QU 24 with external crossover?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 24 with external crossover?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tofke78 Tofke78 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wing2015
    wing2015
    Participant

Hey, my church has the QU24, but we want to get separation from the lows, mids/highs. We are on a budget and are thinking in investing in an external crossover with a subwoofer output…Not sure if we would need this or not. Need suggestions and feedback on if we should use AUX sends for the subwoofers or just use the Subwoofer output on the crossover. But how would we take out all of the lows from the main LR speakers without a crossover, besides EQ since there is no HPF on the QU24

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

We’ve just installed new speakers, and with them a tannoy tx1 processor, which handles the crossover, and has a parametric eq for the room.

I’d recommend going that way if you can, I know it’s an extra box, but it’s part of the amps/speakers really…

Tx1 recommended by our system integrator, since we have tannoy speakers it makes sense

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

PTZ of good choices. For economy try dbx PA2. Just installed that with a GLD112 and QSC line array. I just wanted to get processing outside the console. Worked great. I have used PA+ in past. Lots of others but usually little more pricey.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

I agree that speaker management should be outside the console. If it’s in the console and the console glitches, or you recall a scene badly/don’t have the right things safed, that can be very bad for your speakers (and potentially the audience too.) Also, if it’s outside the console and you need to send your console away for repairs and the replacement console you get isn’t a Qu, you don’t have dial in your XO settings again.

If you do want to your the Qu for processing, then you’ve got the peq and the geq on each output to try to shape the sound you want.

Aux fed subs can mean you get a cleaner sound, more amp headroom etc, but it can require more equipment and have more cost (depending on what gear you’ve already got.) If you’ve got volunteers doing sound, it’s one more thing for them to learn (and another place for things to go wrong.) It can also make using groups difficult. Using a normal full-range stereo output is often cheaper and simpler. Whether you do use aux fed subs or a full range output, I’d still strongly recommend that your speaker managment stays separate from the console.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

I have an XTA DP 426 like new for sale. If you are interested, mail me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.