QU-16 from "The Master Strip"

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 from "The Master Strip"

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LDY LDY 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

Our QU-16 was installed a few years ago. We are a very traditional church, no bands maybe just a string quartet every few months. I know this topic may have been addressed many times; setting up a “Mix” on the “The Master Strip”. Initially the QU-16 was set up with the first 3 Mixes being used. Mix 1 feeds an amplifier for the balcony speakers, Mix 2 feeds a amplifier to a speaker for the left side of the choir loft and Mix 3 feeds an amplifier to a speaker for the right side of the choir loft. None of the analog outputs for the mixes are used. I want to set up Mix4 (none of the FX send or the Stereo Mix5&6, Mix7&8 or Mix9&10). The manual does not seem to help/clarify on how to do this. Either this is a topic that is so easy it does not need any publication or I am just dumber than a box of rocks (the latter is probably true). I want to take audio out of the board and feed it to a camcorder to record the service on Sunday. I want to use “Mix4”.

I would appreciate any advice/guidance in a step by step manner in setting “Mix4” to feed audio from the board to the input of the camcorder. As with the other mixes, I want to be able to send the output of all the channels to the camcorder.
    I really appreciate the help!!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Larry Yates

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I’ll give it a try:

you have to set all input channels in Mix4 to “PostFade”.
    after that you move all input faders in Mix4 to 0dB.

the effect is that the Mix4 now plays all signals as they are controlled in the master level.

hpe this helps.

Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

Thanks Wolfgang!
    Let me see if I understand. There is a section in the manual with the heading: Channel Mix Sends screen. Do I start there and turn every channel on that I want for Mix4? Since Mixes 1,2, and 3 were already done, I should see them turned on. Correct????
    Larry

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What’s wrong with the Alt-out and/or 2TRK out ?

Giga

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

As Wolfgang said. That will give you a audio follow main mix out plus you can tweak a few things different for the video than how it sounds in the House. Your house mix and video mix probably need to be a little different due to the direct sounds in the room. But still once you get that set they will still follow levels and mutes. You need to be careful of the level to the camera. The mix outs are +4 line level. Your camera is likely only microphone level unless it has a line input. So you may need a Pad or level control. You might be able to just pull down the mix 4 master to where the level is good. Try experimenting. Another method is use an interface box like the Rapco laptop interface. Run it backwards. You will need a female to female XLR cable but then you can match better and have a level control on the interface to adjust. Hope that helps.

Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

I will look at the Alt-out and 2TRK, thanks. I realize I will have to some tweaking. We have not gotten a camcorder yet but are looking for one with an line input or XLR. I have looked at a similar interface as the Rapco laptop interface and doing just that if I needed to. My background is electrical engineering. We built microwave cavities and supportive components used in missiles. Prior to that, while working on my degree, I was an engineer for the local TV station, long long ago. I have been a ham radio operator since 1963, but working with the new sound boards can be quite intimidating for me with a steep learning curve on the software and learning the nomenclature. I do apologize for the stupid questions.

Please feel free to suggest anything. I will be able to do some experimenting this next week. It is kind of tough to do any experimenting before, during or after the Sunday service. Thanks again for all the input. I will get back with you with what I find out.
    Larry

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not stupid questions. Been in audio and video over 50yrs but I know absolutely nothing about missles other than I like to see them fly.

Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

Thanks GCumbee! It seems like the more you know about something, the more you realize you need to know more, a lot more. I am a little disappointed in the manual but I do understand it is for someone who uses digital boards often and not for the “weekend warrior”. Thanks again! I will see what I can do this coming week with the QU-16. Thanks for everyone’s input!!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Larry…

Are the three different remote speakers all receiving the same audio program? Do you just need separate level control or do you require different program content for each area?

Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

Hi Dick Rees,
    Yes, that is exactly right and I want to set up Mix4 on the “The Master Strip”. Mix1, Mix2 and Mix3 on the “The Master Strip” all receive the same audio. No difference in what is being sent to each mix, just maybe at different levels. I want the camcorder to receive the same audio from the QU-16 from Mix4 directly into the camcorder. There maybe some audio pads to make to adjust the levels (make or buy). In this way I don’t have to use the mic on the camcorder that may pick up extraneous audio. I camcorder will be about 100 feet away so I have to use the board audio. But all audio feeds are the same just different levels. I wish I could have been around more when the installation was being done.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I like to use the Alt Out for camera feeds. You can simply select the source you wish to feed the output and use the Alt Out pot to control the signal level being sent to the camera. Two points, though:

1. Use an isolation transformer on the camera feed to avoid getting any noise/buzz back into the audio from the camera power supply or any difference in ground potential between the camera power source and your audio gear. I use an EbTech HExlr model and recommend it or an equivalent piece.

2. Be aware that any “auto-leveling” or limiting in the camera will affect your audio. Better to apply any of this processing in the Qu before feeding it to the camera as even expensive video cameras do not have the dynamic control capabilities of the Qu. The cheaper the camera, the more precise control of the program dynamic range you’ll need before the camera.

Good luck.

Profile photo of LDY
    LDY
    Participant

I think it is already being used but I will check for sure. I was going to incorporate some type of isolation transformer for the same reason you brought up. Looks like I am going to be very busy this week, if I get the chance and the weather cooperates.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.