Qu-16 help

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-16 help

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 41 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mr.tp
    mr.tp
    Participant

Have You seen the new droid based app for Qus?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=phone.TouchAndMix

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

I have question.

I will be using 2x passive satelites + 2x passive subwoofers, with 2 amps and no external crossover. How do I split signal with Qu-16 (Highpass / lowpass), and how would I make Mono out (for subwoofers) to be controlled with same master fader as LR?

Or what other options are there with this setup?

Thanks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Unfortunately, the simple answer is that you can’t do either or these things. As far as As far as I know, none of the lower cost digital desks have crossover functions yet, though I’m sure that is a feature that will be included in the future.

It is tending to become a built in feature in some amps these days, and does not seem to add an enormous amount to their cost.

As I assume you will already have amps though, I would look for a simple crossover or speaker management unit that performs both these tasks, and mount it with the amps. That means you can use your speaker system with other sources, not just your QU, which is bound to be useful at times.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Yesterday I worked with x32 and it has some really nice Routing options. High pass stereo out at 100 Hz, and Low pass Sub mono out at 100 Hz (using Matrix) and route them to the same LR fader – not same as crossover, but useful. Can we expect High/Low pass on mixes in future on Qu-16?:)

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You’ve said it: That’s not a crossover. You likely won’t get a flat system response with such a setup and I expect some phase issues as well. There’s another thread on this with various plots showing the issues.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve done it with other systems, it’s not recommended.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Yup. Basically going to mess up your sound. Get a real cross-over. Even an inexpensive used analog unit for $25.00 is going to be better than the HPF/LPF found in your “all-in-one” digital mixers.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Thank you for help!

I know some guys doing things like that with X32. I guess they are wrong. Thankfully I have found Behringer crossover in garage, it should do the job.

One more question. I have bass guitar and it is used for 2 different types of music in one night. Is it possible to plug it in channel 1, but have processing on ch 1 AND 2, so I can have different processing for the same instrument, to use it separately? Or just get a splitter cable?

Dick Rees
    Participant

They are not wrong because they are not using HPF/LPF: they are using the buit-in crossover function which allows the user to choose any of the 3common filter types and up to a 24dB/octave slope. Qu does not offer this.

And yes, go with a hard-wired XLR split to feed the bass to two channels for separate processing. Or set up the two and save them both as user pre-sets. That way you don’t burn a channel and can still switch between the two settings with a button push or two.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you have a stagebox then the bass can be patched to two channels, or you could use scenes to change he settings…

Dick Rees
    Participant

+1 on the stagebox, but I wouldn’t do a scene change for one instrument. Too much chance of changing more than you want and a bit more work to set up than an A/B pair of presets. K.I.S.S.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…there are still user libraries which may recall a whole channel setup with few button presses. So if there is some time to switch sounds, that may work (still using a single channel).

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.