QU-24 Config issues

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-24 Config issues

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DoctorG DoctorG 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Preacher
    Preacher
    Participant

First my disclaimer……. I am by all definition a newbie at this. My church just rescently purchased the QU-24 and a few powered speakers ( QSC K12 [2]; QSC K10 [2]; and the powered sub as well as 100 foot 24 channel snake). I am having so many issues…

1. What should be the correct connection speakers to snake, snake to board QU-24, mics wired to snake, wireless miss to board,

keyboard and keyboard amp to snake for live recording, drums and bass also to snake for live recording? DIAGRAM please.

2. What should be the board configuration. Didn’t get any help from the GUITAR CENTER.

3. How should I place speakers? Im always getting major feedback from them.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP…… I apologize for being in this situation.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Sorry for your issues. But let this be a lesson. Hire a good reputable sound contractor next time who will install this system and train you how to use it.

Your wired mics on stage would plug into the snake stage box. Those channels would come up on the console channels in the LOCAL mode in the Source section. The wireless mics outputs would likely be near the console. Outputs plugged directly into the console. If on stage then into the stage box and those channels plugged into the console. Since you didn’t say you had a digital snake all your Source settings on the console will be LOCAL. Not Dsnake.

Your main LR out of the console would return back through the snake on return channels with appropriate connectors. Those channels could go from the
    stage box to the K12’s. The K10’s I presume are monitors. Start with Mix 1 output on console. Use other return channels in the snake and out of the stage box to the K10’s. Same method as the Main LR. As for configuration not sure what you mean. The console is designed to work mainly on 2 levels. One for inputs and the top layer button for ST inputs and masters.

As for speaker placement. Typically the mains should be out in front of the stage not behind the mics but in front or hung forward of the front most mics. Monitors aiming up at the person on the mic. Mic pointing in same direction as the speaker points. Not at the speaker. That is a cause for feedback.

Hope that helps you some. I could do a drawing if you wish but might take a few days.

Sorry for my initial opening. I just have seen this too much. I have spoken at conferences about this very problem.

If you wish contact me directly at george@midcommav.com or call me anytime at: 270-559-2475

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Where in the world are you – you need to find someone who can help you locally.
    Forums are good, but we’re really going to struggle getting you up to speed by Q&A, someone on the ground – preferably a professional, although a GOOD amateur will get you up to decent speed – will be in a much better place to help.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

https://www.prosoundweb.com/article/mixer_connections_38_operation/

this link should get you started, but I agree that you should hire a local tech to shepherd you through the valley of ignorance into the light of knowledge.

BTW, the above link was reached by a Google search for “audio mixer hookup diagram”.
    Be careful crossing streets…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Other local churches might be a source of techies – go and listen to their audio before asking 😉

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Wow! GCumbee gave you a short course in audio tech in 3 paragraphs! Well, not really, but it was helpful advice. And DR linked you to a good basic article, but realize (as he does) that it was written for an analog console. Things like EQ, dynamics, and effects work differently on a digital console. He warned you about “crossing streets.”

The total breadth of knowledge required for a competent audio tech is quite large. Don’t feel bad if you’re having problems. While you may be able get the system hooked up and working, there is still a great deal of knowledge needed to operate the system properly.

Since you need to get running quickly, you should seek help from a local retailer who has a good techie on staff, and agree to pay him if necessary, or check with a local church to see if you can find a skilled audio tech, as has been suggested. However, be careful, for many lay audio techs have simply been trained to operate their system and may not know all the technical details needed for your situation. He may be learning along with you, and that can be frustrating.

The QU series has become quite popular, so it is possible that you could find another church using one, and the operators may be able to give you some good suggestions.

If your church is part of an association, the staff there may be able to recommend an installer or someone else who can be of help.

For the longer term, it is critical to read the A&H manual thoroughly. The mixer is complicated enough that you won’t just be able to “figure it out.” Audio technology is the same way. You need to find a good book written for live sound engineers. You’ll find several on Amazon.com, and I’m hoping my contribution here will cause others on the forum to send you some recommendations. You might find some books in a local library that will help you select the one you feel is best for you. You should have your own copy, however, as it will take some time to learn what is needed, and you may have to refer back to it from time to time.

Of course, on the internet you can find helpful resources by querying for specific issues that you encounter, but it is fairly time-consuming and may be narrowly-focused. A book that covers the entire arena in a coordinated fashion is probably more helpful. Most books were written for analog consoles (all the ones I know about), but try to find one written in this era of digital mixers.

One more possibility – WFX is being held in Nashville in November. They offer hands-on training for sound operators. You might look into that option, too.

You need external help for the short term, but don’t ignore the long-term need for knowledge to keep your system operating properly and maximize its potential.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.