QU-32 Logic Pro X Disk Write Speed Failure

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-32 Logic Pro X Disk Write Speed Failure

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BethesdaNW BethesdaNW 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BethesdaNW
    BethesdaNW
    Participant

This may be a topic for the Logic Pro forum, but I thought I’d post it here to see what kind of response I might get.

We have moved from a PreSonus 24 to a QU32 (an amazing upgrade). With the PreSonus, the Capture software (it was called Capture) that came with the board would capture all 24 channels for 90 minutes without any issue on our stock iMac (2013 model, i5, 8GB RAM). Using Logic Pro X (the latest version as we just bought it from the Apple App Store) it won’t record even 2 channels for more then a few minutes before it stops the recording and displays a disk too slow/write speed message. One thing I’ve noticed is that Capture saved the channel files as .WAV and Logic is saving them as .AIF. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not. I thought WAV and AIF were pretty similar.

So I guess my question is, maybe someone using a stock iMac with a QU board can answer if there something I can do to enable it to capturing at least a few channels at a time for an extended time to record our church sermons (typically 15 to 60 minutes depending on what’s happening).

I don’t have a problem moving away from Logic to something else if it will work. Maybe we need a Thunderbolt/Firewire external drive to write to instead of the internal drive? We’d eventually like to capture maybe 20 channels at once when we record the band playing.

Thanks so much!

-Neil

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sounds familiar. Friend of me tries to use Logic Pro on an iMac to record from some Focusrite interface. Can’t even record stereo for more than few seconds. Same machine could do multitrack recording using Reaper (and probably any other DAW).
    If I remember correctly he swapped out his FusionDrive to something else and could also record with Logic Pro afterwards.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Fusion drive is undoubtedly trying to be clever…
    Maybe try a USB3 stick?

Profile photo of BethesdaNW
    BethesdaNW
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I think maybe I’ll look into getting an external drive and see if that resolves the issue.

-Neil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.