Qu-16 Live Multi Track Recording Issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-16 Live Multi Track Recording Issue

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Finck
    Finck
    Participant

Recently I recorded a live show with my Qu-16 to a WD Elements portable hard. When I play back the show on my Qu-16 everything sounds fine. But when I transfer the hard drive tracks to my mac/digital performer I hear intermittent dropouts and clicks. Should I assume that the actual recording on the hard drive is fine and that my problem is in the transfer to my mac/digital performer?
    I would appreciate your replies.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is digital performer happy with the had speed in the Mac? With 48kHz files?

If it plays back ok on the desk, and if the dropouts/clicks are not absolutely consistent then the files are ok

Profile photo of Finck
    Finck
    Participant

Your right,,, I need to double check to see whether I selected 48KHz 24bit on DP or not.
    And the audio dropouts and clicks were not consistent upon playback on the mac/digital performer, but rather at random intervals of 10-20 seconds.
    It will be next week before I get a chance to work on this again but I will let you know if what I discover.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If it’s random then my guess is that the files are OK.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Finck,
    I too have DP8.07 and a Qu24. I have done a number of live recordings directly to a USB hard drive and DP refuses to take the files. I drag them into a newly created 48K/24 bit project and dragging just doesn’t work, also using the “import audio files” from the soundbites window doesn’t work either. I am curious how you got your files into DP at all.
    The only thing I was able to do was to import them into iTunes and create MP3 files @ 320 kbps, them import those into DP.

The strange thing was that each mono audio files was 1152 kbps, I never saw that sample rate before.
    I am going to contact Dave Roberts at MOTU and see what he says.

Since this has been an aggravationg thing, I just gave up on the hard drive option and use my Macbook Pro with DP and record directly to it.

Anxious to hear your results.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

“1152 kbps” is not the samplingrate its the bitrate of the audio file. Since the Qu uses 24 Bits per sample, you’ll have to divide that number by 24, which results in 48… no real surprise… 😉
    If conversion indeed is required for DP, then I’d use a non-compressed format like AIFF for example. MP3 requires some performance for decoding, not an issue for single tracks, but decoding 16/24/32 MP3 files in parallel would consume a significant amount of available CPU resources.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.