QU-24 random fader operation

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-24 random fader operation

This topic contains 32 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Allen & Heath Product Support Allen & Heath Product Support 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi chaps,

Using a QU-24 on a show at the moment, firmware is 1.7.

Using scene memories for each track, all seemed fine during tech runs, but yesterday during a dress rehearsal, the faders for the channels I was using for playback suddenly dropped back to zero.

Has anyone had this issue? I’ve not been able to recreate it.

Rather frustratingly it’s made my feel awkward about relying on the desk, meaning that when we had a minor hiccup during a performance this evening I immediately blamed the QU and had to call a show-shop. It turned out to be an error on my part but I just couldn’t help feeling that had I not had yesterdays problems maybe I would have been able to look at it with a clearer head!

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    Never had that happen.
    You’ve probably thought of these but just in case…..
    1. Anyone possibly got remote access via iPad?
    2. Did you inadvertently hit a different mix or fx button that had zeroed faders?
    3. If you just recalled a scene could it have been saved on something other than LR & brought back number 2 above?
    4. You accidentally activated the fader calibration?

If you weren’t touching the mixer at all and there were no wireless devices connected it’s a head melter :/

Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

I did have the same problem with my Qu-16 after updating to 1.7
    At a little show I did only with playbacks. 2 times in about 5 hours my playback faders went to zero. And there was no iPad connected or any other device. And I also didn´t touch the mixer at the moment the faders moved.

I think this could be a bug.?!

Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

Does anyone else have this random fader move problem? I still have it. Sometimes. But couldn´t see a reason for it.

Only thing:
    One time I had this problem 4 or 5 hours after I disconnected my iPad from the WiFi, after using it with the Qu-16.
    As long as there was no iPad connected or is still connected, nothing happens. After disconneting it, some hours later the Qu-16 will do this fader movement.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

When you stopped using the iPad, did you “Logout” from the QuPad?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

One of our sound guys had this happen a few weeks ago on our QU-24.
    He was just sitting there during worship and one of the faders just moved down to zero by itself.
    Gremlins inside !!

There is an iPad connected earlier for setup but he had this turned off and the router switched off, so there was no way another person with QU-Pad on their phone could have opereated this.

This is worrying. Is this bug fixable Nicola ?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Nicola, will V1.71 fix this ‘fader moving on it’s own’ issue?

Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

No, 1.71 doesn’t fix the problem. I have updated today and I am using my Qu-16 NOW. Some minutes ago 4 faders had a very special position, without touching it. 2 ch paired together had different positions. What’s that?
    All channels have been on lowest position befor.

I used my iPad for soundcheck. Logged out and disconnected from my Airport Express. The Access Point was still connected with the Qu-16.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Might be a good case for adding a motor kill option. Unless movement is needed for a show. Kill supply voltage to all motors. Only engage if scene changes or layer changes are needed. Would take some getting used to but assigned to a softkey might take the worry out of random movements during critical times.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Depends if the bug is in the motor operation, or a random zeroing of the channel which is then reflected by the motor…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Good point. But motor control by a computer has always scared me.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“Depends if the bug is in the motor operation, or a random zeroing of the channel which is then reflected by the motor…”

Has anybody seen this on a Qu-Pac?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Don’t have one but never have seen it yet on a QU16 but I don’t use it much. Will be a lot more starting end of May.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

After I put in firmware 1.7 a few weeks ago I had really weird unexplained events happen to the QU32.
    I could not figure what the heck was going on?
    so… Even though A & H say scenes and show are not effected.. I dont know so much?
    I did a cold hard boot and reloaded some settings back in.
    Since then I have cold hard booted and using the QU32 everyday all day (10 hours per day) in a studio situation (USB streaming & Ethernet driving midi into MAC ) and it hasn’t missed a beat. No unexplained moving faders and I’m switching between Custom layer and lower layer a lot.
    However I’m NOT using scenes.

Profile photo of mumawu
    mumawu
    Participant

I think there is something going on between the network and the new functions on Qu-Pad.
    With 1.7 you can control so much more things, maybe there is any bug? After disconneting the Network/Access Point and reconnect it – everything is ok, I think.

It´s difficult to recreate the thinks – cause it´s always an other thing happening, or even not. Weird.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.