Qu-16 w/ OBS – USB Audio Issues?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-16 w/ OBS – USB Audio Issues?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of djam djam 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bagels
    bagels
    Participant

Hi all,

FYI I tend to type a bit so feel free to skip down to a TLDR, thanks.

I’m new here and fairly new to the Qu, though I had a Zed prior so I’ve long liked AH products. Definitely has been a steep learning curve switching to such a far more capable digital mixer, but I’m getting the hang of it and able to fulfill a lot of functions that were difficult or impossible on the Zed.

One strange thing has popped up and I haven’t seen a solution through searching, though searches here did help me with my initial questions when it came to the USB stereo mixdown / main out (which shows as “Line (Qu-16)” under inputs to PC), as I originally didn’t quite get why I could multitrack in a DAW but not get a simple mix in Audacity.

So I learned to turn channel 1 and 2 under the USB send panel to LR L / LR R and I can record a stereo mixdown fine in audacity. I have to change this it I want to multitrack in Pro Tools or something but that’s fine.

Strangely, this doesn’t work for OBS Studio though. It recognizes the input – the Line (Qu-16) – but the signal is really weak. It’s only OBS as I can do the same in Audacity or a DAW (if I set it up to just record two, L/R tracks), and haven’t experienced the issue elsewhere.

I did have some of the USB noise issues like described in the pinned thread that’s a known issue, but switching to a real sturdy USB cable seemed to solve that for me. I’ve also hooked up to two desktops and a laptop. all PCs, so it doesn’t seem computer specific. I currently just have a Mogami XLR L/R to 1/8” TRS as a front line input to the PC for OBS, but it seems silly that I wouldn’t be able to use USB.

TL;DR::: With channels 1/2 on USB sends set to LR L and LR R, and mixing on the main LR mix, I get an extremely weak / almost inaudible (or completely inaudible) signal on my USB mixdown line in while using OBS Studio. The USB line itself is fine as I can stereo mixdown record in Audacity or a DAW or multitrack just fine, but OBS has issues. Currently it’s forcing me to connect the main out to an 1/8” input, which isn’t ideal.

May be as simple as OBS looks for different channels, but I’ve been stumped, any help is much appreciated.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

The Qu is normalised to -18dBFS. The OBS metering is in dBFS, so -18 dB on that meter should correspond to 0 dB on your Qu.

DC

Profile photo of bagels
    bagels
    Participant

Thanks for the reply,

I didn’t realize that was why but I’d noticed the difference between the two, however I don’t think that’s the issue, since it works fine with the main output from the Qu (XLR L/R) going as a line in to the pc. Since that’s what USB 1/2 out is set to, it seems weird that they’d be at different levels, since both would be subject to an 18 dB gap. But only with USB set do I not really get a signal.

Since literally everything else works, I feel like it’s something about OBS, the Qu, and my PC if others don’t have the issue. I’ll try it out on a laptop when I get the chance and maybe try different USB out channels (maybe it’s looking for LR on a single channel?), I haven’t had much time of late and the line in is fine if non ideal. I’ll update if I have luck in case anyone later finds themselves with a similar issue.

Appreciate the help.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Was there an answer to this problem. I’m experiencing the same thing.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.