Qu-16 Custom Sets

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-16 Custom Sets

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jbriner
    jbriner
    Participant

So to start off with, I am decently new to the AV world. As my new role here, I have been in charge of heading up the AV department. My issue comes with the board that was installed here. We have a QU-16 and use the iPad app to control it mostly.

The issue I am having is that we have about 4-5 different groups that need to use this system, all with their own needs and people who do their AV. Examples would be a student lead praise team, Drama team, Athletic events in the gym, Banquets, etc… And I am not always at these events.

I was hoping to set some of the groups up as different users and give them certain access… ie.. our athletic events only need 3 channels and just turn the volume up or do. I figured out I could place them as a Basic user, and only give them a scene I made, but the issue is they still have access to all the channels, not just the 3 they need.

I thought about assigning them to a custom layer, but since those don’t change with the scene, I wouldn’t have enough spaces to place all my different groups on their own custom channels.

Is there a way to remove channels from users view?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The answer to your question is – No.

The security model for the QU does not have the granularity you desire. I suggest something like this:
    1. Set up security and assign your users to the Basic or Standard level, as appropriate.
    You will need to set up the Global Filter and Safes so that changes to any Scenes will not overwrite parameters critical to the basic operation of the mixer.
    2. Set up the Scene Ranges and User Scene to be used by each of these two groups. Administratively assign subgroups of these scenes to functional groups within each User Group.
    Example: Standard Users (Scenes 20-39)- Drama(scenes 20-25), Youth Worship (Scenes 26-32), Banquets (Scenes 33-39)
    3. Define the Access to Mixes you wish each User Group to have, and allow access to Custom layer Only.
    4. Set up the Custom Layer to provide access to the faders needed by these two operator groups and limit access to critical faders and controls.

Using the Custom Layer will make it possible to prevent non-Admin operators from accessing certain of your fader and control settings. You could administratively assign parts of the custom layer to different functional groups, repeating faders used by more than one group.

Train your users to the maximum degree possible (start simple and progress…) and insure that they understand the importance of not making control or scene changes that are not needed. One functional group must not make changes to scenes not in their assigned functional group, for example. Remember that if you treat your users like children, they will act that way.

That’s about all you can do with the limited security implemented on the QU mixers.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Have you looked at the Qu Control App? It could be all that your very basic users need.

Link

This would let you set it up to have only a few volume controls if that’s what’s needed, although it can do quite a bit more.

If the users have iPhones (or other iOS device) you could set up their own with only what they need, or just get hold of some old iPhones/iPads/iPods and set those up for different users.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I was going to mention Qu Control as, just finished an install where all but one user is controlling what they need with QU Control.

As for custom layers…..they can be set up and saved and recalled on a per scene basis, you need to be sure that custom layers are not blocked in the safes in the scene settings.

Another somewhat hidden scene feature is on the Qu Pad APP itself. If you go into the APP settings for QU Pad you can set the APP to load into custom layer one the custom layer that is set up on the mixer and it will follow the scene changes.

Profile photo of jbriner
    jbriner
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!

I will give the Qu Control a look. Maybe that can do exactly what I am looking for!

As for the custom layers… Not sure if something is wrong with our system, but if I change scenes, those custom layers (custom 1,2,3 on the qu app for iPad) don’t change at all. I checked to make sure they weren’t being blocked, and still, they don’t ever change when I save and switch scenes. Am I doing that wrong?

MarkPAman
    Participant

(This is from an iPad, the menus on the desk may be slightly different)
    Goto “Scenes” then on the left “Global Filter” and on the right hand side, select “Allow” for the Custom Layer – you may want to do the same for the Soft Keys, if they are used in different ways by different users.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The custom layers on the Ipad APP stay with the Ipad they are not loaded or referenced
    back to the mixer so that is why they do not change as you recall scenes.

However……………A somewhat hidden scene feature is on the Qu Pad APP itself. If you go into the APP settings for QU Pad you can set the APP to load into custom layer one the custom layer that is set up on the mixer and it will follow the scene changes provided the custom layer is not blocked during scene changes.

Even with that feature turned on custom layers two and three are still set up within the APP.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Sorry, somehow I missed that it’s the layers on the iPad you wanted to change – even though it says so very clearly!

Yep, everything mike says is correct!

Profile photo of jbriner
    jbriner
    Participant

This is what I needed! I didn’t realize that the custom layer 1-3 on the iPad app were not the same as the Custom Layer on the mixer itself.

So if I understand what you said correctly… I should be able to place the app on the iPad to go into a custom layer, (or set the users to only use the custom layer), and as long as that is allowed on the filters, it should change with the scene changes?

If so I think that will work out for me. I was able to move some user groups to only using the Qu-Control app, and then letting out larger band use the iPad with the custom layer.

Hopefully, this works out!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

On your iPad, go to Settings, and in the settings for the Qu-pad app there is an option to switch on that makes Custom Layer 1 in the app load the custom layer that’s on the board.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.