QU-16 with AR2412

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 with AR2412

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

If I’m using a QU-16 with an AR2412, can I freely assign my channels from a mixture of local and stage inputs, or do I need to use all local or all stage?
    – Dave

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

you can use any combination of local, D-Snake or USB inputs.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I have a Qu24 and an AR2412, but I don’t have a Qu16 so I can’t be positive of this next statement,…. but it may be possible that when you connect the AR2412 to your Qu16 you might have access to the three stereo returns as mic inputs with phantom power and a pad.

When I connect the AR2412 to my Qu24, the three stereo returns are not available on the 2412 inputs, however, when I connect an AR84 to the “Expander” port on the AR2412, the three stereo returns ARE available and then a phantom power switch and pad appear on those channels on the touch screen. It is nice to be able to connect two condenser mics (in stereo) and two stereo keyboards to the three stereo returns, this technically makes the Qu24,….. a 30 input console with 24 mono inputs and three stereo inputs.

It just might be that A&H designed the Qu16 to route the three stereo returns as mic inputs on (17-18), (19-20) and (20-21).
    That would be very nice.
    I am going to look at the manual now to see if it mentions anything about this.
    Dan

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

@dave.
    As dpdan said, you’re not forced to use all local or all stage, you can do a mixture of both. They’re not completely freely assignable though, in that the preamp#-channel# is fixed. Ch1 always has to be fed by preamp1, ch2 by preamp2, (whether preamp1 is in the back of the qu console or on the stage box is up to you.) What you can’t do is assign preamp1 to ch7, preamp2 to ch4, preamp12 to ch15&16, as you might if you wanted to run ch15 to monitors with certain processing and ch16 to FOH with different processing. To achieve this you’d need to use a y-split before the preamp, or a GLD/ilive.

@dpdan, page 14 of the manual says qu16 uses the AR2412’s preamps 17-22 for st1-3.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

dpdan: Yes it is routed like you explained! The 3 Stereo Inputs can be assigned through dSnake on Inputs 17-22 at the AR2412!

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Got that. A little loss of flexibility, but something that can be managed.

In addition, is it possible to have some channels play back from the Qu-Drive? For example… 4 channels local, 4 channel Qu-Drive and 4 channels from the 2412?

One other thing I’m not clear on… how do I set up the Qu-Drive for playback? I’d like to use it for backing tracks. Looking through the FAQs I didn’t see details about the required file structure and naming conventions. I saw information about the file format, but nothing else.

Thanks.
    – Dave

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

easiest way to find out the correct filename is by recording a few seconds trough qu-drive, load them into your audio-software and change the tracks that you want! Safe then the new tracks (i remember that i did read about that you must have the same amount of tracks, even if no audio is included) on your Harddisk. Choose in the Preamp section of that specific channel “USB” as source – that should work!

It is possible to playback tracks from Qu-drive while recieve audio trough dSnake and/or local inputs! (One channel can just be assigned to one source… but that’s something you should already know!)

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

P35 of the manual shows the folder structure for stereo playback from qu-drive for your backing tracks. P36 goes on to the structure for multitrack playback.

A couple of things to be aware of: while you can mix input sources from local preamps, remote preamps and USB playback, you can only have one usb global source; all your usb sources have to be coming from qu-drive or all from a computer, you can’t have some usb sources from qu-drive and others from a computer st the same time. Another thing is that you can’t playback from qu-drive and record to qu-drive simultaneously. To get around this, you can playback from qu-drive and multitrack record to a computer, or vice versa.

Profile photo of Ton
    Ton
    Participant

Dear all,

I am wondering if AR2412 could also output AES back from the mixer to drive the power amplifier. So i would only need to run one CAT5 cable from FOH to the back stage.

Cheers,

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

the console does provide AES output but the AR2412 does not.
    If you absolutely must have AES for your amp/s you will need to run it from the console.

Profile photo of Ton
    Ton
    Participant

So let me hear from you all, how would you typical utilize the AR2412? Remote mixing analog input and return the analog output back to the main stage for power amplifier?

Cheers,

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes

I guess if I wanted AES I’d run a second CAT5 & send it down that, but you can send it on almost any cable really. Some time ago, I seem to remember Canford Audio demonstrating AES down a bit of wet string!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Ton,
    I think I can speak for most people, the 2412 is usually located on or near the stage with the console in the audience.
    I have my 2412 sitting right next to my power amps so the outputs are right there. I use two sub snakes connected to the 2412 for the left and right sides of the stage (depending on the job), and one of the sub snakes has XLR outputs connected to the 2412 outs,… this is really convenient for powered monitors eliminating the need to run cables all the way over to the 2412.

At least that’s how I use it 🙂

Profile photo of Ton
    Ton
    Participant

Just a shame, that we couldn’t utilize AES to stay all audio quality in digital domain.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

you can,,, just run a single balanced XLR cable to your amp/s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.