Qu-24 as WDM source in Windows for Livestream?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-24 as WDM source in Windows for Livestream?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of davidweb
    davidweb
    Participant

Hey, sorry if this is a newb question but I’ve been searching all over and couldn’t find an answer.
    Our club livestreams many of our shows via Wirecast/Youtube.
    I like to use a mix of room mics and a matrix mix from the board to feed it.
    Currently I do this with a somewhat janky approach. XLR out from Qu-24 Matrix into H4N Zoom, mix with room audio, out via 3.5mm headphone into the mic input on the camera that then feeds into the PC and goes out into Livestream. It works. But it’s a lot of extra crap/steps I’m not sure I need.

Finally got around to loading the ASIO/WDM driver for Windows onto the PC and connected the Qu-24 via usb.
    It shows up.
    And I even downloaded a DAW (Reaper) to confirm that I could see channels from Qu-24 on the PC.

Since the driver is listed as both a WDM and ASIO driver, I assumed there would be a way to just take the WDM signal from the board and mix it into Wirecast (my streaming application). And sure enough, it does show up as an audio device in Wirecast.

But I can’t figure out how to specify what channels/mix is included in that WDM signal.

I know if I load Reaper (or another DAW), I can control which channels are mapped from the Qu-24. And I can do a nice custom mix.
    But there’s no easy way to go out from the DAW (which uses ASIO) into Wirecast (which is WDM). There are some convoluted solutions I’ve read about online.

But before I go there I thought I would check to see what the proper use of the Qu as a WDM device looks like.
    I was hoping I could do a custom matrix mix out, route it via USB to the PC, and simply select the Qu as WDM audio source in Wirecast.
    And I think I can. Just don’t know how to specify what channels/mix go into that WDM feed.

Thanks for any tips and sorry if this is a simple question.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Checkout section 8.14 in the manual Setup->Output Patch->USB Audio. There you can specify which channels are sent via USB. Not sure which pair is picked from WDM (either 1/2 or the last ones).

davidweb
    Participant

Ok. Thanks.
    I’m familiar with the procedure for specifying which channels get routed for USB streaming in general, but was not clear how that translates into WDM specifically. So your guess is that WDM is just a single pair of channels and is either 1+2 or 17+18 (the default L+R Post Fader)?
    But if that’s the case, I could just create a specific matrix mix for the livestream, map it to either 1+2 or 17+18 and then pull it into apps that support WDM devices (like Wirecast).

Will try that this afternoon.

davidweb
    Participant

No luck. I tried patching L and R into every USB pair I could think of, and the signal never showed up in the PC.
    What did work (kinda) was routing a specific input to a pair of USB outputs.
    For example, if I was just playing background, house music through ST3 jack on the front of the board, I could go into the DAW, select Channels 31/32 and have them show up.

But I wasn’t able to map a basic L+R mix (either pre or post) to any of the USB channels.
    And I could never get a signal from any channel to show up as the basic WDM source.

I’m sure I’m missing something basic, but I can’t figure out what it is.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just checked with my Qu32 and it works as expected. First two USB streams show up as WDM input on Windows and whatever I route to those streams will be recorded (using Windows Audiorecorder for testing), including various LR feeds (pre/post/mono mixdown/individual LR), matrix or PAFL…
    I’d suggest to use a matrix (fed from LR pre or post) and add some gain using the compressor stage, otherwise the 18dB headroom will make the signal probably too low for your application.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.