Qu-16 : NOISE using mix as send/return for external effects

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-16 : NOISE using mix as send/return for external effects

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cisa
    cisa
    Participant

I have a problem with my QU-16:

I use OUT MIX 5-6 for using external effects ( Strymon BigSky reverb) as inserts or send/return for my synths.

The routing is:

QU-16 (OUT MIX 5-6) -> (INPUTS L-R) Strymon BigSky (OUTPUT L-R) -> (INPUT 5-6) QU-16.

In QU-16 monitor I see (and hear from main mix and other mixes) that there is some noise continuous (like white noise, I am not an expert in mixers). I can “silence” the noise using the QU-16 GATE, but the problem is that everytime I play a note with my synths the noise is still here (until the gate cut off the sound).

If I connect only:
    SYNTH (OUT L R) -> (INPUTS L-R) Strymon BigSky (OUTPUT L-R) -> (INPUT 5-6) QU-16 (so, without using Qu-16 as insert/send return), the noise disappear.

I also tried to change BIG Sky with a DBX266XS compressor connected in same way and same thing:
    if the routing is

QU-16 (OUT MIX 5-6) -> (INPUTS L-R) Compressor (OUTPUT L-R) -> (INPUT 5-6) QU-16. the noise is here

if the routing is

SYNTH (OUT L R) -> (INPUTS L-R) Compressor (OUTPUT L-R) -> (INPUT 5-6) QU-16. the noise disappear

What can it be?

Thanks in advance to everyone for help….
    Cesare

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess your Mix output carries the noise from some other input (maybe the test-tone generator?) and noise goes away when lowering the Mix5/6 master fader, right? I’d start checking that the return from your Fx is not fed back into the mix…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Does the Strymon BigSky have balanced inputs & outputs? Given that their website does not seem to mention this, I’m guessing they’re unbalanced.

What is your cabling to convert from/to the desk’s balanced outputs/inputs? I suspect that something that gives an earth lift in at least one part of the signal path would sort this out.

Can you try a DI box (or two) between the BigSky output and the desk?

Profile photo of cisa
    cisa
    Participant

I’ll check tonight, one question: where I have to go to turn-off the test-tone generator? if it’s the one where you can select white noise/pink noise/square… and below there is a volume in DB, I already tried to turn it off (not red light) and set db to -infinite, but the noise is still here.

I have MIX 5-6 OUT fader volume to 0 DB (tonight I’ll try to lower it and see if noise reduces)

I have only input channel 1-2 with some volume fader (the channel where I connect OUT LR of my Synth)
    All the inputs (1-16, st1, st2) in mix 5-6 are at -infinite, all channels are assigned. (tonight I’ll check if there is noise even with all faders channels to -infinite).

Thanks in advance.
    Cesare

Profile photo of cisa
    cisa
    Participant

Strymon big sky outputs are not balanced (I assume, in manual it’s not specified).

I connect QU-16 (OUT MIX 5-6) -> 3mt cable XLR FEMALE to TRS male (unbalanced) (INPUTS L-R) Strymon BigSky (OUTPUT L-R) -> 3m cable trs male to trs male unbalanced (INPUT 5-6) QU-16. -> tonight I’ll try with balanced ones or using a stereo DI box.

But If I connect Elektron Analog 4 (my synth) (OUT LR) -> cable trs male to trs male (INPUTS L-R) Strymon BigSky (OUTPUT L-R) -> 3m cable trs male to trs male unbalanced (INPUT 5-6) QU-16 the noise disappear.

Same thing with my compressor DBX 266XS:
    QU-16 (OUT MIX 5-6) -> 1mt cable XLR FEMALE to TRS male (unbalanced) (INPUTS L-R) DBX 266XS (OUTPUT L-R) -> 1m cable trs male to XLR male (balanced) (INPUT 5-6) QU-16 -> NOISE

QU-16 (OUT MIX 5-6) -> 1mt cable XLR FEMALE to XLR male (INPUTS L-R) DBX 266XS (OUTPUT L-R) -> 1m cable trs male to XLR male (balanced) (INPUT 5-6) QU-16 -> NOISE

So it seems that the noise is generated by MIX OUT 5-6 I think the problem is not the cables (I tried many ones, same problems).

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’d second what Mark said and check the cabling. Particularly when going from balanced XLR to unbalanced TRS, that’s where a reverse DI comes into play. Without access to a reverse DI, check cabling for Pin 3 from the XLR. If that’s connected to ground, try to cut that wire.
    Dick Rees posted a nice link some time ago: https://www.rane.com/note110.html

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Slight correction, after reading The Manual, which states in Section 4.2:

Professional equipment provides ‘balanced’ connections for maximum interference rejection over long cable runs. If you are connecting to ‘unbalanced’ equipment then make sure the XLR pin 3 (signal cold) is linked to pin 1 (signal ground).

So: Do not cut Pin 3 wire but ensure this is connected to ground (probably servo driven output, so that unterminated end induces bad noise on the positive side).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I find that following Rane’s “Sound System Interconnection” guide, (as already linked to by Andreas c/o Dick Rees) provides trouble free results at least 99% of the time – been using it for many years. I have a printed copy on my workshop wall as reference for whenever I have to do something a little unusual.

https://www.rane.com/note110.html

From this I think you need cable #5 for the send {Desk —> FX unit}, and cable #14 for the return {FX unit —> Desk} leads. Time to get the soldering iron out I suspect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.