Qu-16 help

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-16 help

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 41 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

I am soon buying my Qu-16 console, but before that I have some questions, that I want answers before buying it.

1. In the manual it says: Minimum rack space required is 11 U. I will have my console inside rack, with amplifier (2U), headphone amplifier (1U) and maybe some wirelles system / cd/mp3 player (1U). So I need max 6 U rack (bigger racks than 6U would be too big and unpractical for me). So what is this 11 U about? Why would it need so much space in rack, just for mixer? Or maybe is it something else?

2. We are band playing and doing sound from the stage – console on stage. Between 2 songs I would have to mute effects, when singer speaks. How can I do that with Qu-16? I saw questions on forum about this, but no answers. Can I do it with Ipad (then I would place it on singer’s stand)? Or maybe can I somehow do it with my volume pedal?

3. I really want to have ability to mix with Ipad and walk in front of speakers. Is this available with new versions 1.3 yet? Do I need simple router, plug it in Ethernet, and I have access to mixer?

4. We have 4 in-ear monitor headphones, we power them with 4-channel headphone amp. We like to have exact same sound in headphones as we have on LR main mix. Do I connect mixer and amp just through Phones on top of desk? Or can I just copy setting of faders on LR, to stereo output and then to headphone amp? In that case I can even make small corrections of what I hear in IEM.

Thank you for your answers! I hope I will get to understand those things, so buy one Qu-16 as soon as possible 🙂

Greetings!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi knga

1. 11U is the front to back length of the console’s surface – remember you need more space if you want to leave things plugged in, which I assume you do. If you were to mount it in a flat topped rack, the back panel would go about 4U below the top.

2. Yes you can mute things with the iPad.

3. Yes (I don’t think 1.3’s available yet, but it already does this in 1.2)

4. I’d use ALT OUT for an exact copy of the mix, or (better IMO) do as you suggest with a stereo Aux, possibly set as post fade.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

Is there any particular router I should buy, to use it for Ipad control? Or is any ok?

Thanks!

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi,

At the moment I use my ipad to mute the FX, but our technical man will soon be building me a bespoke pedal that will send a midi string (code) via the ethernet port on the rear to mute the FX, similar to the desks of old. I have already had one or two members of this group contacting me about the price etc. Once this pedal has been made which should be soon I will let all those interested know.

I am currently using a Virgin Super Hub router which are made by Netgear, it can be set to either 2.4 or 5ghz bandwith, I have it set to the latter as it is less congested. So far so good and it only cost me ÂŁ20.00 brand-new. You can buy the Super Hub 2 now which switches automatically between the two bandwiths and has a better range, I think.

Cheers
    Lee

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello! I am definitely interested in that, I need to mute FX with a simple click on a button, because I am musician, who is on the stage.

Thanks!

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

If I was on stage, this is what I would do.
    When using the Qu-Pad, you can create a custom view. You simply drag and drop the channels that you need into position. They don’t have to be in any particular order. Set up a custom view that has the channel strips you will need to access most often and include the FX send or return. Simply press the button on the strip to mute the effect.

If you don’t have one, you might consider buying a clamp that would allow you to clamp the iPad to your mic stand.

P.S. I use an Apple Airport Extreme Router. It has dual bands (2.4 gHz and 5 gHz) so it is less prone to interference. One other thing I always do, no matter what router I use, is to hide it from public view by disabling SSID Broadcast. Otherwise other wireless devices (everyone’s phone in the venue) will query it.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

At the moment I too mute the FX via my iPad that is clamped to my mic stand, but it is far from ideal and does not better the traditional footswitch. Some of our songs start acapello without FX, so this makes unmuting the FX and then jumping straight back to my bass virtually impossible, so for the moment the vocal FX have to be in full use in all acapello parts. Just one reason I am having a bespoke footswitch made.

🙂

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

I recently bought Qu-16, I love it so far! I have one question: is it somehow possible to copy position of faders on LR, to my mix 5-6 for example. I use in-ear monitor, so I want the same sound going out, in my phones. I know that it is the easiest with Alt out, but what if I want also same in my normal monitor, how can I do that?

Thank you!

Profile photo of Brookey
    Brookey
    Participant

Hi knga.
    Congratulations on getting your QU-16 – I love mine! The manual suggests you can copy send levels between mixes (p31 – current version AP9372 iss.2), but you can’t. However, it’s very quick to toggle between mixes and set the faders so they match.
    I mix from stage and have separate mixes for FOH, floor monitors, 2 x IEMs and drum fill. For my IEMs I use the Alt Out sends and have configured that in the routing screen to follow PAFL. So I can listen to any mix (usually FOH) just by hitting the PAFL button for that mix.
    You asked about muting previously – I use the soft keys and have assigned Key 1 to all input channels except the one I use for background music between sets. Key 2 is reverb. Key 3 is delay. Key 4 is tap tempo for delay.
    I have an iPad mounted to my mic stand and thought I would use it, but it’s much easier to use the desk which is within arms reach. That said, the iPad is brilliant for doing a sound check. And I use an Apple Airplay router which has a stereo 3.5mm jack so I play background music wirelessly from the iPad.
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Profile photo of Jline
    Jline
    Participant

is it somehow possible to copy position of faders on LR, to my mix 5-6 for example.

Hi knga,

Try this, press the Mix 5/6 button and set all channels going to Mix 5/6 to post fader. Then set all of the faders for the Mix 5/6 to 0dB….any change you make to the main FOH LR mix will be mirrored with the exception of the master LR fader. You can use the Mix 5/6 fader as your “master fader” for your IEM. Hope this helps. Jeff

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Try this, press the Mix 5/6 button and set all channels going to Mix 5/6 to post fader. Then set all of the faders for the Mix 5/6 to 0dB….any change you make to the main FOH LR mix will be mirrored with the exception of the master LR fader. You can use the Mix 5/6 fader as your “master fader” for your IEM. Hope this helps. Jeff

This seems to be the most efficient way to do this. Any changes to the mix for FoH will be mirrored in the Mix 5/6. Personally I run 2 x mono mixes on 3 and 4. Mix 3(pre) is just the mix I need at the drum position, (goes to my left in ear), and mix 4(post) is the mirrored foh mix (goes to right in ear). I do it this way as I don’t like much in my ears whilst playing, but I can still check the mix as the night goes on.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Yesterday I used my new Qu-16 for the first time in live music. It’s great, nice and warm sound, same for effects!:) I have a question: why is it recommended to use USB hard drive for recording, what’s wrong with USB stick? I tried, it worked good, nice record. What is it with a USB stick?

Greetings

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hy! I have a new question:)

With analog console I used to feed main speakers through L and R output, and subwoofer with MONO output (subwoofer cut with crossover). With Qu-16 I’m not sure how to do that. I use 2 speaker amps, one for L and R speaker, and one for subwoofer. Do I have to feed subwoofer through mono mix, and send in subwoofer just instruments I want? Or what would you recommend?

Thank you!

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Cleaner way to do it would be use one of the Mix Outs. Generally speaking, not a huge amount of info is sent to the sub, so sending bass, kick, maybe even floor tom and keys to the sub using a Mix Out would be a way to do it. You could low pass everything sent to that Mix Out too.

Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

You could assign your subwoofer to aux-dedicate one mono mix to it, if you can spare one. This approach has the advantage of being able to control the amount of signal being sent to the sub with a fader, per channel, it gives you great control.Just lo-pass the mix send. You also have the delay in the mix master, so you can align the sub with the mains. If you cannot spare a mix, get a separate crossover, and send from L/R.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.