Qu-24 with AR84 as expander

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-24 with AR84 as expander

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SCooo
    SCooo
    Participant

I’m looking to add 8 channels to my Qu-24. I purchased an AR84 but the dLink amber light continues to flash. I’ve swapped out cat5 cables as well and it continues to flash. I’ve shut it down and restarted it.

Can I expand the number of channels to my QU-24 using the AR84 or do I need to buy an AB168?

I have a Qu-Pac with an AB168 and I have 32 channels. I problem.

Do I need to get the AB168 for my Qu-24?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi SCooo,

A flashing amber light on the Lnk/Err light is normal behaviour, as this in the Lnk or Link part of the LED and means there is a connection. It would display a solid red LED if there was an error.

Adding expanders to the Qu does not increase the channel count, but it does increase the amount of available sockets which you can assign to any of your channels. The Qu-32, Qu-Pac and Qu-SB all have the same channel count of 32 mono inputs, but all 32 inputs are available using the local IO on the Qu-32. Whereas the Qu-Pac and Qu-SB need an expander to provide the input sockets for channels 17-32.

The Qu-24 has 24 mono input channels, so adding an AR84 will not increase this to 32. But you can assign the 8 input sockets of the AR84 to any of the input channels, including the ST channels (which may be useful for stereo instruments such as keyboards).

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of SCooo
    SCooo
    Participant

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate the feedback. I can see the benefit of the AR84 if I’m trying to go stereo from a keyboard into a mono on a Qu24 so I don’t use a ton of channels. I have that same issue with my Qu-pac. That’s definitely a good solution. But for now I’m trying to add more channels to my Qu-24. So it doesn’t sound like it’s going to work for me.

I’m trying to duplicate my live set up with my studio. I’m just going to sell my 24 and buy another QUPac with an ab168. Part of the problem I have is I write songs in the studio on the 24 and create scenes and then when I transfer to my QUPac the levels change because of the ab168 signals are slightly different. When I play out I have to do all the sound myself and I don’t have time to dick around with remixing at this juncture. I need to reduce set up time not create more work.

You did help me out quite a bit. Sorry if I confused you at all. I’m not a sound engineer but am I’m a two piece band with tons of electronic gear with a studio set up that stays out and a duplicate tour setup so I need everything to transfer back and forth between studio and live to reduce variation. I know there will be some adjustments that need to be made depending on the venue but the less variation the better. Some day when we have our own sound guy I’ll rethink the set up but as long as I gave to play musician and sound man I need to get rid of my mixing board.

Thanks.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SCooo

Qu24+8=Qu32??

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m looking to add 8 channels to my Qu-24. I purchased an AR84 but the dLink amber light continues to flash. I’ve swapped out cat5 cables as well and it continues to flash. I’ve shut it down and restarted it.

Can I expand the number of channels to my QU-24 using the AR84 or do I need to buy an AB168?

I have a Qu-Pac with an AB168 and I have 32 channels. I problem.

Do I need to get the AB168 for my Qu-24?

As Alex said using any of the stage boxes with a QU16, 24 or 32 will not gain any more input channels over the fixed channel inputs with the exception of assigning stage box mic inputs to the ST1 and ST2 inputs, I’ve done that with my QU Pac to squeeze a couple more channels out of it.
    You can mix and match local inputs and stage box inputs in any combination but you don’t any extra input channels over the 16,24, or 32 short of assigning the ST inputs to the stage
    On the QU SB and QU Pac you can go up to 32 inputs.

Depending on how many live channels you need at a given time here’s a trick to add some extra virtual channels for lack of a better term.
    With your QU24 lets say that you need to connect 30 inputs to the system but at any given time you only need 24 channels to be live to the mix.

If you program scenes as needed by re assigning the stage box IO and what channels on the mixer the stage box inputs are mapped to. With scene recalls it will change the configuration and source of the inputs for different songs ect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.