Qu-16 – MIDI NRPN control (Logic Pro X)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Qu-16 – MIDI NRPN control (Logic Pro X)

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of FedaRoots FedaRoots 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Hello

The available DAW control driver for MAC from A&H, controls only MUTE, SEL, SOLO, FADERS and BANK UP/DOWN (through softkeys).

On the midi manual of QU-16 says that are controllable a lot of functions throught NRPM. What exactly is that and how can i setup logic pro x to execute NRPM commands?

Thank you!!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Did you already check out one of the many other Logic+Qu threads around?

Logic & Qu Thread Hub
    To be fair: I never saw any answer to your question yet.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thanks Andreas for your response.

Unfortunatelly no answer to my question yet 😕

I have allready read all the above threats but no luck

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The DAW Control driver is designed to work with the MIDI Strips on the Custom Layer of the mixer. All other MIDI messages as described in the MIDI Protocol are linked to the DSP channels, and are meant primarily for third party control of the mixer, or Show control applications (Qlab and similar).

You might be able to assign NRPN controls to your DAW, but bear in mind they would affect parameters on the mixer at the same time.

First you need Logic to use the Qu MIDI port (over USB, or over network with the TCP MIDI driver) as opposed to (or in addition to) the DAW Control virtual ports. The next step is to try and get Logic to recognise (Learn) the controls. Read the Logic manual on MIDI learning. You might have to tweak the MIDI control settings in Logic to get it to work, for example the faders must be set to Unsigned, Multiply by 1.00, and Mode = Scaled.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thanks for your help Nicola!

My Qu-16 is connected to Mac via usb. So i use midi via usb and not tcp. I open controller assignments from logic menu and choose learn function but when i move for example the pan knob, or eq knobs, or hpf in/out, the mixer don’t send a midi signal to the mac in order to program other functions. In addition when i move for example faders or press mute/select/pafl buttons i saw the midi signal on the screen and i can assign all these buttons as i wish. The problem is with the rest knobs/buttons of the desk.

Thank you!

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Are you using the MIDI Strips on the Custom Layer? These will only send / respond to fader level and Mute/Sel/PAFL.
    As stated above, all other MIDI messages described in the MIDI Protocol are related to the Qu Input and Mix channels, nothing to do with the MIDI Strips.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Yes i’m using the midi strips in the custom layer.

So there is not a way to “learn” in logic the pan knob (of qu) for example, to be assigned to the pan (of logic)?

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Not with the MIDI Strips. The MIDI Strips don’t make use of any knob / switch other than the ones on the fader strips.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Sorry but i am confused. Is there finally a way to assign knobs of qu-16 with logic??

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Ok so any Input Channel / Mix control for PAN, EQ etc. will send a MIDI message as documented in the Qu MIDI Protocol. This MIDI message can theoretically be assigned to any parameter in your DAW, provided the DAW can interpret the message. It’s a manual process and requires some understanding of MIDI. It’s not really what the MIDI Protocol was designed for. Some DAWs might not recognize NRPN altogether so you might need a MIDI translator software in between.

The MIDI Strips are a different story. They are independent from any Input / Mix as they were designed from the ground up for DAW control applications. But they are limited in terms of controls, as clarified in previous posts.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thank you Nicola,

Ok i understand what the midi strip is, and works fine with A&H drivers for mac.

My concern is how can i assign, pan/eq controls etc. from my qu to logic parameters. For example i’m going to control surfaces-> controller assignments or window->open midi environment or somewhere else? I understand the philosophy but i don’t know the way to do that.

Thanks for your help!!

Profile photo of FedaRoots
    FedaRoots
    Participant

HI DMarin, did you find a way to control DAW’s pan over QU Console?
    It’s crazy nobody has find a way to do it already 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.