Qu-16 streaming, help needed

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-16 streaming, help needed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MartinW MartinW 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rob Millar
    Rob Millar
    Participant

I’ve read through heaps of forums and feel think I’ve tried just about every setting possible but still can’t get any sound to playback through my Qu 16. I originally tried getting playback with pro tools 10 with no luck (I have everything else working fine I think) so I decided to just just and get itunes or similar to play back using the qu 16. I just can’t seem to make it happen. Help me please. I have work to do and have already wasted most of the weekend stuffing around with settings.

Rob

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello Rob. I Take it you have installed the A&H App? Sorry I don’t know anything about Protools, however maybe if I show the Reaper settings?
    I just followed the A&H guide when connecting the desk to mac book. You have to install and configure the A&H App and run that “all the time you are using the desk”, and also set up the mac core audio (Audio Devices) so that it is assigned to play back through USB with out put in mac channels 21-22 being left and right. ( where it says configure speakers) This automatically returns to ST3 within the QU upper layer. Surely that would be the same for Protools?
    The QU has the same work flow in/out of the mac as my GSR24M.
    I firstly have to set up the faders in “add controller device” for the 2 banks of channels. There might be still one problem where you need to assign in the matrix of your software where the audio returns? Remember you need to assign the inputs on the QU to USB-B Streaming otherwise you will get nothing playing back.
    I found 2 ways of streaming back into the desk. Either per channel using the desk as a DAW [custom layer mode](when the master return into ST3 is ticked up the top in the attached Pic) OR in the “lower LAYER mode) with the master return UNTICKED. and remember to assign the custom layer to “midi” ion the setups control tab on QU
    Its good writing this stuff out as helps me remember [being an older dude]

cheers
    davyd

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Rob. Attached is a Jpeg of what the A&H App set up on my Macbook looks like.

Profile photo of Rob Millar
    Rob Millar
    Participant

Thanks Bro I will give it another go tonight.

I have installed the A&H app and followed the instructions on the Allen & Heath website. I have followed everything else too and have it all the same. There are a few additional settings inside Pro Tools that may be the issue I’m thinking, although as mentioned I still can’t play back through itunes either. Will play around and maybe take some screen shots if I’m still stuck.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

To clarify, there is no need to install the A&H DAW Control app for USB streaming applications. Qu-16 and Qu-24 are Core Audio compliant on Mac OS X and will appear as an audio and MIDI device without any driver installation. Just plug ‘n play.

The DAW Control app is for, well, DAW control only. That is if you want to control track levels, mutes etc. from the desk MIDI strips.

Rob, when you play stereo files with iTunes, check the settings in Utility / Audio & MIDI as dhak suggested. Select the Qu device and click on ‘Configure speakers’. Set the speakers to the required USB output, for example 21-22 to stream to Qu-16 ST3. On the mixer use the Preamp screen Fn key Source page to patch USB B to ST3. Make sure you have set ‘USB B Streaming’ as the global USB source.

When you have this working, try with Pro Tools. Set the Qu mixer as the Current Engine in Pro Tools Setup / Playback Engine. Make sure your Pro Tools session is running at 48kHz sample rate. Click ‘Setup/I/O…’ and click the ‘Default’ button on the Input, Output and Bus tabs to set everything to the default names and paths in Pro Tools. Remember that audio is returned one-to-one to the input channels. Select track 1, click its ‘Output’ drop down menu under the I/O label in the mixer view, then select Mono output 1. This will feed the Qu-16 Mono ch 1. Use the Preamp screen Source page again to patch USB B to the channel. Repeat for all other tracks.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Nicola – that advice just sorted my problem. I had been trying to play back audio from my daw but couldn’t make it work.

“Set USB streaming as the global source” was the answer.

Sometimes find options are a bit buried and hard to find!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.