QU 16 Direct Out Dilemma

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 16 Direct Out Dilemma

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CHICAGOAUDIO
    CHICAGOAUDIO
    Participant

I am considering using the QU16 or QU-24 console in a recording application, but need a way to get all 16 direct outputs to either analog audio or DANTE.

Based on what I can tell, it appears that the only way to get audio out of the board is via the USB 2.0 connection, which will only interface with a Mac.

Has anyone had any success outputting the channel direct outs in some other fashion?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Nope. And it will work on Windows. You might have to stick with analog.

CHICAGOAUDIO
    Participant

A truly unfortunate choice on the part of A & H. At least in the world we inhabit, DANTE is quickly becoming the interface of choice for multi-channel audio.

-S

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If your application is recording I do not understand why using USB is a problem? Going through Dante only adds cost and requires a different driver, don’t see a benefit if recording is your target.
    I did several multichannel recordings on both Mac and Windows (7 and 10) from Qu with additional local QuDrive recording for backup purposes.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

USB is fin for multitrack recording on this level. Either via the QuDrive or the USB-B connection at the rear. I just plugged the QU into my Linux box and it worked without issue…

CHICAGOAUDIO
    Participant

We are considering using this specifically for film production, which means we use a recorder that has specific metadata capability (such as the Sound Devices 970). These recorders do not support USB streaming sources.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Metadata, as in clapper based bookmarks?

Interesting – the default sample rate lends itself to film …

CHICAGOAUDIO
    Participant

No, a bit more complex than that in our world, unfortunately.

Sample rate clock stability, time code metadata, file naming conventions, track naming metadata, iXML support, etc.

-S

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I imagine that for clock stability you need a pretty good external clock (GPS?)

Analogue is likely the best bet unfortunately

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Qu can’t be synchronized to external clocks anyway. For this purpose you propably need somewhat more “pro”-gear.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Qu can’t be synchronized to external clocks anyway. For this purpose you propably need somewhat more “pro”-gear.

EXACTLY!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I think more ‘domain specific pro’ gear.

The QU does stuff that would have been considered high end pro mere moments ago…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

At least that scenario needs more pro (in terms of integratability, modularity, connectivity) than a Qu is able to offer.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

For recording, it’s hard to beat the capability of Presonus gear. Something like the Studiolive AI mixers are great recording interfaces, but they require a Firewire connection, will not work with USB. They have plug-in boards that support various interface protocols such as Dante. Their software runs on PC and well as Mac, and it works great. There is software for recording as well as for operating the console.

For live performance, the QU series is much more functional than the Studiolive AI. That’s why we use one for our church. Because of the simplicity and recording ease of the StudioLive, we use one for our theater group and Community Chorus.

Andreas, please provide more details about the Windows software you use for recording (Reaper?) and if ASIO support is needed.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Windows-driver-Help-V3.20.0.pdf

Reaper works really well with Windows

Some people have used other software and have bi-directional control working.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.