QU24 AR168 via Cat7 200ft/60m

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU24 AR168 via Cat7 200ft/60m

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PEJ PEJ 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JJ
    JJ
    Participant

Flawlessly sent and received audio via DSnake using a Cable Matters CAT7 STP ethernet cable. The setup was used in an urban DC church, not a particular RF noisy environment but the cable run was not a straight stretch. There was no latency issues or anything of sorts and audio never dropped out. The setup was a QU-24 setup on a balcony about 200ft away from the stage. On stage we used a AR168 to plug in 16 channels and sent via Cat7. I sent 7 mixes to the stage for in-ear monitoring and again, no latency or dropout issues.

Back story, my church has had the QU 24 and AR168 sitting in a storage closet for months because we are a portable church now. We use the host church’s setup and their mixer and stage wiring stinks to say the least. I will absolutely utilize the audio over ethernet setup from here on out.

I cant say that using STP made a big difference, but the cable is only $50 so it made sense to get the best available for our needs and the pricepoint

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG6UXTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Profile photo of JJ
    JJ
    Participant

AB168****

Profile photo of PEJ
    PEJ
    Participant

Latency in the wire would be measured in microseconds or picoSec. Even a 140Km fiber optic system I operate between two cities only has a round trip time of 1.4mS.

You have learned how wonderful the AB168 is. Since you are a portable setup like I run at church, you may like my band-on-a-cart. I zip tied the AB168 to a cart and installed cabling for each band member. The cables for each are contained in braided sleeving (typically Mic XLR, DI XLR, Monitor mix out, and 12VDC for IEM amp). The braided sleeve does not tangle or knot up. The cables go in a box with their Mic, DI, IEM amp. Mic stands hang on peg board hooks and two small wedges on the bottom shelf. See the attached photo – it is not pretty, but it is efficient. We can roll out the cart and set up a 10 person band in 10 minutes with no issues – very repeatable. Just one power cord and one Ethernet cable.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.