Width range in PEQ

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Width range in PEQ

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DMAudio DMAudio 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I may be missing something obvious, but Width on the qu-16 PEQ appears to range from 0 to 3.

I see a lot of discussion about other eq devices where the q range is 0 to some large number.

Is there a formula for translating these two ranges, so that if someone tells me q is 5, I can set correct width on QU-16?

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

I’m not sure where you got your information. This is how the “Q” or width is described in the Users Manual.

Width – Each band has a bell-shaped response. The
    width of the bell can be varied from a very wide 1.5
    octaves affecting many frequencies to a very narrow
    1/9th octave affecting a small range of frequencies.
    Setting LF or HF to widest position changes its
    response to shelving.

I hope this helps.

Barryjam
    Participant

Thank you. It helps in showing that my scaling assumption about qu-16 was wrong. I guess I still need help in understanding how to translate numbers from discussions where someone says (for tuning a particular speaker) he uses a q of say 5.5. How do I translate that 5.5 number into the corresponding QU-16 width setting?

Barryjam
    Participant

I think I may have answered my own question by finding this:

https://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

Could be useful for other newbies.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Unfortunately it’s far from a simple formula. See https://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

However, learning a few of the figures from the little table near the bottom of that page may help you do what you want.

For what it’s worth, a q of 5.5 would be around 1/4 of an octave.

Edit – I obviously type too slow!

Barryjam
    Participant

Thank you, Mark.

You helped me confirm that I was finally on the right track!

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Maybe I’m looking at this from a different perspective, but surely the formula of the Q width is inconsequential.

What I mean is, if you’re ‘mixing by numbers’, it might sound OK, but unless you’re using your ears to find out what that width should be, you might as well leave the EQ alone. Always know why you’re adjusting something, before you start adjusting it.

Barryjam
    Participant

In general, I absolutely agree with you, DMAudio.

This particular use, however, is an initial setup of some well-known monitor speakers, where a highly-respected soundman has advocated alternative tunings that many users find better than the manufacturer’s tunings, again for the initial flat setting, presumably outdoors. No doubt individual rooms will require further refinement.

Before the Qu-16 (Mixwiz), I’ve never had access to ANY eq for monitors and have just gone output to amp to monitor. So now I have access to way more tools to experiment with and learn. Heck, I can always turn the PEQ off and be back exactly where I was.

Today I learned about bandwidth vs. Q. Nice!

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Ah I see, makes more sense when you put it like that. Personally, I’d like to see them implement SMAART somehow, probably in the QuPad app. I used the SMAART tools on my Presonus desk and whilst they’re by no means the be all and end all, they do help when flattening out a room or compensating for certain speakers. A hand held RTA with some pink noise generated works pretty well too.

Barryjam
    Participant

I just got my qu-16. You mention hand-held RTA. What do you think of using the included RTA on the qu-16? I have a DBX condenser test mic and could sample pink noise in various portions of a room.

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

That would work nicely too 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.