QU-16 – a LIVE or Studio console ?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 – a LIVE or Studio console ?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ljefe ljefe 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

From your experience do you think that the QU is more of a “live oriented” console or a Studio console ?

I am starting to see that the QU, and it’s global functionality (Patching In’s / Out’s, etc.), is directed essentialy for Live performance.
    Comparing for instance with the Yamaha 01v96i.

What do you think ?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use it as a live desk – and it does an excellent job. There are features that are fully studio oriented though.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi edu,

Assuming you’re a prospective buyer, what is your intended use case? What features are you looking for? I’m not sure your question necessarily helps you decide whether to buy. Officially speaking though, it’s been designed for live, studio and installation. I’m happy to answer any further questions.

DC

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Personally, as someone who has been in the studio business and live for 40yr, I would call it a live mixer that just happens to output BWAV files. I would never consider it a studio mixer. Not in my world of thinking. Of course there are those who might dispute that and have made it work but I think the abundance of issues with overdubbing etc with DAW interface seen here prove that. I really do not think that A&H had in mind for it really being a studio mixer. Just my .02 worth.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have 6 synthesizers and a drum machine that I will connect to the QU, for Audio recording. And I also have a MIDI Interface (8×8), where I connect all my synth via MIDI, for MIDI recording.
    The main goal is to record Audio / Midi, multitracking / overdubbing (track by track), into a DAW (Logic Pro or Ableton Live). This is the main goal: Studio recording.

I have a QU-16 at home at this precise moment, for testing. Don’t get me wrong. After working with it for a while, I can clearly see that this is a top of the range product from Allen & Heath. The build quality is absolutely superb. So what I am explaining has nothing to do with this aspect.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think that if I wanted a desk only or mainly for studio use, I’d have picked something else. Or possibly followed several friends who seem to have gone down the “no desk at all” route recently.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Dont give up
    Allen and Heath advertise the QU as both Live and in the Studio.
    It is both “to a price point”

Profile photo of ljefe
    ljefe
    Participant

I’m using it mostly for recording. I don’t have a single complaint. As a USB interface into my Mac it’s been flawless, the best computer recording experience I’ve had. You’ll need to get another interface for MIDI in/out, though.

There are features on the Qu-16 that are geared toward live mixing, but A & H have done a great job of making the mixer work very well for both applications. It’s a wonderful piece of gear.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.