QU 16 expanded to 32 channels!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions QU 16 expanded to 32 channels!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pulgarin
    Pulgarin
    Participant

QU 16 expanded to 32 channels!
    is it possible in future?

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi,

Unfortunately not with the existing Qu-16 hardware! This would require both firmware and partial Qu-32 hardware, as more DSP horsepower would be needed.

DC

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It’s very easy to expand the Qu-16 to 32 channels.

Simply send it back to the dealer with $1600.00 and they’ll send you back a 32 channel model…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Dick, if you were kicked from this forum it would become a bit friendlier. That would be a great thing for sure.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I thought that was funny rather than unfriendly.

Ho hum.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

As did I.

The QU16 is a 22 channel mixer, if you need more then you need aa bigger console…

Dick Rees
    Participant

Dick, if you were kicked from this forum it would become a bit friendlier. That would be a great thing for sure.

You really need to get a sense of humor, my friend. I submit that the post you reference is hard to classify as criticism while your comment on it can only be interpreted as a direct attack in contradiction of your requirement for “friendliness”.

I post under my real name rather than hiding behind an alias… I am not ashamed to make a joke to make a point.

Relax.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Mark and Bob…

Thanks for your comments. I thought the humor was evident, but maybe I need to place a WARNING:THE FOLLOWING COMMENT IS INTENDED AS HUMOR disclaimer for the benefit of those who might be harmed by levity.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Smileys normally fulfill that function.

Tone of voice really doesn’t vome scross in text

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think it’s very obvious that the OP was not asking for a bigger console. Your ‘humor’ (if it isn’t you who needs a sense of real humor) consists in putting his question as a ridiculous one. You write, “to make a point”. But it’s you who missed the point and needs some explanation.

If you, as well as others in this forum, wouldn’t be hunting for “ridiculous” questions or feature requests you could just answer without being condescending. Maybe it’s the wish for being able to be the knowing guy that leads to misinterpreting questions and having so much ‘humor’? Just thinking…

The answer to the OP is quite simple: no, the Qu is not expandable in terms of channel count like other mixers. Its channel count is fixed even if you use it with larger stage boxes.

Feel free to use your real name if you wish.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

With the dsnake there it’s not unreasonable to ask if the desk can have extra layers defined… on the face of it at any rate.

With a bit deeper understanding it becomes obvious why that won’t work, but it’s a fairish question.

The one channel to one fader mapping is unusual in this domain.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Wasn’t this question definitively answered by A&H staff in the first reply?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Pulgarin
    Hello
    I have used 2 and 3 QU16s before together.
    Only way to link mixers like this is physical with analogue.
    I used the ST1 in to do this simple.
    And used a little box I had made to passively join outputs. All balanced.
    Interestingly I used analogue return to the stage via BSS EQs’& DBX comp.
    It all worked extremely well at both low volume and and extreme loud event.
    HOWEVER you have to always be thinking. That was late last year.
    I did another 3 day recording event using qu24 and QU16
    That was fine as well.
    Also used 2 QU16 joined with passive resistors as dedicated monitor desk. That worked well except that was before a particular update.

SO the point is you can use and join nearly anything in the analogue world.
    Need to watch phasing and comb filtering.

Some people scoffed at what I did.
    quoting “oh I would have just bought an iLive man” & “I wouldn’t have bothered”
    But it was me that did the gig and got paid AND
    those mixers have been used separately at the same time on other events.

Offense can only be taken.

dave NZ

Dick Rees
    Participant

Offense can only be taken

dhak…

I’m going to steal this one…

Wasn’t this question definitively answered by A&H staff in the first reply?

Yes, but (WARNING: sarcasm imminent) who wants to bother searching a Forum for previous replies to a question when you can just ask the question again?

BTW, I’d love it if the channel count could be expanded with an additional layer but don’t expect it without a completely new version of the console built from scratch. For now I’d be happy with a downward expansion option on the gates…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If processing horse power is the main restriction on expanding the channel count, why not allow a qu series mixer to control the Ilive idr mix racks and harness the processing power of those?

When the idr rack is connected to the Qu it could go into a sort of “qu mode” giving the same feature set as the qu and adding to the input count with processing done in the mix rack.

Control surface and layering of the fixed format surface would then be the next hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.