QU-16 on the road-other FOH board, etc

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 on the road-other FOH board, etc

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mbirame Mbirame 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Yeah, I looked at the manual and I don’t find the short descriptions very understandable:
    Output patch (Sockets, Qu-Drive)
    -what is a socket? Is that the XLR outputs do is THAT the routing?

Or:
    Mix sends (Lev/Pan/Assign/Pre)
    -in this case it seems like this means any level changes from scene to scene will not register.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

exactly.
    Patching is described in chapter 11.15 on page 72 (and following). Its named patching because this was done in analogue days via patch bays (sockets and cables).
    Blocking Mix Sends will freeze (for scene changes) the assignment (=routing) from input channels to mixes (including volume and pan).

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Using Safes->All is the answer.

Since a clear walkthrough hasn’t been posted to resolve this issue, I’ll post it here in case someone comes along in the future needing to do this. Here are the steps I take:

As Andreas mentioned, first I created a scene with the routing that I need when there is a FOH and saved it as “FOH”. I created another scene with the routing I need for no FOH and called it “no FOH”.

So here’s the steps:
    1) turn on the mixer. push “sel” button for channel one so you can view your current routing.
    2) push “routing” button so you can view the current routing. This just lets ye see if what you are trying to do is working.
    3) push “scenes” button.
    4) choose FOH or no FOH depending on your needs. load it up.
    5) Push “routing” button and you should see the different routing that you are needing.
    6) Push “scenes” button then “Safes->All” This will now mean that all the other scenes you select will be able to override the current routing.
    7) You can check this by selecting a scene that would normally have a different routing and then pusy “routing” button to check.

I hope this helps someone someday. It helped me!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess its Safes->Mix->All, otherwise a scene recall does effectively nothing (since all is safed).
    Nice this works, you’re probably the first one effectively using this.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

I’ve got a customer right now with the same question… Still see a problem due the “volumes” change also with the “assignment” in a scene!

And just to clearify.. You need to set in both scenes (foh and no foh) all filters on “block” except the “routing – mix sends”! Because the only thing you want to recall is the “assign” settings! Right!?

Only solution in my opinion is to use a DCA Fader and set them to zero!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You may use for the same purpose:
    – Scene Filters (need to update each scene!!!)
    – Scene Safes
    – Global Filters
    Which one to use totally depends on your habits to use scenes and what you intend to do with “scene” recalls. Most people probably use scenes to change “some adjustments” between songs during a concert.
    I am personally using scenes to change the setup of the whole mixer from concert to concert (preparing channels before a show etc.). In this context the naming “scene” is somewhat misleading… 😉

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Thanks Andreas for your answer but actualy it’s clear what I need:
    2 scenes!

Scene 1: “FoH ON – scene”
    All Inputs are assigned to the Main LR Mix (all parameters should be blocked out of recalling except the “assign routing” from all the Inputs to the Main LR)

Scene 2: “FoH off – scene”
    In the concert breaks I want to load scene 2 to “unassign”
    all input-channels except the ST1 (st1 = background music) from the Main LR but still run instruments through InEar Monitors!

As far as I see there’s no individual filter for “assign” only! It’s connected with fader-level and during a gig these settings might need to get changed! (I would say the “routing mix sends” is the filter that includes assignments!?)

Solution would be using a DCA where all Channels except ST1 is assignes and turn it down in between the sets.. But I would rather safe my customlayer-faders for live adjustments!

In a further software update you could add a special mute setting that allows you to mute channels just on the Main LR but not on monitors… I would say loads of people would love to use this feature!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

ok, understood. Indeed, muting channels from FOH but not from monitors would sometimes be fine. On non-Qu16 using a Group should do as well, but DCA is probably the simplest solution for this.
    Just realized that the DCA fader controls Channel->LR volume only (if mixes are pre-fader, of course), but muting a DCA does mute a channel on any destination (like regular mute).

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

I wanted to repost as I found that my posted solution didn’t exactly meet our needs. With the solution I posted, the mix settings for the monitor mixes were not changing per scene.

So in order for this to work (for my needs), in step #6 above instead of “Safes->All” I needed to do “Safes->LR”.

Basically, I have all of our “FOH” mix outputs going all the time-whether I am in “No FOH” or “FOH” mode except in “NO FOH” mode all those channels are going both to their dedicated mix outputs AS WELL AS the LR. But then when I am in “FOH” mode, I am muting the “LR” output of the channels that will now only be going to their respective mix outputs.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.