Qu-32 for a Home Studio set up?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-32 for a Home Studio set up?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi there, I’m looking for people’s experience of using the Qu-32 in a home studio set up. I’m currently using a Presonus 16.0.2 Studiolive desk which I’ve been pretty happy with but, as my set up has grown, I really need more inputs. I mainly work with hardware synths/sequencers but use Ableton for arranging/mixing etc. I realise the Qu range is primarily aimed at live use but the 32 is the only desk (AFAIK) within my budget with that amount of inputs so seems to fit the bill. One thing that puts me off is that I like to be able to process signals through external hardware (filters/fx etc) but I guess I can use the Mix outputs as Aux sends & return via an input.

Any views/advice would be highly appreciated – thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

yes it’s possible

and your question is not very specific
    consider the SQ series
    the audio quality and flexibility is much better as on the QU series
    and it’s easy to add input sockets with expanders if your needs grow
    internal processing is 48 channels and 4 fully usable send effects
    and it supports real hardware insert processing what the QU series does not

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you for your reply Steffen. I rarely need to use mic inputs, purely line inputs so it looked like the Qu-32 would be a more direct upgrade from my current set up in that it instantly more than doubles the inputs I have with the Presonus & with better internal FX. Whilst I can see that the SQ series is a further significant upgrade, it is also out of my budget. Any further thoughts welcomed. Best wishes.
    Andy

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Also be aware the QU board’s use only 48khz sample rate (adequate for live). The SQ’s use 96.

SteffenR
    Participant

the SQ-5 is cheaper than the QU32

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Steffen, but the SQ5 only has 16 mic rather than line inputs so doesn’t really get me any further than my current set up (other than the higher sample rate).

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@AndyRoger

If you want outboard fx then consider a used analog mixer.

Personally I would go all digital as it is much better cheaper easier to use.
    OTOH I would find the Qu32 overkill for home as I can mix stems, from those sources you note , in the DAW without needing 32 outboard channels.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Thanks Steffen, but the SQ5 only has 16 mic rather than line inputs so doesn’t really get me any further than my current set up (other than the higher sample rate).

That’s not completely true. The SQ5 have 17 MIC Inputs and three Stereo inputs which also can be used as 6 Mono inputs (ok, ST3 in is a little tricky). So you have at least 23 Inputs on that Console from the scratch. And you can extend it by using digital Stageboxes. And furthermore it is more flexible in case of routing. E.g. you can use the USB-Interface to connect the computer and use the hardware sockets to realize inserts for your channels. Something you can’t do on the QU series.

SteffenR
    Participant

SQ-5 has 17 XLR inputs, 4 jack inputs for line level and a mini jack for stereo line in
    all in all 23 analog inputs on the desk itself
    all patchable to any wanted channel
    you can combine two channels to a stereo channel (one fader but L/R signals)

you have several layers to arrange your strips freely

it’s so damn flexible… choose the SQ-6 and you have 8 XLR sockets more and it’s a bit over the QU-32 price

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok, thanks to everyone for their input – food for thought…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@steffenR

and it supports real hardware insert processing

Really? I didnt think any of the digital Allen Heath desks do that to keep all data totally phase?

Even now I still have a QU32 AND I use a QU16 simultaneously for surface area into my Imac.
    And I know that eventually the way to go is 96K
    However just think of… gosh it must be 30-40 years of recordings at 44K and Adats at 48K

Yes all good food for thought

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I didnt think any of the digital Allen Heath desks do that to keep all data totally phase?

Nobody said that the signals will be in phase.
    This is from the current reference manual:

The insert points on SQ can be used to route audio to and from any available I/O sockets, allowing analogue or digital processing to be inserted into the channel.

Inserts can also be used with the internal FX engines. See the FX engines section for more details.

But it is quite sure that using some effects on the channel insert, regardless whether it is an internal FX from the FX rack or an external effect, will add some extra latency.

SteffenR
    Participant

Really? I didnt think any of the digital Allen Heath desks do that to keep all data totally phase?

On the top range consoles it is(was) a selling argument to be able to insert analog voice processing into the channel strip
    or do some magic bus compression with real analog hardware, and even on the SQ you can use some Waves sound grid processing in inserts.

But this is not possible on the QU series, related to the architecture.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OK…. So its not a TRS insert as such like analogue consoles as such?
    One would have to use Aux sends and then return those through strips or ST1/2 in?

I did have a look at an image of thre rear of the SQ yesterday and couldnt see any Insert plugs?
    Cheers guys thanks.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@xyz

yes

you have to send it out somewhere process and then send it back in another input

there is no y cable type insert ability like analog had

so far fewer inserts possible than an analog mixer with one insert on every channel input

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.