QU-24 + AB168

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-24 + AB168

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

@pete – I own an AB168 to go along with my Qu16. It’s great. Never had a problem on any event. Easy to carry, lightweight and durable. Like Rob (see his post above) I purchased a 50m reel of Cat5E from Sweetwater. It’s branded Behringer on the website but Behringer doesn’t make it. It turns out that it’s the same reel that is advertised on the A&H website, made by a German company called Schill. I found the cheapest price on Sweetwater – https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NCAT5E50M
    Also, I’ve used a ProCo 50′ data cable coupled to the 50m Cat5E cable with a Neutrik RJ45 barrel and it worked perfectly.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Schill is manufacturing the reel not the cable.

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Thank you everyone. I finally ordered an AB168 from Sam Ash and the Fedex tracking number says it will arrive this Tuesday. I shall no doubt have fun setting it up. No TV for Pete this coming week.

This is a great forum. People are very helpful.

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Well, I ended up not getting an AB168. I just (today) took delivery of an AR2414. What I have is a GLD-2414 and the dealer (Sam’s Music) tells me that it is exactly the same as the QU-2414. He called the US distributor who confirmed this whilst I was in the store. They assure me that this combination works and it is the only AR2414 variant they sell.

I am having trouble patching the LR-L & LR-R outputs to the AR2414. I have the pre-LR Master Fader outputs on theAR2414 but not LR Mix after the Master Fader. Can someone please tell me exactly how to do this please.Patch Screen
    What I need to do is to switch the LR Pre L & LR Pre R outputs currently located in the box on the left side of the screen (in the AR2414 section) with the LR L & LR R on the right side of the screen because I do not have an AR84 and, I do not really wish to have to buy one.

I have read the manual which says “Qu outputs can be patched to the rack sockets using the Setup / Output Patch / dSNAKE screen.” Which is not too helpful.
    The YouTube tutorial is similarly vague on the subject simply stating that it can be done. I Googled this and could not find anything.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

I just called Allen & Heath’s US distributor who set me straight on two things.

1. The difference between the GLD and QU variants of the AR2414 is that GLD variant has a black front panel and the QU one is purple. There are, I am told, no other differences.

2. To pact, you touch the channel and turn the Screen Rotary knob. Duh! How simple. I was double tapping, dragging and trying to double select. Just turn the knob… Easy.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

ok, already solved…

This is a touch screen. Just touch the socket you want to change so it gets highlighted. Then turn the encoder next to the screen to select whatever you want to route to that socket. Press Apply when finished.
    Yes, the manual does not state on every page that selecting a parameter of interest needs to be touched on screen… 😉

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

@andreas, Thank you — again. I absolutely hate not being able to solve these things myself. I am old enough and experienced (which means I have made almost every mistake possible at least once) to know enough about this. Seems not…

It was such a simple fix in the end. I was just too fixed on touch screen (blame phones and tablets) to turn the encoder. Dimwit I.

However I still maintain tha an extra paragraph in the manual would have helped.

The guys at Music America were really helpful once they were over my British accent and phoning from the USA.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yes, you’re not the first who oversee the display encoder, even when totally familiar with it to change values or scroll through scene and library lists. The QuDrive softbutton assignment come into mind (well, that one is documented in the latest manual). Sometimes we elder people just think too complex… 😉

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

For Pete’s sake! 🙂

I was going to say,,, please don’t buy a AB168, get an AR2412 since you have a Qu24. Now I read that you did just that 🙂 GOOD GOOD GOOD!
    I have a Qu24 and an AR2412 and love it, using it this Saturday for a show.

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Thanks dpdan. The AR2414 turned out to be the better, if slightly more expensive soolution. It also fits nicely into my stage rack and it works perfectly.

One of the most impressive things about the QU-24 + AR2414 setup is that it is utterly viceless. It just works exactly as it should. I am seriously impressed and now that I have spent 2 weeks playing with the QU I am happy to take it to its first show on the 19th. Only about 300 people but I am looking forward to it, not worried about it (or me) at all.

You guys in here have just been great.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Have a fun time with it Pete,,,

I agree, this is a fun place 🙂
    And yes, it plugs in and works,
    no IP addressses or setup junk > it just works!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.