QU-24 dSnake AH9650

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-24 dSnake AH9650

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 3 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

Hi

I am newly signed up to the forum so don’t judge me too harshly.

I have been tasked by our worship leader with getting some new kit for our church as we come out of lockdown.
    We’ve been doing a lot of research and are planning to buy a QU-24, AR2412 and sundry equipment, including the AH9650 dSnake cable or similar.
    The AH9650 is recommended by A&H, but the cheapest we can find them for is around £500. That may be a good price, but without knowledge it feels like a lot for a 50m cable on a drum.

The question is two fold, first is £500 a fair price for this kit, and second, if not, where can we get one for less or is there a comparable product for less. We need it to be on a drum as we don’t have our own building and thus have to pack everything away every Sunday.

Thanks

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

Just doing some more checking, would either of these be good for an alternative to the AH9650?
    I suppose the real question is, is the AH9650 just a branded option and thus it is very expensive, or is it doing something that cannot be achieved by generic Cat5e cables?

Screened Van Damme Cat5e Lead on Reel / Drum. Flexible Cable, Neutrik Ethercon

Pro CAT5e Cable Drum 50m Screened Neutrik Chassis

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Jim

I suppose once the cable is installed and won’t be reeled up every night I would say that a budget CAT5e drum will be fine.

This is one brand that I purchased second hand about 3yrs ago and has worked just fine on the occasions that I have used it, it hasn’t been used a lot, especially with the current state of play over the last 12 months. So I cannot say whether it would stand up to regular abuse compared to a more expensive brand.

https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/CAT5-Digital-Multicore-with-Neutrik-EtherCon-Connectors-50m/1099

Cheers

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

Thanks Lee

We need one that can be reeled every week. As I say we don’t own our own building – we rent a school hall each week and thus have to clear away every Sunday.
    If this can be achieved with the one you have linked above that would be perfect as one tenth the price is ideal.
    Just don’t want to buy something that won’t stand the test of time being reeled and unreeled each week.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Jim

I think that if you treat it with respect it should give you many years of service. Even the best brands will only take so much abuse.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If this is a permanent install and in a safe position where it can’t get walked on, or bashed by passers by, then any CAT5e cable will be fine. If you’re able to terminate it yourself (or know somebody who can) the you can get 300m of solid core install cable for under £60 – and put in several runs, as it’s useful for other things too. I’ve used this as “disposable” cable at festivals from time to time.

My own 50m drum, which is deployed at each gig so not always handled or protected as well as I’d like, is stranded, and has relatively thick rubber. It’s not a named brand, though was not the cheapest available – similar drums seem to be about £150 these days. Not had a problem with it in 10 years or so – though there’s alway a spare in the van.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.