QU-16 Gain Staging

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 Gain Staging

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alrod Alrod 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d be interested to steal^H see some of the presets you guys have come up with 😉

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It’s all opinion. I always altered factory settings in Lexicons and others. I never found a preset in the 480L I didn’t change some. I owned a few real plates so I knew how they needed to sound. Again, line up 10 people and you’ll get that many different settings.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

@ Dick Rees,
    Hi Rick glad to see you haven’t lost your charm (lol). A couple of things in reply to your comment. A&H does listen to its customers. I think their updates prove that. They did not for example have to include the new Automatic Microphone Mixer (AMM). Hardware versions of AAM’s are not exactly cheap. A&H added this at no additional cost to us. I can’t help but think this was at least in part due to requests made from current users. So you see, it is not unreasonable to think A&H would listen to us about effects updates. That being said, I would be willing to pay for effects updates/add-ons that were on par with say Lexicon PCM Native Reverb or Relabs XL480 plugins. At any rate, it is ideas (which is what I guess you are referring to as “b****ing”), that help drive improvements. A&H seem to be willing to step up to the plate in that regard.

Also, you need to give users more credit. I have been running a DAW based studio for over 15 years. I know a thing or two about editing plugins. I rarely if ever use presets. I have spent a quite a bit of time editing QU’s built-in reverbs. They cannot be edited to match my Lexicon PCM 90. Totally different algorithms are at play. I used to own a TC2000 years ago, and I question your ability to get the QU reverbs close that unit. As with the PCM 90 comparison, the QU reverb tails need improvement as do the depth and width parameters. Perhaps our definition of “close” differs. I would love for you to post your reverb settings so that I can take a listen for myself.

Finally, don’t confuse my thoughts and opinions with “complaining”. This is an open forum for exchanging ideas. I will always use it as such regardless of negative criticism. This is how people grow in knowledge. Why would anyone want to suppress that?

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

@gcumbee,

For the record, I am not saying that the QU onboard effects are horrible. They are usable. If they were the only effects I was ever exposed to, I would probably be ok with them. My ears have however been exposed to “better”, and so I have that certain level of expectation. I used to be anti-plugin, but there has been a lot of improvement in that area. In fact, the reason I use my Lexicon PCM 90 with my QU-16 is because I no longer need it as part of my DAW. I replaced it on my DAW with plugins.

Based on how relatively inexpensive plugins are today, I don’t subscribe to the notion that it is impossible to get that level of quality in the price range of the QU series.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

@[XAP]Bob,

In regard to your comment “I’d be interested to steal^H see some of the presets you guys have come up with 😉”

I am going to have to call BS on this. To the folks saying that the QU onboard effects can be edited to get “close” to high-end outboard gear I say put up or shut up. There is a section on this forum to post presets, so let’s see them please.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

It’s all opinion. I always altered factory settings in Lexicons and others. I never found a preset in the 480L I didn’t change some. I owned a few real plates so I knew how they needed to sound. Again, line up 10 people and you’ll get that many different settings.

I think this is an entirely different topic. Most presets on any gear are typically exaggerated. That being the case, I imagine most people will do their own tweaking. This discussion isn’t so much about presets as it is about the core algorithms. I am sure you will agree that not all reverbs are built alike.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.