QU-16 Editor?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions QU-16 Editor?

This topic contains 100 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of fxk fxk 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

1. There is no giving up!
    There is eternal optimism.

2. What else would we write – it’s an unfortunate “meme”, but it does rather effectively convey the “add my voice to this request” sentiment.

3. Why would a plane help me? I have a QU, and I love it. But because it spends an amount of it’s life on hire it would be really useful for those people who use it to be able to play about and configure a show before the mixer arrives…
    It would be nice to be able to pull up a virtual QU on screen when answering questions here. An editor which could save scenes to a USB stick (appropriately configured) would be of significant use to many people, people for whom the feature set of a QU is just about perfect, and for whom the GLD range is somewhere between “out of reach” and “silly money”.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Ideally the feature suggestion pages would have some sort of mechanism in place to rank ideas in order of freshness or popularity, so that we don’t see the same idea copied across umpteen threads. A bit like Reddit?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Reddit looks interesting, I didn’t know it. As long as one vote per forum member can be assured it looks good!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Doesn’t need to be one vote per member, there might be several things I’d like to see.

Some (manageable) number of votes is probably more sane.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I meant one vote per feature per member.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yep, although I’d suggest a limited number of votes total per member as well, force people to prioritise.

Maybe 5 votes, worth 1.2, 1.1, 1, .9, .8?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sounds good too. Though I don’t think it’s comming anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ But you can keep trying. I’m waiting for the next NAMM, maybe there will be a new firmware by then. After that I don’t think anything more than details and bug corrections should be reasonably expected.

Unless… someone else comes out with a direct USB multitrack recording mixer with physical faders having the features we’re asking for. That might force some improvements. Other than that, I think it’s kind of futil to keep making suggestions here. That’s what the mixer is, I guess. We’ve written really a lot.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

We have written a fair amount – most of it in the wrong thread (I started another for this discussion).

If a company has a feature suggestion section on a forum then I kind of expect them to be seriously looking at the features being suggested.

I bought the mixer with a few things I still wanted to see…
    One of those has mostly been answered by the Qu-You app, although I’d still like to be able to hook up a second iPad remotely on the “metering” page (I tend to run that even if I’m using the mixer physically).

So I do have some optimism that features that are clearly possible could still be delivered by A&H. In the case of this thread I should point out that when I was speccing out the Church mixer we are now using I spent tens if not hundreds of hours with the Roland PC application – by the time we got the unit delivered (on a Friday, of course) I was in a position to flash the firmware and completely configure the desk in about 2 hours. Then I played with it physically for a long while, but all the major configuration was pre-done. I have done similar with a Berry desk.

I had to imagine my way around the QU with just the manual for guidance.

Whenever I take the QU out of stock I have to get it home early enough to make sure the mixer is in the state I have planned (on paper/spreadsheet) so that when I go to a gig it fires up and does what I want. I’d much rather be able to program it on a PC (or an iPad) at leisure and then just load it to the desk. I’d also suggest that people who aren’t as familiar with a variety of user interfaces would benefit from being able to have a virtual hands-on session…

Profile photo of tonmeister
    tonmeister
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would be prepared to “pay” for an off line editor for mac or PC with a serial code / email/ serial number of the unit (although I have 6 of these QU) to unlock the software
    I thought the QU ran on its own OS system, neither mac, PC or Linux?
    Then to design & build an off line editor would be a major undertaking?
    After R&D of the QU
    A&H surely must now be close to being a software company than ever before.

These are just some thoughts.

cheers

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I started to write an offline editor for the Qu series a while back. I had all of the MIDI commands working in a class module (no user interface) but then I discovered that I could not rename any of the channels unless I used the TCP/IP Port. And, since the mixer only allows a single connection to that port (which is used buy the Qu-Pad App, it was rather pointless. The reason I wanted an editor in the first place was so I could set up a new scene for the next band while mixing the first. Nicola verified that renaming is not supported via the USB Port. After that, I lost interest.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Something which could write scene files would do the job, doesn’t necessarily need to go over the USB port if you have a stick available. I presume you’d stop any recording when reloading anyway…

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Another supporting piece of software would add to the maintenence list for each release. An new version of the editor would need to be released alongside every firmware release. I suspect this is the reason why we don’t see an editor.

Profile photo of Tobias Kammerer
    Tobias Kammerer
    Participant

I really would like an Editor too. We also have iLive and GLD Systems in our stock and of course Allen & Heath could suggest to buy more expensive mixers to have the Editor feature and I can understand a decision like this. But i have all of these three Systems in my rental stock and I still hope to get the editor. Please have a look on your competitiors as for example the Yamaha 01v96. Itยดs much cheaper than a Qu and has a full Editor.

Best regards
    Toby

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.