QU 32 – Mix and foh channel changes separation

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 32 – Mix and foh channel changes separation

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ken
    Ken
    Participant

So I have a qu-32 and I have recently dove into using mix 9-10 for a live stream mix and have xlrs going out of that mix for a live stream. I have faded control separated but can’t seem to figure out how to have my fx and eq changes while on mix 9-10(livestream mix) only affect that mix and not foh. I’ve messed around with pre/post eq but can’t seem to figure it out. I can’t keep it this way because it’s making my foh sound horrible. I know the mix 9-10 channel send as a whole can be be adjusted and only affect that channel but individual channel changes affect foh.

Side note: I’m having a hard time getting the volume I need for mix 9-10 (livestream mix), everything seems to come through too quiet. Also the first issue listed would help this problem as far as gain and compression to individual channels.

I know it’s late but I would really like to figure this out before the morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of shane
    shane
    Participant

I also have this question regarding sending FX to Mixes or groups. We run our live stream through Group 5-6 and are able to send post EQ/compression/gait/etc., but I can’t figure out how to route the FX into the group independent of the foh. To get around it I’ve been running the vocal inputs through Ableton live and back into the board with FX but would be good to know if we can run independent or combined FX into groups/mixes and foh.

Regarding your audio question, we use vMix and I needed to increase the gain on our audio input by +5dB. Not sure on your streaming software but that’s how we adjusted. We had to adjust some individual gains but adjusting the vMix input mainly did it.

Profile photo of Ken
    Ken
    Participant

I planned on using logic in the near future but I don’t have the option tomorrow. How do you make changes to individual channels as far as eq, gate, compression, etc. without affecting the foh channels? I can make those to the mix 9-10 feed overall but not per channel. As far as fx overall control over a mix you can hit your laters button and move your slider under the channel labeled mix 5-6 and that controls your overall fx control for mix 5-6.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

How are you connecting the mix 9 10 XLR outputs to the input on your live stream equipment?

As for the channel EQ and processing, you can not have a separate channel EQ for FOH and a mix output on the same channel.

It would use up an extra channels (if you have any extra) but splitting the inputs into two separate channels, one for FOH and the other dedicated to feeding your live stream mix with the mix set post processing and post fade. That channel would be unassigned from the main mix.

Profile photo of Ken
    Ken
    Participant

Hey Mike. For tomorrow I just ran the xlr outputs of mix 9-10 into the back of the 1-2 channel xlr input on black magic tv had switcher and from there sdi output control into a Blackmagic ultra studio mini recorded the has a thunderbolt out into a iMac with obs.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The physical interface connections are not an issue. Maybe look at set up another way.

Use your mix 9 10 to feed the live stream, set the mix to be all post fade and post channel processing, in the mix layer set all of the faders to unity, on the spoken word
    mic inputs bump those up a little higher.
    You live stream mix will follow what you do for the main mix, you may need to bump up or down some other channel mix levels depending how loud those sources are in the room.
    Use the mix out processing to do a general overall EQ for the live stream feed, keep in mind most will be listening to it on a phone, tablet or lap top, add a little extra overall compression as well.

To add the FX to the live stream bring up the live stream mix send on the FX returns.

To get an idea of the live steam mix PAFL the mix and listen to it with good isolation headphones or have someone in another room listing to the live stream and give you suggestions.

Short of having a dedicated mixer or doing post production to a multitrack recording there is going to have to be a compromise on the live stream mix.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.