QU-24 / Logic Pro Control Surfaces / Mac OS Catalina

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU-24 / Logic Pro Control Surfaces / Mac OS Catalina

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sleeplesswaves
    sleeplesswaves
    Participant

Hi all,

I just got a new QU-24. Woo hoo! I saw that Catalina isn’t officially supported yet when downloading software. Has anyone tested it? Does that mean is doesn’t work, or that it’s simply not supported yet? Just want to clarify before I take more steps.

Tutorials are a bit sparse online, but I did find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxdgQhKex4

– I have DAW Control 1.71 installed
    – I’m running MAC OS 10.15.2
    – I have the MIDI on the QU-24 set to channel 14 and the MIDI on the DAW control set to 15
    – The little squares light up when I make changes on the mixer
    – I have added Mackie control surfaces x4 in logic and set the input/output to match MIDI 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 on each control surface added
    – I am able to record 32 individual tracks in Logic fine

But when I slide the faders, nothing happens in Logic. Is this a Catalina problem or something I might have missed.

I realize I may have missed mentioning a setting or three here, there are many things I configured, like USB streaming, etc.

Any input welcome as I get things setup.

Cheers

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Sleeplesswaves,

It is correct that MacOS Catalina is not officially supported at the moment, but I can help make sure everything on the desk is set up correctly before suggesting that Catalina is the cause of the problem.

Could you confirm you are viewing the custom layer on the Qu and you have assigned MIDI channel strips to all channels of the custom layer?

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of SoupKitchen
    SoupKitchen
    Participant

Hey Alex, do you have any updates on the Catalina issue? We’re halfway to the next macOS being released and we are still blocked from updating to the last. I’m using qu32 at the moment. Thanks!

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi SoupKitchen,

Unfortunately, MacOS Catalina has not yet completed our test procedure, so I don’t have any news on this at the moment. We will inform the forum as soon as official support is announced.

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of Kc_minne
    Kc_minne
    Participant

Is there any idea on the duration time for this? We have no particular hurry, but wanted to install it on my Macbook Pro and didn’t find any resources to install it other then it is not supported on catalina. As you are testing, surely there is something in de dev pipeline and its just bugfixing now… If you look for a tester, more then welcome to let you abuse my macbook pro for it… We use a Qu-32.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi KC,

Unfortunately, I cannot offer an ETA for this as support will be announced as soon as it testing is complete. The time this takes can vary depending on what is found during the test procedure, so it’s not possible to offer a time scale.

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of TimBo55
    TimBo55
    Participant

2 things, really. One… this Catalina issue should really have been done and dusted by now. Still no timeline on when this will be finished?

and second..The DAW control driver… I have never managed to get this to work with Logic X. The installation set-up is convoluted (having to wire it up in the Environment page…really?) I can’t believe it would have been beyond the wit and wisdom of your people to have had an installer that would simply set this up. I have tried installing/uninstalling (rinse and repeat) a number of times and have never managed to get it working as it should.
    I know the QU series is a few years old now, but I get that feeling that any further development support is pretty much on the back burner, now.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi TimBo55,

As I’ve said above, an ETA cannot be provided. We could only provide an ETA if we sat on completed work for a period of time, and we’d much rather announce support as soon as it’s available.

With regards to getting Logic setup for DAW Control, the steps detailed in the DAW Control Help document are required to have this set up correctly and how DAWs interface with control surfaces is not something we have control over. If you’re having trouble setting this up, please go to support.allen-heath.com to start a support ticket and one of the team will be happy to help.

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of SoupKitchen
    SoupKitchen
    Participant

Hey Alex,
    can you oficially confirm to me that someone is actually working on this? If you’re phasing out Qu then I need to now. I’m a little under pressure here to either update our Workstations or get rid of all A&H stuff.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi SoupKitchen,

Qu series mixers are now officially supported on MacOS Catalina, however, other products such as the DAW Control Driver are still in test.

The Qu is still very much a current product for us and there are no plans to phase it out in the near future. However, when the day does come that we discontinue the Qu, we still aim to support discontinued products for as long as possible – we still get support inquiries for products which have been discontinued for 10 years or so!

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of jdstroy
    jdstroy
    Participant

QU series is now officially supported? How did you do this without providing a new firmware? There is only 1.95 from mid 2018 available. Or did it get fixed by macOS update to 10.15.4? Do I miss something? Had serious problems with Catalina! macOS 10.14 is working fine.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

They probably just put it through a bunch of tests.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi jdstroy,

The Qu series is class compliant for Mac systems, so although we don’t assume the Qu works with every new Mac OS, there shouldn’t be any major change in a new Mac OS that would require a firmware update on the Qu. We test every new OS release before supporting it to make sure it is working correctly and in the case of Catalina, the tests were completed successfully and support for this was confirmed.

Similarly with DAW Control, a new version of the driver is not anticipated for it to be supported on Mac OS Catalina, but we are fully testing it nonetheless to ensure this is the case. This means testing all aspects of the driver, including functionality for GLD and ZED R16 (which are both now discontinued). There will be a new version of the driver in the near future to add support for Avantis, so it’s possible support for Catalina will coincide with a new driver release – even though a new driver may not be required for Catalina support.

If you’re having trouble with Catalina for audio streaming, please go to support.allen-heath.com for assistance via a support ticket.

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of Eden
    Eden
    Participant

Hi Alex

Im working with SQ-7 catalina macOS, seem are NOT working till today

Do you have a date line to ensure the catalina will work with SQ-7

Thank you

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I believe there are many people out there working successful with Catalina

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.