QU-16 blue screening!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-16 blue screening!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ejsound
    ejsound
    Participant

Hi,
    Just seeing if anyone else has experienced this.
    A part way though gig I lose connection to i-pad then check desk and it has a blue screen and is ‘stuck/frozen’ as in I can move sliders and nothing happens. I can not do anything, i.e mute or un mute, change volume, move between surfaces and the list goes on.
    I do have output though!

This is the 4th time in about 1 ½ years its happened, every time I take it back to shop and they test it and find nothing! They have sent it back and they found nothing either.

They suggested making sure its on its own power extension, done that and bought a pro quality ext cable.
    They suggested a new router, Done that and the same fault has occurred.

I had 1 i-Pad mini connected, and was trying to recored from desk (using what I have used before with no problems).
    I had to wait till the break and switch off, waited 5 mins (couldn’t wait longer as had a room full of paying customers in silence) then switched on again but without the router or usb plugged in, and got though gig.

Has anyone else ever had this and any ideas, got a gig tonight!!!

Getting frustrated
    Emily

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Line-interactive “always on” UPS.

https://www.tripplite.com/products/ups-battery-backup~11?2024=Line%2DInteractive

No, there are no substitutes for line-interactive units. Office supply store UPS’s are not the same.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

While a UPS is never a bad idea, you should be able to replicate the issue using a variac or something along those lines to feed the desk with under- or overvoltage.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of ejsound
    ejsound
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Do you think its a power issue? When it was sent back they didn’t have an answer just the suggestion that it was the router and to get another one. (the original router was one from their compatible list)
    I don’t want to replicate the issue, which is why I sent it back so they could tell me. But as they couldn’t find the fault I’m stuck with a desk that every so often goes wrong and sods law its usually an important gig.
    It has happened at 3 different venues 1 of which was a newly refurbished music venue so not convinced about power!

Has anyone else heard of this problem? I filmed it this time.

Thanks
    Emily

Dick Rees
    Participant

Who is/are “they”?

I would be very leery of “their” judgement if they suggested this is due to a router. The blue screen is certainly not coming from using wireless control.

Yes, brown power, a spike or some other anomaly is the first thing to suspect. You cannot assume that a new venue or new wiring is OK. In fact, you cannot assume ANYTHING without evidence/proof. However, this type of lockup is often the result of power supply issues, either venue or internal.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I did look up “reasons for blue screen” on a desktop in this case and I’m not really sure if and how that is comparabel to what we’re using. There seems to be no solid answer, it can be a number of things hardware or software related.
    Going by that line of thought, have you tried a fresh install of the software ?

Giga

Dick Rees
    Participant

If you’re going by the odds, a software/programming glitch is likely to recur frequently. A hardware glitch such as a loose cable, bad solder joint, etc will either require immediate attention or will start as a random problem and increase in frequency over time.

The fact that a re-boot of the power restores functionality points away from a hardware problem, but not 100%. I’m waiting for the video and any hard information on the venues where the incidents occured. Any place with a kitchen, lots of lighting or heavy-duty HVAC is suspect. Beyond that are the POCO issues like squirrels in the sub-station…

Profile photo of ejsound
    ejsound
    Participant

Yes after each time I have done a fresh software install, and I do the upgrade whenever there is one.
    As for the venues the 1st two times it was in a pub/restaurant/venue that I have heard other bands have problems with power which is why I bought the surge/spike protectors.
    The 2nd venue was a small music venue, I cannot vouch for the electrics there either.
    I have a tester that I use at all venues to make sure there are no problems with wiring.
    Both these venues I have gigged many times so it seems pot luck!
    Saturdays gig was at a larger music/ theatre venue, the cafe/kitchen was closed for the gig and they did mention that the gig room was on a separate ring main.
    I have attached the video, sorry its dark the band were still playing at this point.
    Sorry it won’t load i’ll have to make the file smaller!

Dick Rees
    Participant

Surge/spike protectors don’t do a thing for brown outs. They really don’t do much for spikes…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.