QU-16/24 on a non-inverter generator??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16/24 on a non-inverter generator??

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tommy Tommy 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike M
    Mike M
    Participant

Hello:
    I have an upcoming sound gig and the stage will be powered by a generator.
    I cannot get any info from the event as to what kind of generator will be provided…I keep getting “a large industrial generator…”
    I have used my QU-16 and QU-24 on “inverter-generators” (Honda EU3000IS, Predator inverter gens) and there have been no issues.

Will a non-inverter generator work?? Have you had any experience?
    I have used my Mixwizard on non-inverter gens and they seem to handle it well.

Any insight would be appreciated..

Mike M

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Mike…

This is why I bought my own Honda EU generators.

There’s no telling until you get there. If it’s a proper diesel generator as their description implies, then all you have to worry about is proper voltage, polarity and grounding. Knowing how to use a DVM to verify power should be a must even on venue power.

If it’s a loud gasoline powered construction generator, STAY AWAY.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I would definitely invest in a UPS with surge protection if i were going to run that off a generator. That should smooth out the power supply to your desk.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Of course you mean a REAL UPS: in-line, double conversion “always on” unit, not a back-up unit like you get from the office supply store. The proper unit will be taking the generator power to keep the batteries charged and running off the batteries via a pure sine wave inverter.

Surge protection is inherent in this type of unit. Anything touted in the product literature as providing “surge protection” or “power conditioning” is pretty much useless for our purposes.

TRIPPLITE is a very good brand, but you still need to go for the above specs. “Line interactive” is the applicable term:

https://www.tripplite.com/products/ups-battery-backup~11?2024=Line%2DInteractive

Dick Rees
    Participant
    Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

Yeah, I wouldn’t if it is the portable type that you use for easy power anywhere. Gas powered generators don’t give you true clean power. They are good for power tools, small appliances, and lighting, but I wouldn’t trust them on sensitive electronics. The big commercial type give you a lot more stable power, but unless it is utility power, I wouldn’t put faith in any generator when it comes to sensitive electronics. The Tripplite UPSs are definitely the way to go to clean up your power from any generator. Not to mention, Tripplite usually has a KILLER warranty if your electronics gets damaged behind their product. You do want to make sure you calculate your load and get the proper size though so you don’t overload and blow up the UPS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.