Qu-24 Scene access for Standard users

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-24 Scene access for Standard users

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Say if I as Admin reserve Scenes 1-9 for admin use and just allocate Scenes 10-100 for Standard users, and if I setup Scene 1 as the DEFAULT scene with all the main parameters like routing etc set up here.
    Is there a way that I could allow a Standard user to automatically open Scene 1 when they log in so they always log into the DEFAULT scene with the correct settings, but restricting them from writing over Scene 1 by adjusting these settings and pressing save. In other words just allow them Read only access to Scene 1?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Copy *your* scene 1 to a new scene 10 ?

Giga

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Giga, I already do this but on a number of occasions one of the Standard users make changes in Scene 10 (such as switching off routing by accident) and then save the scene, so when next Standard user logs in and uses Scene 10 there will be a routing (or whatever) problem.
    The only way to avoid this is if Scene 10 was able to be made ‘read only’ and couldn’t be overwritten, but I can’t see from manual a way to have this setup?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Did the method suggested here:

Default Scene read only?

not work?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Can’t you get away with letting them log in as a Basic user only ? Or maybe give all of your Standard users their own default scene with their own password. In the home – User screen you have the possibility to set permissions per user also.

Giga

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Mark do you mean this suggestion from Dr Dave:
    “Define a scene range for standard (and basic) users (eg 16-100). Define a start scene (eg 15) outside of that range. Put a scene recall for the start scene on a soft button. Set a password for the top level user. Whenever a user logon occurs, or whenever the soft button is pressed, the start scene will be recalled, resetting any parameters which are not made safe.”

But is he not talking about having to press a soft key in order to recall the default Scene (which is outside the Standard user scene range). I don’t think the standard users will always remember to press a soft key…. In any case if they did press the soft key and the default Scene 1 was recalled, would they be able to adjust settings and save or will they be blocked from saving??

MarkPAman
    Participant

I don’t know if it works, I’ve not tried it. DrDave says it does though, and I’d assumed that you would have given it a go, as it seemed to be what you were asking for???

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

It seems that revocing the permission for both routing options for the standard user would solve the problem where one of your techs accidentally screws up the routing. Give it a try !

Giga

MarkPAman
    Participant

OK – Just tried doing what DrDave suggested – mainly out of curiosity.

So the recall scene on a softy does work, even it the scene is outside the range that the user can select. But better than that, the default default user scene can also be outside that range. Which I think is exactly what you wanted?

As they can’t get to it in the scenes screen, they can’t overwrite it.

Alternatively, you’ve got 15 Soft Keys to play with if you use an Qu-Pad, (or Qu-Control on a phone) so you could set up to 15 different stating points that users can recall after logging in

– Just noticed what auto correct has done to “Soft Key”, but I like it so it can stay!

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

I just tested the Scene ‘Read only’ setup and it works, without need for Softkey.

So I logged in as Admin and then selected Standard user and selected Scene 1 as the User Scene and Scene 10-100 as the Scene Range for Standard users. So the Admin has Read & Write access for Scenes 1-9, and the Standard user has Read & Write access for Scenes 10-100, and Read only access to Scene 1 on startup. So if I make Scene 1 the DEFAULT scene with all the correct routing etc, then every time a Standard user logs in it will automatically be on this default Scene 1. He can still tweak settings (and even change the routing, I think?) when in this scene during the service but he can’t then save these as Scene 1, he can only save to Scenes 10-100.

This is ideal, so I will instruct the Standard users to simply log in and set up the Sunday sound from Scene 1. If for example they are in during the week to set up for Sunday (e.g. for band rehearsal) then they set up from Scene 1 and then save to a scene within their range, e.g. Scene 11.

Thanks Dr. Dave and others….

This is what I was wanting all along, read only access to the default scene, but I didn’t know that Standard users could be automatically logged onto a scene on startup outside of Standard user range, is this only a recent upgrade add-on or was this facility there all along?

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

Yes, this procedure, without softkey, has been in operational use at my church for over 2 years now.
    Be careful though with your shutdown and startup procedures: the start scene is only recalled if you actually logon. If you just cut the mixer power after messing with routing settings, then when you apply power again I don’t think you will be asked to logon, and all the messed up settings will be preserved.
    But then, that isn’t that what you would want if you had a power cut mid-performance?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi Dave
    Earlier today I was in church and tried this logon procedure again as described in my previous post, but discovered a glitch….
    So when I log in as Admin and then log out and shut down, and then when I log back in as Standard it automatically opens Scene 1, all good so far.

But…..if I log out and shut down after being logged in as Standard user and then log back in again as Standard user, it doesn’t open Scene 1 but opens the first scene in the Standard range, which in my case is Scene 10 !!…not so good!

I wonder is there a way to keep Scene 1 automatically opening up whenever a Standard user logs in??

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Manual says:

You can assign a User Scene to recall automatically when the User logs in. This recalls when the User is changed, not when the same user logs back in after power up.

So I guess this is intentional behavior to start with whatever state was active when powered down. Probably needs an additonal “Always load Scene” checkbox.

MarkPAman
    Participant

So, back to the Soft Key plan for now……..

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

The different login method works well for my church, as services alternate between using the Basic and Standard user types; the volunteers at the traditional services are actually pleased that they are locked out of using the scary knobs etc used for band-led worship services, and have the assurance that the system behaves always in exactly the same way. Only once have I been called out – an earlier operator had powered down the system with a global mute, and the visually-challenged volunteer switching on the system didn’t notice the logon prompt on the touch screen.

As Andreas points out, the startup scene recall only takes place on power-up if the User type changes, and to me that is a good thing if you momentarily lose power for instance.

The Soft key plan should be OK; we use a Soft Key scene recall approach from a protected range of scenes for rearranging the loudspeaker routing for a simple service in a side-chapel, and this is available to Basic users.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.