QU-16 on the road-other FOH board, etc

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 on the road-other FOH board, etc

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mbirame Mbirame 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Hi folks,
    For most shows we are using our QU-16 as both main and monitor board. We are running four IEMs (Mix 1, 2, 3, 7/8).

When there is a separate FOH we are sending channels to : Mix 4 (VOX), 5/6 (stereo synths), 9/10 (stereo synths), L/R (Drums) to the FOH.

When there is no separate FOH, all those above channels are just going to L/R.

Right now I have both of the above situations saves as two separate “shows” on a thumb drive. That works well enough, but we are often tweaking little things in one show and then we have to remember to do the same changes in the other show.

I really want to figure out how to do all of the above with just one show and make some routing changes to the show depending on the situation.

So I’m thinking there must be a way to have this all just be one show and have everything routed as if there is a FOH and then when there is not a FOH, just have Mix 4, 5/6, and 9/10 route to the L/R.

Is this possible? In other words, is there a way to save ONLY the routing changes to a thumb drive? I hope my long post makes sense….

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Well, you can set filters and just recall the patching/routing for a given scene.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

We have each song saved as a separate scene. So is there a way to override routing for each scene (song) all at once?

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

…or in other words, is there a way to save a “show” that only changes the routing and does not change any of the other parameters of the scenes, etc? Then we could have two “shows” on the thumb drive….

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

As Bob said, there are several global filters and per-scene safes which should be able to do that job.
    I’d try to make two scenes which only switch routing as required. Afterwards activate the global filter for routing, so recalling one of your existing scenes can not change the routing.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

You’re not hearing this important fact:

We have each song saved as a separate scene.

So the “show” has 13 scenes in it.

If I am understanding the given solution correctly, then I would need to still have 13 different scenes with the different routing that I would have to call up during the show.

If that is the case, that can’t work for us as we have the scenes being triggered via midi.

So what I need to be able to do is change the routing without having that be tied to one “scene”.

Now, I may be totally misunderstanding and in fact that is probably likely. If so, my apologies and could you please explain it a little more so I can make this work. Thank you!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yes, you do have individual scenes for each song. I just assume, that they do not differ in terms of routing but only in levels FX etc.
    So just set a global filter for the routing (or safes for Mix4/5/6/9/10/LR), so your FOH-Routing is not affected from scene recalls.

Then you create two additional scenes which only switch between “FOH”- and “non-FOH”-Mode, as required and described in your first post.

Before a show, you release the filter (global or safes), recall one of the two “FOH”-scenes and engage the filter again.

Now you can use one set of scenes for both type of shows, since they do no longer affect your routing.

Instead of Scene Safes or the Global Filter you also can rework the existing scenes with individual filters, but that’s more work.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Excellent. It sounds like you are describing exactly what I need to do. I am still really new to our QU-16, so I don’t really understand exactly what you are saying, but let me see if I understand the concept at least of what you are saying:

1) Change the global settings so that loading new scenes does not affect routing.
    2) Create and save two new scenes: One with the FOH routing and one without FOH routing
    3) At a show-turn OFF the settings that I had changed in step one so that loading a new scene DOES change the routing.
    4) Load one of the two new scenes that loads the routing that I want.
    5) Again turn OFF the global setting to change routings with new scenes.
    6) do the show with the song scenes and now the routing will be correct.

Is this what you are saying?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That’s exactly the idea, so you obviously understood very well.
    Maybe its wise to review and understand all the various option on these filter and safe screens and whats exactly part of a scene (Chapter 10.10 in The Manual).

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Thanks again Andreas! I will definitly be going back to the manual time and time again! Just getting simple things like fx on the vocals still trips me up sometimes on this board-but I’m getting it! it’s really an amazing piece of equipment (coming from only really using analog boards).

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

So I am here at the board trying to do this, and I have created the two scenes with the different routing for FOH and no FOH.

I’m confused about which global setting do I need to turn off to disable routing changes?

Is it Global Filter -> Output Patch? or is it Global Filter -> Mix Sends?

Thank you.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If this isn’t clear, you really should get into more touch with the Qu. The box titled “Filter Parameters” on page 60 in The Manual defines pretty well which button controls what function.

Output patch controls which sources are routed to the various putputs, like dSnake or QuDrive assignments. This is probably nothing what you want to change with a scene change during a concert. On my desk this is always blocked.

Not sure if you like to switch preamps, input patch, group mode or names with your “concert” scenes. I have these blocked as well.

Not sure if you want to switch ouput processing inside your mixes and LR with those scenes. I’d probably set these to blocked as well.

To block the mix assignment, Routing->Mix Sends should be set to blocked. And I really hope this controls assignability for LR as well.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

LR is a mix, so I would assume it does…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

In Out->Processing Mix and LR have separate buttons, so this needs to be verified.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm, I need to check for this weekend. Don’t want to start breaking things…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.