Qu-24 + AR84 + AB168 + ME

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-24 + AR84 + AB168 + ME

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of packinpennies
    packinpennies
    Participant

Hi all,

My A/V department owns a Qu-24, an AB168 stage rack, and an AR84 expander. I like this setup because we can use either or both of the stage racks for various I/O configs depending on the gig. We also have an ME-U hub with 4 ME-1 units.

For our next gig, we need all 24×12 I/O’s that the AB168 and AR84 offer when daisy chained together, but we also would like to use the ME-1’s with the ME-U for in-ear mixes for the musicians as well. Only problem is, neither the AR84 or the ME-U offer dedicated expander ports like the AB168 does to daisy chain to either the AR84 or the ME-U.

I thought of 3 possible solutions, and I wanted to know if any of them will work before I try them:

1) Use the ME-U hub as a switch for both the ME units and the AR84. The chain would be Qu-24 -> AB168 -> ME-U. Then the ME-1’s and the AR84 all connect into the ME-U’s dSnake outputs.

2) Use a layer 2 network switch as mentioned here. I would go Qu-24 -> AB168 -> network switch from expander port, and then connect both the ME-U hub and the AR84 into the switch. Then the ME-1’s all are connected to the ME-U.

3) Daisy chain the ME-1 units directly and not use the ME-U hub. The chain would be Qu-24 -> AB168 -> ME-1’s -> AR84 at the end.

Do any of these configurations work, or is it impossible to use an AB168, an AR84, and ME units with the Qu-24 all at the same time?

Thanks,
    Justin

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

I’m afraid none of the configurations you suggest would work. A Layer 2 switch can be used in between any two devices, for example to extend the cable length, but given the nature of the dSNAKE protocol you cannot connect a third device to the switch.

I would suggest looking at a second AB168 or at an AR2412, perhaps you could hire one in for this particular gig?

Profile photo of packinpennies
    packinpennies
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the heads up. Does that mean that the ME-U’s dSnake monitor outputs are not the same as dSnake expander outputs?

As for the gig, we are opting to omit the ME units and just run mono & stereo mixes from the board to headphone amps for their in-ears.

-Justin

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The ME-U works as a hub broadcasting the input stream to the 10 ports, it doesn’t allow bidirectional communication with the devices. The AudioRacks on the contrary need to establish a connection with the mixer hence wouldn’t work with ME-U.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.