Protools banking up problem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Protools banking up problem

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Deslog
    Deslog
    Participant

We have standard pro tools 11 and have the QU-24 connected. We set one of the softkeys to bank up which it does but only 7 of the faders work.

So the first bank allows us to move the faders on the first 24 tracks in ProTools.
    The second bank(soft key button assigned)allows us to use the last 7 tracks in ProTools.

We have 40 tracks in ProTools including busses and master fader.

So it seems that bank down is the first 24 tracks and bank up is the last 7 tracks.

I suspect that this problem may be that Protools standard has only 32 I/O’s.
    I guess 24 tracks + 7 tracks + masterfader = 32 tracks.

What do you all think?

Profile photo of Victor Kennedy
    Victor Kennedy
    Participant

Hope you don’t mind me joining in on this topic.
    I’m not sure about that particular issue, but I have a similar problem with my QU-16 and Pro Tools 12.6.

Recently I had the Graphics card in my iMac repaired and so the studio system was down.

Prior to this I had the soft keys all working fine with Pro Tools, but now, after setting up again, I have one of the soft keys set for Record and two others set for Bank UP/DOWN but they aren’t functioning as they should.

The banking won’t move Up or Down, but the first 8 channels on PT Mixer are highlighted, and I can use the Mutes etc on those, but I can’t get them to move to the next sets of 8 channels. Also the Record function Soft Key isn’t working.

Anyone got a suggestion for a fix?

Profile photo of Deslog
    Deslog
    Participant

Were you previously able to bank up and down to as many tracks as you like in Pro Tools?

Profile photo of Victor Kennedy
    Victor Kennedy
    Participant

Yes, I had full operation with Banking and Rec soft keys.
    I was able to bank up/down to plenty of tracks in Pro Tools, in bank groups of 8.

I can’t remember how many tracks I had in sessions, because I don’t necessarily count them (ha) but any session might see me with several ‘channels’ set to “Hide + Disable” in PT, and combinations of Midi and Audio and several Aux busses for sub-mixes etc.

But I could certainly get around without problems. Since I’ve had no feedback on this I’ve not spent time trying to sort it out, instead just getting more RSI in my wrists from the trackball/clicking. When I get a chance I’ll try and investigate further, but am still keen to hear what others say.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Deslog,

Go to Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers and change the #4 controller from HUI to none.

The last bank of 8 faders (25-32) are likely assigned to a controller that isn’t there.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Deslog
    Deslog
    Participant

Hi Alex

I’m a bit late back to see this reply. Thanks for the tip. I will check it out when i get back in the studio.
    I have the latest ProTools subscription, just the standard but is my banking up and down limited to 32 channels? I heard ProTools standard allows for only 32 I/O’s. Is this a separate thing as opposed to a control surface which can bank say up to 64 tracks?

Thanks again.

Anthony

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Deslog,

The banking function is not limited, but because DAW Control MIDI 4 was assigned to channels 25-32 on the Qu, these channels didn’t show up on the Qu-24 as they don’t exist (The Qu-24 is limited to 24 MIDI channels).

When you remove DAW Control MIDI 4 it only uses channels 1-24 (DAW Control MIDI 1, 2 and 3) and the bank up then displays channel 25 and up.

Thanks!

Alex

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.