QU-16 Simultaneous playback while USB streaming into DAW

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 Simultaneous playback while USB streaming into DAW

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rocker rocker 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

Hi all,

Novice here 🙂

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to record multitracks into Protools, then playback those tracks simultaneously while recording extra tracks into same project? If so what settings do I use?

I have been able to record into protools alright and playback those tracks through the QU-16 using usb-b streaming in source menu, but when I arm another track to record, I am unable to playback those tracks already recorded to play along to to record new track…if that makes sense.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That is not supported, unfortunately, as stated in https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/273/qu-drive–understanding-qu-drive-and-usb

“QU-DRIVE MODES

Stereo Playback + Stereo Record simultaneously, not supported
    Stereo Playback + Multitrack Playback simultaneously, not supported
    Stereo Playback + Multitrack Record simultaneously, not supported
    Stereo Record + Multitrack Playback simultaneously, not supported
    Stereo Record + Multitrack Record simultaneously, not supported
    Multitrack Record + Multitrack Playback simultaneously, not supported”

But here is a feature request for that: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/multitrack-record-multitrack-playback-simultaneously

Vote for it, maybe they find the resources to implement that feature.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think everyone needs to get over the fact that the QU is NOT a DAW. Period..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And what if they implement this function? Then you would need to get over the fact that it CAN be used as a DAW? Period?

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

thanks GuitarHero, I thought that was referring to the USB hardrive recording not the usb-b streaming….dang.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well, to be more precise, I’m just assuming that it’s the same for the unit to playback/record from/to a harddrive or to stream through usb-b. But the behaviour you described is the same as when using a hard drive. I guess that part of the software is common for qu-drive and for streaming.

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

I have been using external hard drive for a dumping ground as such, then exporting to to pc for mixing etc. Then I tried usb-b streaming and recorded fine into protools, but yeah the playback/record while laying another track didn’t work. I selected usb-b streaming in source menu (all) and it played back through desk brilliantly. But looks like a few mods to be upgraded by A&H and it will be awesome.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Buy a GS series or vintage console and run PT on a laptop or tower if you want to operate like a studio. I have done that for years.

That was my point. I just really don’t think the QU should be used for more than it’s mission…Period 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I understand. The Qu-Drive and four EQ bands are the only thing that made me get a Qu instead of a SiEx1, which has a better usability, if you ask me. But it’s so convenient to be able to record everything and hear it processed during recording. It think it would be a really useful feature to be able to Multitrack Record + Multitrack Playback simultaneously.
    For example, a band I play with was doing some demos for it’s website, nothing studio like, but they wanted to re-record one lead vocalist after recording 17 channels with the Qu-16. Not possible. Yes, it’s not the mission of the unit, you say. But it would be really useful to have. The only way to re-record one channel would have been: bring a laptop and an interface, copy everything to the laptop, remake the whole mix with protools (…), re-record one channel using headphones, copy everything back to the Qu-16 so everybody can hear the result. That is a lot more work than would be needed if the Qu16 would be able to do just one more thing.

You state it shouldn’t be used for more than it’s mission. I think it’s mission depends a lot on what is implemented in the software. A digital unit like this is really nothing more or less than a laptop with a 18 channel interface running software, with a hardware controller. So, it’s mostly the software what renders it’s mission, I think.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I have not yet used streaming record to PT but a possible workaround would be to send the analog out from your DAW tracks to a stereo input channel, and record on more tracks. I am sure you would encounter some latency that way, but it could be shifted in the DAW after recording. If anyone tries this, let us know how it works!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

There are always hardware limitations in any device like this even though it is primarily software controlled..

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

thanks GuitarHero, I thought that was referring to the USB hardrive recording not the usb-b streaming

To clarify, the limitations stated above apply to Qu-Drive only. USB B is a 24×22 full-duplex interface, that is, you can record and playback as many channels as you want at the same time.

A couple of examples:
    – Adding vocals to backing tracks: record drums, bass and gtr into PT, then play back these tracks to Qu-16 whilst recording the vocals (on separate channels) in PT.
    – Adding Qu-16 FX to a PT session: play back your tracks on all channels (1-16 and ST1-3) whilst recording FX returns 1-4 in PT.
    – Mixdown on Qu-16: play back your tracks on all channels (1-16 and ST1-3) and mix whilst recording the main LR in PT.

If you are having trouble with this please check your routing settings in PT.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Wow, Thanks Nicola! Full duplex is a good thing, thanks to A&H for thinking that far into it. Now I need to do some experiments – and I assume that when used this way we don’t need to rename the tracks like on Q-drive. Great!
    Lou

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh… I’m sorry that I was assuming something wrong and spreading here wrong things 🙁
    And I’m happy to hear your clarification, Nicola! Thank you very much!
    Now I even more need the USB B streaming for Windows 🙂
    Thanks to A&H for the full-duplex, that’s really very nice!

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

Awesome, thanks Nicola, I will have to play with the settings in PT’s, I must have got close before.
    Ha yes GuitarHero for windows would be good 🙂
    GCumbee QU-16 is a DAW PERIOD!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.