the balanced output to the LC200 unbalanced input.
    The ART Cleanbox unit works but I don’t think it offers true transformer isolation that is sometimes needed when interfacing audio equipment to video equipment.

The first test would be to connect the video and audio systems and see if audio line isolation is needed at all.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

I forgot to mention in my last post that he could simply use the Main L/R out with the Art Cleanbox. It’s XLR in and 1/8″ stereo out. I was under the assumption that, while streaming, he is not using the house PA system because there is no audience allowed in house. In which case, I don’t know that it needs to be isolated if there are no other devices causing hum and he doesn’t make long cable runs with it.

Either way. He is probably getting the idea by now.

Profile photo of SOUND
    SOUND
    Participant

Thanks for all the help, being a new user of the QU32 I am still learning about all its settings

Profile photo of SOUND
    SOUND
    Participant

Hi All, good news streaming live connected ok with sound and video, all working fine. Many thanks to all who offered input and help.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi All, good news streaming live connected ok with sound and video, all working fine. Many thanks to all who offered input and help.

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.