QU-16 Alt Outs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 Alt Outs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m looking to run a Sony PCM-D100 recorder from the Alternate Outs on the QU-16 to Line In on the Sony.

The Sony does not have an XLR input or Phantom Power, so I’m wondering if the fidelity here is “clean” enough (low noise, etc.)?

Mics (right now) are Blue Blueberry and Shure SM-81 LC.

Thanks!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@D42Guy

We record from alt out to a CD recorder. No phantom needed.
    Not sure how phantom power involves your recorder for this use case.

We do not have an XLR input so we have a cable that converts to the proper connector to fit the input on our Tascam.

Noise is not noticeable. We have about 16 mikes from our Qu32 to our recorder via aux.
    Not sure how those mikes you listed are part of the recording question unless you mean you run your channel strips to the aux out.

Aux out is fine with no obvious problems like I think you are asking about.

If the Sony does not take ANALOG input then you will have a problem with aux out.
    A quick search did not find any mention of a line in. If so and that is analog buy a converting connector.
    Does it have a usb connection? That could work with the right cable. Is that what you mean by line in?
    Then alt out will not work you need to use the usbB out.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have a similar model to that recorder.

Using the ALT OUT is a perfect output to feed the recorder as you can
    select and send any mix out on the board to that output and there
    is a handy ALT OUT level knob on the front surface.

The line input is 1/8 TRS stereo you will need a cable like
    this one to make the connection to the recorder.
    1/4 inch to 1/8 inch Y cable

Switch the recorder to line input, set the levels and your recording.

That all said you can easily record to the QU Drive using a USB stick (Kingston Data Traveler, you can also route any mix to the QU Drive to record.

The USB connection on the Sony recorder is only an output to off load files they also will work as a USB input audio interface if needed.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

So the sony line is is analog?
    None of the sites advertising the unit said that. I dont even recall finding them saying it had line in in the features.
    I did not search for the user manual.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just to clarify:

My understanding (the recorder is in transit to me) is that the “Line In” on the D100 is a combo optical/analog input. I’m guessing it can sense the difference like the older Macs.

Both of the mics are condenser mics which require phantom power. The Sony only offers PIP (5v) via it’s 1/8 external mic input.

Thanks to those who responded thus far!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m looking to record a live rock band situation with an external microphone, btw.

Bluebird > QU-16 Channel

Alt Out on QU-16 to Sony D100

The mixer will supply phantom power to the Blue mic.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes the analog line will also function as an optical input with an adapter fiber optic cable but in your case you need to use it as an analog input with a cable like I linked to.

So you are going to use the external Blue Bluebird mic connected to the mixer to do a room mic recording of the band.

Is the mixer also being used to mix the band for the AP system?
    Do you want any of the direct board mix on the recording?

If the mixer is also used to mix the band for the PA you will want to create a separate mix for the recording so the room mic does not go to the main LR PA mix, in that mix you could add in some of the direct inputs. Depending how far back the room record mic
    is from the stage you could get some time delay issues if you combine the room mic
    with direct input channels.

You could do a multitrack recording to a USB stick that would include the room mic
    and mix it down after the show.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Mike C,

That’s a great idea (separate mix).

BTW, I’m still learning re: use of the QU-16.

Thanks!

volounteer
    Participant

@D42Guy

Indeed a separate mix in a DAW is better but your first post never said that was what you needed but focused on using the sony.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.