Punchbag?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Punchbag?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Okay,

I’ve never heard this expression used with regards to signal processing. What the heck is this compressor type about? Any recommended uses for it relative to the other types?

For that matter, I’m not sure I understand the difference in application between the two Manual types, either.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Anybody? Bueller?

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Is this thing on? Mic check…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

A quick search on Google (you may have heard of it), brings up this:

Compression and limiting – the Punchbag Analogy

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Astonishing! I had to use my AOL search engine to search for the word “Google,” and the first dozen results only had to do with protective eyewear, but I found it! I had no idea such a wealth of information was at my fingertips! 😉

Ok, seriously…no need to patronize. I had already skimmed that article, which seemed at the time and still seems to merely be one person’s (who as far as I know does not represent this company) opinion on how compression in general ought to sound. Not an explanation of what seems to be a proprietary A&H algorithm or where and how to use it. Hence my question here.

I have no idea whether anyone at A&H read that article or whether it has anything to do with this compressor algorithm.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I had heard of the term in the past but wasn’t sure why it was showing up on the console. Nothing more than a particular settings setup. I have not tried it yet or even looked at the settings. Those would tell what it really is.

I was really shocked when I got my GLD’s to see PARALLEL as a part of compressor settings. A old style sort of wet/dry thing. That has been around since the early days of recording. It was sometimes called ‘New York Compression’. Guess it started in studios there. I thought that was cool of A&H to have that. I use it a lot. Especially on vocals.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Ok, seriously…no need to patronize.

You’re right. I apologise.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

QU-16 offers a selection of the compression types / algorithms found in our iLive series.

Auto modes automatically adjust the attack and release according to the dynamics of the signal. Punchbag and Slow Opto are modelled over / inspired by two popular analogue units: a modern, transistor-based industry standard and a classic optical-based compressor respectively. The former is often used to add weight to kick drums and bass, the latter is frequently found on vocal chains, but there is no fixed recipe – it is mainly down to mixing style and engineer preference.

For more read up on compressor designs and peak vs. rms sensing you can start from here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Peak_vs_RMS_sensing

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thank you, Nicola.

Profile photo of PollDav
    PollDav
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the breif descriptions of what the punchbag and opto compressors are based on.

Could you add any details as to the attack and release times for these two emulations? Are they programme dependant like the dBx emulations, or fixed settings?

If you can’t provide figures could you confirm whether the attack and release times are based on the vintage hardware on which they are based?

Many thanks

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@nicola A&H

Please cite the page number in the documentation that explains the 4 compression types available.

Thanks.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

page 22

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

page 22 of what?

I searched the Qu document AP9372 and the only punchbag I found was in the list of features at the end.

I found this explanation online from a magazine article

Their are four different compressor modes built into the compressor module. The first two are manual modes: Manual Peak and Manual RMS. Manual Peak responds to transients which cross the threshold and can be used in a similar fashion to a brickwall limiter when set with a high ratio and fast attack and release settings. Manual RMS responds to the average level and is more useful as a moderate channel compressor. The Manual RMS is the default compressor on each channel.

The remaining two modes have automatic attack and release characteristics. The Auto Slow Opto behaves like an optical compressor, with slow attack and release characteristics and was a favourite of ours on live vocals, enabling us to get a consistent vocal sound from our system. The final mode is the Auto Punchbag which has a faster, VCA-like, auto response – a good starting point with drums for users not overly familiar with attack and release settings who want to avoid the two manual modes.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

AP9372-2 page 22
    AP9372-10 page 33

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Thank you.

Now to try to find those other versions.
    https://www.allen-heath.com/resources/ says ap9372 no results for ap9372
    pls tell me I do not have to put in capital letters for the AH site to find a document

AH knowledge base link has 5 articles none of which are ap9372

Drilling down by clicking on Qu32 I finally see a documents tab that took me to a link to dl A9372, which I would hope would be the latest version.

I downloaded from that official Ah link, and got the same manual that I had, which does not have anything about punchbag on any page except the last one which is 92.

I think I saw a __ten version somehwere in my searches but the only AH page that I found which has ap9372 has no dash nor version number and when I dld it I got a duplicate (2nd duplicate in fact!) of previous dls of that manual.

I still would like to see the original link that AH removed explaining their versions of compression by the designer put back on the AH website by AH.

It would be nice if AH put the date of publication and also dates of every revision of their manuals or put a new larger number on their latest and greatest tome so we mere users could keep them straight. It would be even greater if AH had a text list of ALL documents both current and historical with their ID number AND date and WORKING link to them.

@KeithJ A&H
    any comments or clues?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Punchbag?’ is closed to new replies.