QU-24 Group and Matrices post/pre-fade routing issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-24 Group and Matrices post/pre-fade routing issue

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

At our church we have just got a new QU-24 desk and the speakers have been connected as follows:
    – The main FOH speakers to Main LR output
    – The 4 front & mid balcony mounted speakers connected to Matrix 1-2 and 3-4 outputs (and these are controlled from the Mtx1-2 and Mtx3-4 faders)
    – The balcony speakers are connected to Group1-2 outputs (and these are controlled from the Grp1-2 faders)
    All fine so far. But the Matrix outs are controlled Post main LR fader, but the Group outs are controlled Pre main LR fader.
    I would ideally like all the auxiliary speakers to be controlled Post main LR fader, so that if we need to reduce the overall sound quickly we can just turn down the main LR fader.
    Is there a way to route the Group outs to be Post fader?
    Or failing that then route the Matrix outs Pre fader, so there is consistency?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Do you need different delays/eq on all of those speaker sets?
    Do you have a processor or just a direct feed to amps?

I’d look to combine two of the sets of speakers onto one of the matrix outputs.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You could (I think) assign all your outputs to one DCA group.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Yes Bob there are different delays on each Matrix and Group out. I would have thought you could set all the outputs (Group and Matrix) pre-fade or post-fade, but it seems not?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

And i forgot to say, all the outputs are going to amps and then onto the speakers (obviously)

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm – that’s a lot of different delays –

Matrices and groups are inherently different beasts.

We have an external processor which does crossovers and the like, and can put in different delays to all the various outputs.
    Not that that’s an option you want to be pursuing.

I assume that all the signals are the same, just the delay being different?

Is an external delay box (or a few of them) an option?

My issue with the DCA solution is that you lose the sense of the L&R fader

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Another way would be to feed everything to groups 1+2, and not to L+R. 1+2 then feed the main speakers directly, with the matrix & L+R all being post fade from 1+2 – feeding the various delayed outputs.

Though again, the “main” fader no longer does what you logically think it should….

FWIW, if it were me, I think I’d get an external delay line and feed it from the ALT output.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.